Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I hadn't heard of the technique until reading through this thread and read up on the link for it.

Pretty informative read if i do say so myself.

Either way, I'm pretty excited for the old dinner tonight.

Sponge

theBent.JPG

turbooven.JPG

My low cal tortilla pizza done in turbo oven... I run and hide now....

The BENT.... prawn, banana and sweet chilli....

What's your technique for the turbo oven? I tried one in mine once but the base drooped through the grill and didn't cook.

What's your technique for the turbo oven? I tried one in mine once but the base drooped through the grill and didn't cook.

havent used the real deal in the turbo oven we have talked about it.... I was thinking of still putting it on a pizza tray the one with holes...

So, had a pizza night tonight, pizza's turned out really good but its only the second time we used our new pizza stone and opened up the oven to see it cracked in half :(
It's only the 2nd pizza cooked on it, both times it has been brought up to heat from cold so not sure why it happened, may have been the fact that it was only a $10 stone from crazy clarke's but thought it would have lasted a bit longer than that, any ideas why???

I did have the oven on 250C and the pizzas were perfect in about 6 minutes, do you think that was too hot?

So, had a pizza night tonight, pizza's turned out really good but its only the second time we used our new pizza stone and opened up the oven to see it cracked in half :(
It's only the 2nd pizza cooked on it, both times it has been brought up to heat from cold so not sure why it happened, may have been the fact that it was only a $10 stone from crazy clarke's but thought it would have lasted a bit longer than that, any ideas why???

I did have the oven on 250C and the pizzas were perfect in about 6 minutes, do you think that was too hot?

I have 3 very cheap stones, less than $10 each i think. 2 are used exclusively for breadmaking and the other pizza only.

Always do what you do and put them in a cold oven and crank it up to 250C. When baking bread i sometimes have them in there for 3-4 hours. Yet to break one.

If they weren't so cheap I would take them back and ask questions.

First post for me in a while ...

Seeing as I'm doing some pizzas this weekend for a little soiree a mate is having (including some biab!), I thought I'd throw up these pics of one of the pizzas I did last weekend

Homemade pizza base with thyme in it

lBJbs.jpg

Add some tomato paste with thyme and oregano

eqJZK.jpg

Little bit of cheese on the base with some spanish onion

ZKPnI.jpg

Sun-dried tomato

KtbUP.jpg

Sardines and anchovies

83dAF.jpg

Little bit of cheese on the top

WhfUj.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to pre-cook the base once I'd put the tomato paste on, so I decided to cook for 9 minutes @ 250c in my oven instead of the normal 7 minutes I'd do and it did overcook it a little. It still tasted bloody good though.

xgkoE.jpg

For those that may be at the soiree this weekend, I hope you enjoy my creations :)

Made pizzas on Tuesday (usually make them once a month). For the first time I precooked the bases. Not a fan. They went very flat bread like. Made it very easy to prep final product but missus prefers the normal way. Maybe I just precooked them too long. Which is probably the issue. Still as always they Shit on bought pizzas.

I used 50% Spelt flour in my pizza bases recently, turned out wonderfully!

I have been using the Defiance Bakers flour with a hydration of 55 to 60% in a wood fired oven with really good results. I picked up a bag of the Allied Mills Pizza Flour at Gaganis this week and I am going to see if it is better still. Some forums say it needs a higher hydration %. Does anyone use it and can recommend a rate?
Cheers
Peter

I used to work at an Italian restaurant and we let our dough balls rest under a damp tea towel before rolling them out. Once rolled out they were left to rise at room temp, mind you the oven was about 6ft from the closest base rack so probably a little hotter than your kitchen with the oven door shut. Never did we pre cook them though and never had any complaints and I personally loved the bases. Not to say that pre cooking them is wrong just thought I'd offer what we did under instruction of professionals.

Perhaps allow them to rise while the oven is on with them just sitting ontop of the stove so it gets a bit of heat transfer without actually cooking?

Also I haven't read the whole thread but if no-one has mentioned it use some semolina on the bottom of the base to stop it from sticking or burning the bottom of your base before the rest is cooked.

I use bakers flour for my pan pizzas. Super soft base.

Gaganis white flour (10kg bag for $14) is what i use for bread and pizza making. Never noticed the Allied pizza flour Pedro, very keen to hear how it goes.

Ciabatta about to go in the oven then will make a few pizzas, dough is proving. Pizza dough recipe is the one beerbelly gave me years ago which includes semolina in the dough, not just for slipping the pizza off the peel. Rises like a champ. Margeritas tonight with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden and some cooked down passata i preserved last summer (still have >30 fowlers preserving jars of passata). A few pieces of bocconcini as well.

Only ever used the whole meal flour from the supermarket or the normal atta flour from the Indian shop. Have noticed that it comes out crispier and breadier than shop bought pizza (even good gourmet ones).

I don't roll it either. My dough is a bit softer than the average I see on this thread and I simply oil my hands and knead it to spread out on baking paper, which I find works even better than a pizza stone imo. Bn there, done that. Nothing created a better crust than good ole baking paper. I don't leave it to rise in a ball either. Use proven yeast and knead straight into the pizza disc. By the time I'm done topping it its had had a out 15 minutes to rise. Straight into the oven. Rave reviews :) most times I skip the tomato base. Depends.

alawishus said:
I find adding a teaspoon of gluten to the mix helps no end
Not enough gluten in the flour??

I used the Defiance bread flour... it's high protein like the "OO" stuff you get at supermarkets.

My dough is always on the wet side so I get fluffy soft edges. Less water gives a crustier edge.

OK. I made about 12 pizzas for the hordes last night. The dough I made with the Allied Pizza flour was better than what I have made with the Defiance bakers flour. It was more elastic and easily worked.

My recipe was
1kg flour
63% water (65% was too sticky)
1 tbsp olive oil (give or take a bit)
pinch of salt
and yeast.

I use about 170g of dough for a 28 to 30cm pizza

Cheers
Peter

Latest posts

Back