Plumbing For Dummies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarks5

Reaction score
I'm almost embarrassed to ask the following question - but plumbing is not one of my strong points.

I'm replacing the tap on a Crown Urn (which surprisingly came off without too much grunting).

Now, I have a ball valve (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1166)

a threaded pipe (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4210)

2 x washers (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3902)

2 x locking nuts (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4211)

and an o-ring (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2842)

My question is: what goes where? No matter which way I organise the o-ring and washers I can't seem to seal it. Should I be using thread tape on these threads? Am I missing any bits?

Cheers,

Tony

Definitely use thread tape. It's hard to use too much and it will help seal.

O-ring goes against the wall of the vessel. Washer goes between the o-ring and the nut. Nut goes last.

Some silicon will help on the outside if there are any leaks (silicon and caulking gun needed).

Alternatively a great solution I picked up from vitalstatistix recently is to buy a silicon baking tray and cut washers out of it so you have a silicon washer/oring in place of the other. Place inside against the vessel wall.

To make a weldless bulkhead I would use 2 washers and organise them as follows from outside in,
Tap, washer, o ring, urn, o ring, washer, nut.
May need to "shape" the washers so they push hard up against the curved wall of the Urn.

Drew

Definitely use thread tape. It's hard to use too much and it will help seal.

O-ring goes against the wall of the vessel. Washer goes between the o-ring and the nut. Nut goes last.

Some silicon will help on the outside if there are any leaks (silicon and caulking gun needed).

Alternatively a great solution I picked up from vitalstatistix recently is to buy a silicon baking tray and cut washers out of it so you have a silicon washer/oring in place of the other. Place inside against the vessel wall.

Thanks Manticle,

So on the outside of the vessel wall I have a lock nut and s/s washer and on the inside of the wall I have o-ring, washer and locking nut? Is that right?

Cheers,

Tony

To make a weldless bulkhead I would use 2 washers and organise them as follows from outside in,
Tap, washer, o ring, urn, o ring, washer, nut.
May need to "shape" the washers so they push hard up against the curved wall of the Urn.

Drew

Thanks Drew,

I'll try an additional o-ring.

Cheers,

Tony

If you cant get a good seal sometimes the o rings don't push down the thread very well if its tight. Ensure the o ring is as snug around the thread at the hole threw the vessel on both sides as possible. I also use an o ring on both the inside and the outside just to make sure and that's how my original bulkhead came.

Also if the o rings are useless as manticle said nip to the $2 shop and grab a silicone baking tray and make your own.

For my money.. Get it sealed as per above, but if you need silcone to do it, your in trouble. Washers and thread tape all good. Silicone not for long term. You want to rely on good joints when things get tested at heat and presure. If you rely on silicone you will find failed joints later.
2 cents
Daz

Silicone is like a second pair of undies. Better to do without it, handy to know it's there.

That's the stuff in the tube, not the washers. Washers are tops.

Can't recommend homemade silicon bakeware washers enough. Can handle the heat and seem to work better on curved surfaces than o rings. You can use a couple ontop of each other and really screw the fittings down tight into the silicon. I have the same homemade washers after 7 yrs and no leaks

Cheers
Chris

I've found that the simplest way to attach a ball valve and a picky up tube to a vessel is by using a stainless compression fitting.

You can attach your ball valve with the thread presented on the outside with a washer against the wall of the vessel. Inside, have a silicone o-ring, washer, then the compression nut (with the pickup tube inserted) seals against the washer. Too simple.

Like this; available from Craftbrewer or Beer Belly
31Yw767m-KL._SL120_.jpg

I've found that the simplest way to attach a ball valve and a picky up tube to a vessel is by using a stainless compression fitting.

You can attach your ball valve with the thread presented on the outside with a washer against the wall of the vessel. Inside, have a silicone o-ring, washer, then the compression nut (with the pickup tube inserted) seals against the washer. Too simple.

Like this; available from Craftbrewer or Beer Belly
31Yw767m-KL._SL120_.jpg

Thanks Argon, and thanks for the pic.

Tony

Back