Pitching Yeast - Temp control - Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad2027

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Fairly new to brewing (3rd batch coming), I have just purchased a fridge and temperature controller for my new brews..
My question is ; If i want to pitch yeast at say 18-20dg and my wart is at 24dg after mixing do i just sit in the fridge (temp controlled) for a day before pitching or is there another / better method?

I have been using just hot/cold tap water when mixing and with the ambient temps around at moment thats about what it comes out at..

Is there a disadvantage on waiting before pitching or is it all ok to wait a day?

Thanks in advance. Brad.

I recommend getting the wort down to ferment temp first. I pitched at around 25deg on my first AG brew and although it was OK, it was far from my best beer.

I find my fridge drops the wort temp about 1.5deg per hour for 40 litres in the fermenter. So, if your starting at 24deg C, it will only take a few hours to get down to 18-20 deg C.

I also regularly leave the wort overnight to cool when I no-chill and cube.

Sounds like your a kit brewer.
I'm in Newcastle and here the average tap water temperature is 19.6oC in summer and about 16.9oC in winter (just one of those things that stuck in the memory), plus the extra heat you get from soaking the tin in hot water.
I found putting 5L of water in the fridge overnight and using that as part of the makeup water (well that was years ago) worked well enough to get down close to the target temperature.
Mark

Back