"plan" To Obtain Things Needed To Move From Biab To 3v

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi Guys, As I have a 50 ltr elec (with 2200 watt element and 2400 over side element) urn and doing BIAB I thought I could just keep an eye out for some "Cheap" other stuff so over time, if I wanted to, I could move to no BIAB AG. So I thought (been goggling all weekend), I could use my urn as a combined HLT and Boiler and if I came upon a 10 -20 ltr elec urn I could use that (put a copper coil in) as a Heat Exchange, then use a pot or esky as my mush tun.Does this seem right, is there any probs having the HLT and Boiler as the one device ? The reason I don't a separate Boiler and HLT is to do with electricity use. My plan was 2 circuits into the "box" one 15 amp and one 10 amp. the 15 amp circuit will do the 2400 W element and "any" other not heating elec device I have. The 10 Amp circuit shall do the heating of the 2200 Watt element (HLT/Boiler) OR the Heat Exchanger. My belief is the HLT only needs to get to 70 degrees or so (which I can do on the 2400 Watt) and I will not need the Heat Exchange whilst I am boiling (when I will need both elements running in the boiler). I don't mind a another pot to put the wort, before the boil, but I just didn't want to have to heat it. I hope that makes sense otherwise glabb will make some comment that someone "if that is what he meant you should be in the translation business! " :)
+ I need lots of plumbing, motor, etc..

thanks Matt

mxd,

not sure what you need your heat exhanger for??? You could easily do it a 2V system. Esp if you drain your mash tun into a spare fermenter whilst still using the Urn for a HLT during lautering. Then tip the fermenter back into the urn and boil away as normal.

Also you could consider a gas fired kettle if electricity was an issue.

Cheers SJ

I used to do just that. My HLT was a 15 L pot and a 10 L pot (actually I still use them for this) and they were also my boil pots. I racked from the tun into the fermenter then from the fermenter via hose into the kettle(s). I now have a 50 L kettle and a 38 L pot which will one day become an HLT but the 15 and 10 work so well (most strike amounts are around 12- 15L, my mash out is usually 8 L and my sparge is usually 15) and I use the kitchen stove to heat the strike and sparge water.

Anyway if you're not intending on doing gravity feed, you can get away with two vessels. The only thing that comes to mind is how easy the urn element would be to clean after boiling wort for an hour.

Probably quite simple but worth considering.

not too sure what happened with my formatting ? so I fix that.

to answer the Q's

I currently use my urn, with the 2 elements to boil my wort (BIAB) and it's cleans up without any problems.

I want a Heat Exchange for a HERMS system, unless I've lost the plot.

I want to stick with elec as I can then "play" with relays etc..

===========================

Hi Guys,
As I have a 50 ltr elec (with 2200 watt element and 2400 over side element) urn and doing BIAB I thought I could just keep an eye out for some "Cheap" other stuff so over time, if I wanted to, I could move to no BIAB AG.

So I thought (been goggling all weekend), I could use my urn as a combined HLT and Boiler and if I came upon a 10 -20 ltr elec urn I could use that (put a copper coil in) as a Heat Exchange, then use a pot or esky as my mush tun. Does this seem right, is there any probs having the HLT and Boiler as the one device ?

The reason I don't a separate Boiler and HLT is to do with electricity use. My plan was 2 circuits into the "box" one 15 amp and one 10 amp. The 15 amp circuit will do the 2400 W element and "any" other not heating elec device I have. The 10 Amp circuit shall do the heating of the 2200 Watt element (HLT/Boiler) OR the Heat Exchanger.

My belief is the HLT only needs to get to 70 degrees or so (which I can do on the 2400 Watt) and I will not need the Heat Exchange whilst I am boiling (when I will need both elements running in the boiler).

I don't mind a another pot to put the wort, before the boil, but I just didn't want to have to heat it.

I hope that makes sense otherwise glabb will make some comment that someone "if that is what he meant you should be in the translation business! " :)

+ I need lots of plumbing, motor, etc..

==============================

I currently use my urn, with the 2 elements to boil my wort (BIAB) and it's cleans up without any problems.

I want a Heat Exchange for a HERMS system, unless I've lost the plot.

cheers
Matt

OK - you just said 3V at first - now that we know you mean HERMS... then I suggest you start with reading the dedicated HERMS thread. There are a bunch of different options and you really need to spend some time genuinely understanding the way the different variations of HERMS work, what the advantages and disadvantages of each version are, evaluate what you want from your brewing and why and how (and if) that will be addressed by HERMS and the style of HERMS system you decide on.

Its really a case where you pretty much need to be able to answer the questions for yourself before you start building... sure, details might still be up in the air, but the fundamentals need to be reasonably solid in your head before anyone can usefully help you out. HERMS RIMS etc are advanced brewing... the answers are therefore almost always going to be ambiguous.

OK - you just said 3V at first - now that we know you mean HERMS... then I suggest you start with reading the dedicated HERMS thread. There are a bunch of different options and you really need to spend some time genuinely understanding the way the different variations of HERMS work, what the advantages and disadvantages of each version are, evaluate what you want from your brewing and why and how (and if) that will be addressed by HERMS and the style of HERMS system you decide on.

Its really a case where you pretty much need to be able to answer the questions for yourself before you start building... sure, details might still be up in the air, but the fundamentals need to be reasonably solid in your head before anyone can usefully help you out. HERMS RIMS etc are advanced brewing... the answers are therefore almost always going to be ambiguous.

thanks, sorry for my confusion with 3V and HERMS, I have read the the HERMS thread multiple times and plan to multiple more :), and this is a long term plan, this was more a can I use 1 mushtun, 1 heat exchange and a combined Boiler/HLT or does HERMS require a seperate HLT and boiler.

All the discussions etc.. that I have found have had a separate Boiler/HLT.

I will keep reading and looking for stuff to hoad.

thanks again.

Matt

If you're talking HERMS, ignore my answer because I know nothing about automated recirculating type systems.

What benefits are you looking for by moving to a non BIAB system?

not so much of a benefit, it's just where I work we use relay's, valves, tubing, heaters, liquid level sensors etc.. and I think over time, I would get most of the stuff "cheaply" and I like to play :) I've been not completing projects for years :(

thanks, sorry for my confusion with 3V and HERMS, I have read the the HERMS thread multiple times and plan to multiple more :), and this is a long term plan, this was more a can I use 1 mushtun, 1 heat exchange and a combined Boiler/HLT or does HERMS require a seperate HLT and boiler.

All the discussions etc.. that I have found have had a separate Boiler/HLT.

I will keep reading and looking for stuff to hoad.

thanks again.

Matt

The separate boiler/HLT thing is less from necessity than from the fact that the sort of guys who are going herms... have long given up on economizing (rank generalization alert) so you are simply looking at people who are beyond trying to save a vessel by combining HLT and boiler.

You could do it... but by the time you get to the point where you are running a HERMS, I bet you don't want to anymore - OR - on the other hand, take a look at the Beer Belly Brewboy. That's a really quite advanced two vessel recirculating system and i bet it gives you a few ideas. You don't even need a separate heat exchange vessel, so it can be as little as two vessels.. your Urn and an eski. Done.

Lots of cats, lots of options for skin removal.

Have fun

TB

someone please "explain" to me why this guy had to create this thread,

I guess I was asking a question, have I done something wrong ?

Back