Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5105/pizza+sauce

I made this on the weekend as I had shedloads of tomatoes that were a bit too soft for salads. Bloody thing even after an hour of simmering was too thin, great for pasta sauce but not thick like a pizza base paste. Or do home made pizza base sauces always err on the thin side as opposed to the el-cheapo tomato paste in a tin?

Pizza sauce will often resemble a pasta sauce, not the thick tomato paste that you can buy.

Have a look at a few pictures and videos, you'll notice that they're a much thinner (and much more delicious) sauce than using tomato paste.

Mine are always thin. Sometimes if I make one and whack it in the slow cooker and go out for the day, I'll chuck in extra water just to thin it out at the end.

Too thick to me ends up making the base feel more stodgy than it should.

For the last 6 months i have been adding berliner weisse to my pizza's instead of water / yeast.
Doesn't rise as much but somehow it provides the base with an amazing amount of stretchiness. Think go go gadget arms stretchy.

Anyway it works great :)

My pizza sauce is always thin not thick. Slightly thicker than passata is ideal for me persinally but passata thickness is also acceptable. I agree that thick sauce makes it feel stodgy. Even with a margareta you you want to taste some fresh tomato not tomato base sauce.

Love this thread !
Was reading it this morning and…….

…..Just had home made pizzas for dinner. haha
Margereta with olives for the little ones ( have a 4 y/o who LOVES olives ! )
The adults had an olive and chilli & garlic octopus on margereta, with basil, thyme and oregano from the garden.YUMMO !
Nice thin bases to let the flavours on top do all the work.
Goes well with the home brewed ales !

Pretty standard dough, store bought sauce.
Have been inspired by you blokes to make my own sauce now !!
Will attempt to get as many veggies in the sauce (for the kids !) and reduce it down, hope pumpkin won't make it too sweet.

Anyways, thanks for the thread !!!

Wheres my beer ???? :chug:
catch.

Making your own sauce is easy. Dice some onion and saute it in some olive oil in a pot, add a couple of tins of tomatoes, simmer,simmer some more, add some salt, simmer till its the consistency you want. Some times I add red wine or herbs. You can cheat a bit and use a stick blender to save time.

unclebarrel said:
Will attempt to get as many veggies in the sauce (for the kids !) and reduce it down, hope pumpkin won't make it too sweet.
Chicken and roast pumpkin with some red onion and soft cheese is yum.

Even just pimping a jar of passata is easy. Throw in fresh herbs garlic etc and ur laughing.
Buy hiding veg in sauce is good. With burtitos etc I cook down blitzed mushrooms and zucchini and the mix into the mince to hid it.

That does sound good stu.

I was actually curios if anybody has tried to pack a lot of veggies in to the sauce, you know, to get your kids to eat more veggies !! But in the form of pizza sauce !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking Cm2. Just hiding good stuff in tasty foods !

We love our mex too, will definitely try hiding good stuff in those
dishes.
Don't get me wrong, our kids do eat well, but it is always good to get more vitamins and minerals in where you can !

Thanks fellas !
Long live tasty home cooked meals !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1386668655.505547.jpg

No tomato sauce. Dough made with atta flour. Generous hit of yeast. Kneaded with hook attachment on handheld. Works the gluten very well. Consistency just softer than roti dough. Spread with a wet hand.

Fresh buffalo mozzarella (or bocconcini) on top. Before I lay the base I spread a little salt, any strong cheese, chilli flakes, any subtle herbs and then top with the toppings and cheese. Keeps the nice flavours from being baked off.

Sounds great PF, but I just cant get my head around rectangular pizzas.

Heh, using all the inches on that baking tray.

I like that guy's technique on that video on the last page. I don't bother with the proofing and rising. Knead and spread right away, top and into the oven. The yeasts get enough time and the rise in temp does the rest before they die. Turns out very bready and soft. I'm a bit pro moisture too. Lets the bread cook for longer without burning all the toppings. Probably required with the coarse grain flour I use. I'd have to try the rise and make soft stuff again. Scope out some good pizza flour first though, don't think that process will work too well with coarse atta flour. This stuff gets very very sticky if you let it rise.

Looks great PF,

Suddenly I am hungry again !
I'll try the atta flour soon too !

My tips:
- decent olive oil in the dough, I use about 4 tablespoons in a batch of dough for 3 thin large pizzas
- decent cheese, splurge on a bucket of real bocconcini occasionally or buy a scoop or two from a decent deli
-- buffalo moz for extra points but the ones I've purchased recently haven't been as good as the stuff I used to use
- fresh basil. one of the easiest things to grow and it is worth the effort
- keep it simple, not too many toppings, if you want more flavours make more pizzas and have a slice of each
- proper pizza flour, I get mine from penisi cuisine in Woolloongabba. (00 flour is more or less the same thing if you can't find something specifically labelled as pizza flour)

I used to know a 'real' recipe for pizza dough that was used to win a few national comps but sadly I've forgotten it. I now generally make it in the bread maker for convenience. Follow the bread maker recipe apart from the oil as per the comment above.

I'd love to have a real pizza oven that gets hot enough to cook them properly.... one day...

edschache said:
- keep it simple, not too many toppings, if you want more flavours make more pizzas and have a slice of each
Thats the go !!

I try only have 3 toppings max. That includes cheese.
Only meat I ever use is good pepperoni, or some seafood. Never together.
Heaps of fresh herbs.

Bocconcini, basil, pepperoni and olives and I'm as happy as a pig in mud.
If I use shredded ham its gotta have a good dose of green capsicum. They pair so well on a pizza.

Back