Politics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
speaking of ol mate Clive, I am absolutely convinced he is in it just for a good time. His policy statements are along the line of: "I'm going to halve income tax for all Australians" and "I'm talking about a revolution!".

and this, which is legitimately great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrIvuLS0Mg
Seeing some of his candidates on TV they should be renamed The Fat Bastards Party. Beer and meat pies anybody ?

Rudd The Fake walked straight past a homeless man after having some photos taken with another rent-a-crowd this morning in "Briz".

I know he probably couldn't have helped him directly, but it would have shown that he is a compassionate person, if he had simply expressed some concern for the person, instead he walked by, it showed again who he really is.

Saturday can't come quick enough.

I'm sure Tony would have offered him a handjob.

Hope that's not all you're basing your voting choices on but I'm concerned it might be.

Black Devil Dog said:
Rudd The Fake walked straight past a homeless man after having some photos taken with another rent-a-crowd this morning in "Briz".
Saturday can't come quick enough.
I'm guessing Tony won't be a huge improvement on that front. Honestly I feel like I'm voting for the hammer or the axe (death by) this year. No hope involved whatsoever, just "how can we avoid the worst outcome."

Clive Palmer has an ad circulating around the sunshine coast claiming how he wants a better airport for the sunshine coast and better roads. Hmm is that so he can travel better on the way to an upgraded airport to jump on his personal jet with the public footing the bill.

BTW, Rudd is doing that cooking gig on the ABC ATM. watched Abbott on it last night was awesome.

manticle said:
I'm sure Tony would have offered him a handjob.

Hope that's not all you're basing your voting choices on but I'm concerned it might be.
Thank's for your concern, but don't worry, I'll be making the right choice.

I'm not worried about whether your choice is right or agrees with mine. i just hope it's based on genuine assessment of real events and issues, not bollocks like what Krudd or Scabbot had for breakfast.

People have different opinions. Some of those opinions are informed, some aren't. If yours are informed and you reach a conclusion entirely different to mine then I hold a pint glass up to you and wish you the best even if I think your choice sucks arse.

manticle said:
I'm not worried about whether your choice is right or agrees with mine. i just hope it's based on genuine assessment of real events and issues, not bollocks like what Krudd or Scabbot had for breakfast.

People have different opinions. Some of those opinions are informed, some aren't. If yours are informed and you reach a conclusion entirely different to mine then I hold a pint glass up to you and wish you the best even if I think your choice sucks arse.
And who should the non informed vote for? Those who have 3 kids to care for, their own business to run, elderly parents to nurse and little time or perhaps knowledge to educate their vote?

Not having a go Manticle, I just disagree with voting being legislated as compulsory. If only the people who cared, thought through and wanted to, voted, elections would be different.

Black Devil Dog said:
Righto...........whatever.
Suggesting you have a right to an opinion that's considered and informed, even if I disagree with it.
Hardly the worst criticism I could make mr whatever.

King kong - interesting issue the compulsory voting one and I'm not sure where I stand. However being busy is not an excuse for being wilfully ignorant.

If voting weren't compulsory we'd have a situation where lobby groups (such as the ACL) have more sway. We'd have to spend time convincing people to vote, not just who to vote for.

It's the lesser of evils, compulsory voting, i.e. in non compulsory voting India, the slums, shanty towns and bogans do the bulk of the voting. The 'informed' middle class just sit by in disgust rather than make some hard choices between idiot#1, idiot#2, ahole#3 and ****#4.

Quite pathetic.

Exactly. You would have a situation whereby, say most people couldnt be bothered voting and you get a loony fringe party get power cause they get their supporters to vote and get in because we couldnt be bothered voting against them......just like the US of A

Liam_snorkel said:
If voting weren't compulsory we'd have a situation where lobby groups (such as the ACL) have more sway. We'd have to spend time convincing people to vote, not just who to vote for.
manticle said:
Suggesting you have a right to an opinion that's considered and informed, even if I disagree with it.
Hardly the worst criticism I could make mr whatever.
King kong - interesting issue the compulsory voting one and I'm not sure where I stand. However being busy is not an excuse for being wilfully ignorant.
I think the majority of ignorant are not ignorant by choice, rather they are ignorant by necessity. If people were convinced they needed to vote, that would be a good thing. They would be voting for a genuine reason. Not because they have to.

practicalfool said:
It's the lesser of evils, compulsory voting, i.e. in non compulsory voting India, the slums, shanty towns and bogans do the bulk of the voting. The 'informed' middle class just sit by in disgust rather than make some hard choices between idiot#1, idiot#2, ahole#3 and ****#4.
Quite pathetic.
I will have to pull you up on any comparison drawn between Australia and India... your comparing apples with oranges.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Exactly. You would have a situation whereby, say most people couldnt be bothered voting and you get a loony fringe party get power cause they get their supporters to vote and get in because we couldnt be bothered voting against them......just like the US of A
Liam_snorkel said:
What fringe party is in power in America?

The examples you gave - single mothers, small business owners etc are precisely the people who need to make themselves aware. Compulsory or not makes no difference - political decisions affect them. They can be a small part of those decisions or have no influence at all.

Informing yourself doesn't start or end with voting by the way.

Ignorant by necessity is the homeless mentally ill guy, not the small business owner. Homeless guy/girl needs representation more than anyone though.

Back