Plumbing For Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi guys, Ive just ordered a pump from specialK and wondering what plumbing gear is needed (and where can i get it) I was going to use Brass 1/2 fittings at this stage as SS is a bit steep, though a future option. I also notice plastic stuff from guys like Colder in the US. Are these OK or too expensive?

On a more immediate front how have people hooked up the mashmaster chill out device. Brass fittings?

And finally were to get the hoses? Any ideas and what are OK to use and prices? I'm in WA if any locals have specific stores that they know of, but I'm happy to order from anywhere globally if the price and specificationbs are good.

I want my setup to last a while and potentially be upgraded! Cheers guys

brass is fine, you can pick up everything you need from just about any hardware store.
For the lines to the copper coil look for food grade hose, look for the reinforced stuff that looks like air hose but is marked food grade. You can attach that to the copper coil simply with hose clamps. To join the hose to the pump get some brass fittings with the right size thread for the pump and with barbs for the hose side and hose clamp them in. Pretty much then bobs your mothers drunken brother.

Happy Brewing.
Jayse

brass is fine, you can pick up everything you need from just about any hardware store.
For the lines to the copper coil look for food grade hose, look for the reinforced stuff that looks like air hose but is marked food grade. You can attach that to the copper coil simply with hose clamps. To join the hose to the pump get some brass fittings with the right size thread for the pump and with barbs for the hose side and hose clamp them in. Pretty much then bobs your mothers drunken brother.

Happy Brewing.
Jayse

Thanks Jayse, my GF dad works at a hardware store so I've just got him to get me a quote.
Hopefully the price will be in budget (or I won't be eating again tonight)

Where can I get food grade hose that can handle temps in Perth? Bunnings had a lot of hoses but the food grade stuff looked like it may melt under heat. The hose suppliers in the Yellow pages seem to be concerned with hydrolics or custom fittings.
I've bought SS fittings and valves from stirlings today so looking at getting the hose ASAP. Also what size hose clampsa are needed for 1/2" SS fittings?
Cheers

I found the clear, braided washing machine hose works just fine.

Grain and Grape sell silicon hose for about $12 or $13 a metre. Good for very high temps.

no affiliation etc...

Another vote for silicone hose from G&G. Beautiful stuff and well worth the price if you ask me. You usually don't need much of it, I have a total of 2m in my brewery but of course your mileage may vary.

Cheers, Justin

BTW, if you do a search there is heaps of info on here regarding pump fittings and hoses etc. Should keep you reading all night :p

I used the braided under sink plumbing hoses with female threads on the ends. They dont screw onto the pump to well so grap a twin pack of 30cm extention hoses with a male thread on one end and an extra deep female which threads onto the pump well. I guess they are ok to use as you can run hot water through them and the water we drink travel through them to the spout then into our drinking glasses.
I got mine from bunnings one 1m long @ $10, 1 pack of extenions 30cm @$10

Hope this helps.

Just ordered 3m of silicon hose of G&G online. I spoke to a hose wholesaler over here who said I'd have to buy 6m length that would come from over east anyway!

Silicone hose from G&G is a great insulator

Pumpy :)

Back