Pitching Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWithers

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a question about pitching yeast. How come most kits just say to pitch dry yeast on top of wort, yet everybody else tells me to rehydrate the yeast?
What benefits does rehydrating the yeast have?
Just about to start my second brew. ESB American Pale Ale, so just wondering what other peoples opinions are on pictching the yeast.
Also if you recommend rehydrating what is the bes method?

Cheers
Rusty

Less shock to the yeast, faster kick off, blah blah blah... If you put the yeast in a little bit of wort it allows you to proof it before pitching but I don't remember many (any?) posts I've read on here about dud yeast.

Plenty of people have tried every which way and now just dry pitch with no ill effects. Sprinkle away!

*flame suit on*

I sprinkle the yeast on top and allow it to hydrate on top of the wort. Then stir..

Never had a dud yet

Use s-23, us-o5, 34\70, kit, and so on sprinkle .... stir.. seal..... :party:

First i wouldnt use kit yeast as most (well coopers anyway) are 7g and recommended pitching rate for 23lts is between 10-12g. not rehydrating the yeast will make the viability of the yeast drop which means you should pitch even more also the date and way its stored effects viability.

Rehydrating the yeast (from what I can gather) gives it more viability as the yeast can begin to wake up in water and at the right temp so they dont get shocked.

My method is to boil some water and pour into a glass measuring jug (also found get a wide jug as bigger surface area seems to be easier as it wont clump.) and swirl it all round and pour some around the top and down the sides to sanitise then pour is 10 times the weight of the yeast so for 11.5g yeast you need 115ml of water, so pour 115ml of boiling water in the jug and cover loosely with gladwrap. wait till it cools to around 23c and then evenly sprinkly the yeast ontop then put new gladwrap back on and wait 15-20 mins till all the yeast dissolves into the water, then stir gently for 15-20mins and then wait for it to cool within 5c of the wort and pitch

No need to stir it in at all, but not really any harm doing so either, so meh, hydrate, sprinkle, stir or pitch to the west. Dry yeasts are pretty much made so you can't stuff it up

ok cheers guys,
Thanks all for being so quick at replying. I think I'll have a go at rehydrating, if for anything just so I can say that I've done it ha.

yeah I done it twice but cant be arsed most of the time. just aerate the wort good and sprinkle on found no probs doing ether and no ill effects lol

Ive only every spinkled on and stirred. Used S04 , US 05 and W-34/70 as well as the kit yeasts. Ive found ive got a nice collection of kit yeasts after using extra yeasts so the next 2 brews are gonna have 2xkit yeasts per brew for a change. So dont throw out your kit yeasts cause they can be used if you save em up. 5-7g isnt alot.

rehydrating = less lag
less lag = better beers

Yep.

Also, if I remember correctly, RWithers, the context in which you were told to rehydrate was that you were wondering if a pitched yeast was a dud? Rehydrating can give you an idea if it is good to go or not. If it doesn't swell up and get kinda sludgy then it probably isn't worth pitching.

Ive only every spinkled on and stirred. Used S04 , US 05 and W-34/70 as well as the kit yeasts. Ive found ive got a nice collection of kit yeasts after using extra yeasts so the next 2 brews are gonna have 2xkit yeasts per brew for a change. So dont throw out your kit yeasts cause they can be used if you save em up. 5-7g isnt alot.

I scribble the date I bought the kit on the yeast packet and throw it in the door of the freezer. Good for emergencies or Yr 8 science lessons.

Latest posts

Back