Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked these up for me and the missus tonight. Base is 50/50 wholemeal/plain. Tomato, chilli, garlic, Spanish onion, persian feta, olives, fresh basil, mushrooms, sopressa, anchovies, mozzarella. Nom. Very happy with my crust.

image.jpg

Nothing beats honemade pizza. Even lebanese bread as base is better than most pizza. A family fav if when I make it. Simple fresh toppings etc. Fan-fkn-tastic. Prime example. Margarita. From a store its pox. Absolute shit. Make it at home with home made passata cheese home grown tomatoes and basil. Magnificent.

Or justbsimple pumpkin cream cheese and fresh basil. All from the garden. Yum
Hmm im hungry.

I think red wine goes best with pizza, a good Aussie shiraz. I make my base in the breadmaker, just bread flour, salt, oil and yeast. Put it on dough setting, come back in an hour and roll it out, very easy. If you love homemade pizza you should always have fresh herbs growing in the garden (or balcony). Sage, oregano, rosemary, thyme, really gives that pizza flavour. In summer some thin sliced homegrown beefsteak tomatoes are sensational for topping.

Mmm, Pizza night tonight.
Sourdough pizza is the go around here. I use a culture that is about 2 years old.
Made the dough at 7am, bulk proof for a few hours, then fridge time.
6 pizzas and a loaf of bread yum!

I've been using ~250g of spent grain in my sourdoughs lately, makes for tasty bread, however the chunks of grain don't lend themselves to making it easy to stretch a nice thin base, ends up tearing where the grain is.

Crust Pizza do a great Pesto Aioli on their pizzas I managed to replicate using a store bought garlic aioli and adding some of the Aldi pesto. Tastes dam good.

Supermarket bought Atta flour does a fine job at adding some nutrients and is very finely milled.

I have been using Manilda Bakers Flour lately, 12.5kg bag was not much more than $10 from memory from Costco, I did see they also had 12.5kg bags of Atta Flour also, might grab some next time if its still there to try.

I've been having really good results with an electric pizza maker - google "just pizza oven"

I used an oven thermometer to test the temperature, and it was over 350C (the max temp that my thermometer goes up to).

It produces nice, crispy pizzas in about 5 minutes, and probably the next best thing to a proper wood fired oven that I've been able to find. I've tried pizza stones in our oven etc. never been able to get as good results. It also takes less time to heat up.

I was sceptical - thinking it would be just another appliance that I wouldn't use. But worth a shot if you like your pizzas, home made bases are a must - my other secret weapon is a stand mixer with a dough hook.

Make sure you get one with a pizza stone in the base - I think I've seen others that don't have the stone, those are the ones to avoid.

Fark me. Son's 13th birthday. He decides to have a bunch of mates over to watch Dr who (yes he is a geek).
Oh and by the way dad you're cooking everyone pizza.

10 thirteen year old boys. I lost count of how many pizzas I just made. My gods they can eat.

I am absolutely stuffed.

We've been making pizzas for years. I always used a bread maker for followed the recipe from it and was pretty happy with the result. In the last 6 months I tried a hand made pizza dough following, it's a simple recipe with no oil etc in the dough. I have not use the bread maker since. He has some other excellent recipes too, like his roasted potato.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ******* love pizza. In fact when I meet someone who doesn't at least like it, straight away I'm suspicious, gotta be a sociopath with a few bodies buried surely.

I love to cook, but I must admit I like Lebanese bread pizzas. Simple is good, but prosciutto and basil is pretty damn nice. For me, pizza is like sex, even a bad one is still pretty good, and it'd have to be astonishingly terrible for me not to eat it.

QldKev said:
We've been making pizzas for years. I always used a bread maker for followed the recipe from it and was pretty happy with the result. In the last 6 months I tried a hand made pizza dough following, it's a simple recipe with no oil etc in the dough. I have not use the bread maker since. He has some other excellent recipes too, like his roasted potato.

I just tested this Gianni's method and I am convinced. Base was soft but firm, smooth, slightly sour. A good rise due to this separate 1/4 of the flour with yeast -method, I usually use 6 1/4 cups flour but today only needed 4 cups for same size and thickness. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Made pizzas last night. Hawian, meatlovers pumpkin tomato spinach, capsicum mushroom tomato zucchini oregano and sea salt. Homemade pasata on the bases.

simple fresh delish.

Its worth playing with your base recipe and method. Last nights 3 cups of flour mix made 4 ultra thin bases. Im talking like pita bread thin. Nice change. Ideally it should have been 3 bases but I stretched it to see how it would go.

Airgead said:
Pineapple on a pizza...Reported.
I like pineapple on my pizza, at times, and with the appropriate accompaniment, usually ham, mushroom and chilli.

The real crime against nature is barbecue sauce on a pizza. That's for snags and burgers, not pizza bases! :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back