Plambic & The Turbid Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it was a success!

Did you use a seperate cooking pot for the mash kettle?

Sounds like it was a success!

Did you use a seperate cooking pot for the mash kettle?
Mash kettle was a ~15lt stock pot on a 3ring burner(Junctyard REV 0 kit). I was responsible for keeping it at 80C...+/- 8C......

just make sure there aint any flies in the vicinity... but are you leaving it out to collect some tasty enteric bacteria first as per liddil's recommendation?

Well we'll know in about a year if the turbid mash was a success. But the mash day went pretty smoothly. Expecting a lower efficiency as described in many articles I worked all volumes on 65%. We ended up with an efficiency of 77%... So some dilution was done prior to pitching the nastiness.

The Juncthouse in Turbid mash mode
Pic_003.jpg

And into the fermenters
Pic_007.jpg

Another happy customer...
Pic_009.jpg

An Authentic Ferment or what!!... My chest freezer is now very infected...but if I shut my eyes when I stick my head in - Its just like I'm back in the Cantillon Cellar :rolleyes:

The second pic is of a barrel I took at Cantillon.

Pic_011.jpg
Cantillon_Barrel.JPG

Mental note - don't let Asher set foot in the Big Dog Brewery without setting up a hazmat shower entry to the back yard.

Ah, I believe that you have missed the point here.

...or are you just having a friendly stir? in which case, I reiterate the above. :lol:

Very inspiring, guys. It's a shame that the flood at my place claimed my lambic (sitting on the floor in my garage.

Two thumbs up! :super:

Seth :p

i hope the waters didnt claim the rauch les?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mmmmmmmm i have to say i admire your want for something different and experimentation.

Great stuff.

But i also have to say.......... yuk... sorry, infected beer doesnt do it for me. I have never tried a true lambic but would like to to see if im wrong :)

An Authentic Ferment or what!!... My chest freezer is now very infected...but if I shut my eyes when I stick my head in - Its just like I'm back in the Cantillon Cellar :rolleyes:

The second pic is of a barrel I took at Cantillon.

View attachment 13389

Mad! I hope the loss of your freezer is worth it! :unsure:

A spectacularly violent fermentation - fantastic stuff. The only bummer about brewing lambics is that you have to wait so loooong to find out how it's turned out! Sounds like a successful day guys, and good luck keeping the rest of your breweries clean!

Not quite as speccy as Ashers pic but my glass carboy bubbling away...photo taken prior to sitting carboy in plastic crate in readiness for violent ferment. My smackpac was dated 07/05! I suspect the yeasties are a little jaded so I'm going to grab a some weeping "ooze" tomorrow for yeast top up.

AHB___2.5_Weeks___27.06__1_.JPG

Crusting up nicely in the spare room after 9 n a bit weeks.....hasn't been tipped out yet by SWMBO...unlike a 2206 yeast cake from the fridge :D

9.5_Weeks___09.08__5_.JPG

9.5_Weeks___09.08__1_.JPG

Cork starting to look nice and festy too :excl: ... mmm... infections...

'Trash Mash Al' rocked up at my place late yesterday arvo with a few bottles of 'research' he picked up in Amsterdam ;)

Started off with a Lindemans Gueuze Cuve Ren - Not expecting much from Lindemans, this beer was surprisingly good. Highly carbonated, orangy colour, sour aroma. Complexity ranging from dusty grapefruit, wood through to your typical earthy barnyard flavours. Refreshingly sour, maybe a little clean... but a complexity that lingers long after swallowed. Allot better than I was expecting from a Lindemans (only ever had their sweetened fruit lambics before this)

IMG_0021.jpg

3 more in the cellar

IMG_0030.jpg

Hanssens Oude Gueuze - Yum
Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - New one for me! - Merlot , cab-franc grapes & two to three years old lambic are soaked in Bordeaux barrels. producing a deep red beer with pink head
3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Yum

You guys have no idea just how jealous I am. I will probably give a plambic a bash come autumn, when it wont be too hot. Stick it under the house and let it go.
Asher, let us know how the 3 fonteinen oude geueze tastes, would love to get me hands on one of them (and if my next overseas trip allows, I will be stopping into Belgium for a few days for that very reason).
Hope the lambics turn out great.
Trent

Mouth watering!!!!
Have you managed to develop a pellicle?
I made a Lambic a few years ago (Roselare Blend) and it did not happen...I figure the main reason being that when most of the fermentation finished I transferred it to a keg and let it sit for 12 months with the occasional venting. Ended up very good....
I made 1 100% Brett Anomolous earlier this year..complete with Turbid Mash..it sat in my back shed sealed in a fermentor with skull and crossbones on it for about two months before kegging..no pellicle..it is...well better than my 80% Malted Wheat multistep burnt mash tun American Wheat...thats not saying much though !!!
Good luck and I hope to try it one day.....

K

I've got a super pellicle on my FRA after pitching Roselare - it took about 10 weeks before it appeared. It seemed to take the weather warming up a bit before it took hold.

I've got a super pellicle on my FRA after pitching Roselare - it took about 10 weeks before it appeared. It seemed to take the weather warming up a bit before it took hold.

Ah, good info, caprine boy. I just pitched the Roselare mixture on the FRA this morning. I'd done a primary with US05 and it was tasting good. I'll try to be patient and wait for a month or two before looking at it.

Anyway, slightly off topic as it's not really going to be a lambic, but lots of bugs in there. :rolleyes: :D

'Trash Mash Al' rocked up at my place late yesterday arvo with a few bottles of 'research' he picked up in Amsterdam ;)

Started off with a Lindemans Gueuze Cuve Ren - Not expecting much from Lindemans, this beer was surprisingly good. Highly carbonated, orangy colour, sour aroma. Complexity ranging from dusty grapefruit, wood through to your typical earthy barnyard flavours. Refreshingly sour, maybe a little clean... but a complexity that lingers long after swallowed. Allot better than I was expecting from a Lindemans (only ever had their sweetened fruit lambics before this)

View attachment 15192

3 more in the cellar

View attachment 15193

Hanssens Oude Gueuze - Yum
Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - New one for me! - Merlot , cab-franc grapes & two to three years old lambic are soaked in Bordeaux barrels. producing a deep red beer with pink head
3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Yum

Dirty, rotten Lucky Bastards!

Back