Politics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thatsmeans I can marry one of them.Unfortunatly I will have to take one for the team

Beerisyummy said:
It's fairly scary just how many voters have no idea about who they are voting for.

Mardoo said:
Much less who that creepy bloke in the mirror is. ;)

Beerisyummy said:
Are we talking Michael Jackson style or that half naked dentist?
We're talking, "How does that thing work and who's that dude who's always there?"

http://youtu.be/_-agl0pOQfs

Beerisyummy said:
Very bold indeed. I can't see it happening personally, but that shouldn't stop you from having a dream. ;)

This election result should at least give the ALP a reason to get their act together and flush away some of the turds that have been stuck in the bowl for the last six years.
Not a dream, I just can't see Abooot holding to promises he has made to the others and a possible revolt.

Labor needs to flush its turds. As a friend of mine in the PoliSci department at Harvard said about the Labor leadership rollovers, "You do know your government is the laughing stock of the world, don't you? It's better in Bangladesh!" The last three years have been appalling and Labor deserved the backhand it got.

Me? Not at all thrilled about Abooot, but it was inevitable.

Mardoo said:
Overly bold prediction: The Coalition will fall apart within 12 to 18 months.
. Would this before or after Joe Hockey takes over as leader. ...cheers...spog...

Not a dream, I just can't see Abooot holding to promises he has made to the others and a possible revolt.

Labor needs to flush its turds. As a friend of mine in the PoliSci department at Harvard said about the Labor leadership rollovers, "You do know your government is the laughing stock of the world, don't you? It's better in Bangladesh!" The last three years have been appalling and Labor deserved the backhand it got.

Me? Not at all thrilled about Abooot, but it was inevitable.
WTF was that film clip? I nearly pissed my pants.
"Music is a miracle. You can't even touch it."

It's a fair point you make about a revolt. I agree with the part where Abbott will go back on his promises and piss people off, but I'm not sure a Labor style revolt will be the result.
If it does happen they may as well just bite the bullet and merge the major parties. As it is, none of them seem to run very left or right anyway.

I've always based my voting on what I think is best for the country rather than my own personal short term gains. IMO it was definitely time for Labor to go.
That doesn't mean I like Tony Abbott. I just want a stable government.

I wonder if the crikey cartoonist will remove the bucket from Tony's head now?

I take back what I said about preferential voting making a lot of sense (at least in the senate).

"They include Wayne Dropulich, a gridiron-playing engineer who is likely to win election as a senator from Western Australia. His Australian Sports Party has no policies other than advocating lots of sport, and won just 0.22 per cent of the vote. But with preferences from other small parties, he is likely to get a Senate quota ahead of the second Labor candidate, who had 12.33 per cent.

In Victoria, Ricky Muir is set to win the final seat. He stood for the Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party, which appears to have no policies apart from representing what it sees as motorists' interests. He won 0.53 per cent, but with a swag of preferences, he appears set to unseat Liberal senator Helen Kroger, who had 10.52 per cent.

In NSW, many voters facing a ballot paper of 45 party columns and 110 names responded by putting a 1 in the first box on the ballot paper, which belonged to a party calling itself "Liberal Democrats". An astonishing 8.88 per cent of voters voted for the Liberal Democrats, which will see the right-wing party's candidate and gun rights supporter David Leyonhjelm take a seat from Labor."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/sport-and-motoring-enthusiasts-to-join-senate-in-new-hung-parliament-20130908-2tdqm.html

Cant see much actually happening in the near future. Abbott will have a hard time getting things through the senate.

I'm glad the LNP don't have a majority but sheesh. Two senators with no stated policy positions?

some good commentary by Annabel Crabb:

"And the strongest trend telegraphed by this new Senate appears, at this stage in the counting, to be a tremendous swing towards None Of The Above.

Last night's ABC projections were for the Coalition to have 33 Senate seats, and the ALP 25, with a staggering 18 seats for Greens, Palmerites, accidental Liberal Democrats, motoring enthusiasts, and so forth.

In order to pass legislation, Mr Abbott needs 39 Senate votes. So for every contentious item, he will be obliged to extract six helpers from the discordant collection of chancers the great Australian voting public saw fit to bestow upon him at the weekend. It is a parable of Biblical proportions. The man who so harshly punished Julia Gillard for succumbing to political circumstance in minority government now faces - after his own glorious victory - a living, breathing balance-of-power nightmare.

Perhaps the most sensible option, in these circumstances, might be simply to deal with the Opposition in the Senate? Hmmm; the last time a government dealt productively with an opposition over a key policy reform was in 2009, when Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull arrived at an agreement on carbon pricing, only to be blown up by… the man who was just elected prime minister.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-09/crabb-tony-abbott-prime-minister/4944780

Can see it... "Mr Abbott,one of your key election promises was to scrap the carbon tax but now you are saying that we will be keeping it "

"No but I didnt write it down, now as I said before if it is not written down.............."

Liam_snorkel said:
"In NSW, many voters facing a ballot paper of 45 party columns and 110 names responded by putting a 1 in the first box on the ballot paper, which belonged to a party calling itself "Liberal Democrats". An astonishing 8.88 per cent of voters voted for the Liberal Democrats, which will see the right-wing party's candidate and gun rights supporter David Leyonhjelm take a seat from Labor."
Urgh! What's that drilling through my forehead!!! Jesus, Mary and Jesus Jr, that is just screwed.

Wow, I had heard about the Liberal democrats getting a heap of dodgy votes. Didn't realise just how batshit crazy they were.

""What happens is that criminals don't know who's carrying a gun and they're very wary of using a gun themselves because they don't know who's going to shoot back at them," he said."
Somehow I don't think a criminal gives a rats arse once they've decided to pull a gun.
What happens is that once someone's started pulling the trigger people get shot and the person doing the shooting doesn't **** about.
Shit fight in the OK corral.
Sounds like a great place to live, short as your life may be.

"In actual fact it's a massive deterrent. You don't make a safer society by taking the guns off the good guys and leaving the bad guys to have the guns."
It's bad enough that ( as a law abiding citizen)you're more likely to get shot by the police in this state. Somehow many "good" citizens with guns are going to curb the gun violence in western Sydney.
Yeh Ha!!!

Liam_snorkel said:
No, no - I think he's onto something.

He also says it is an "objective fact" that the Sandy Hook school massacre in the United States could have been avoided if teachers had been armed.

Right, because its an 'objective fact' that a psychopath armed with a two automatic pistols and an assault rifle is no match for a petrified teacher attempting desperately to heard a classroom full of hysterically frightened and confused first graders out of harms way whilst fumbling for a government issued handgun.

He also says it is an "objective fact" that the Sandy Hook school massacre in the United States could have been avoided if teachers had been armed.[/size]

Right, because its an 'objective fact' that a psychopath armed with a two automatic pistols and an assault rifle is no match for a petrified teacher attempting desperately to heard a classroom full of hysterically frightened and confused first graders out of harms way whilst fumbling for a government issued handgun.
You're forgetting that in la la land the good guys always win.

Can you imagine a teacher firing off a few rounds at an attacker in an Australian school demountable block? Just as dangerous as the attacker.
Maybe they should give the teachers assault rifles instead. ;)

Dave70 said:

He also says it is an "objective fact" that the Sandy Hook school massacre in the United States could have been avoided if teachers had been armed.

Obviously, you haven't seen Kindergarten Cop.

Looks like Pauline has won a seat and Clive Palmer may have two. Hi Ho its off to work we go.

Reckon she'll be there just to cause trouble (since Abbott is the one who got her sent to prison)?

Latest posts

Back