Pitch Yeast Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did write one shorter post a while ago Ducati. BigD was so amazed he ofered to buy me a beer!

Chicken, the fresh wort kits are the perfect step up from the kits. This is advice I recieved early on but unfortunately ignored as I too hadn't heard of them.

These kits are basically a 15 litre container of fresh wort. In other words, the manufacturer has mashed the grain, added hops and then boiled it all for you. All you do is throw this into your fermenter, add 8 litres of water to top it up and then pitch your yeast and ferment as usual at the appropriate temperature.

There's bound to be a supplier in Melbourne somewhere. There are several beer styles to choose from and if you like, you can add extra hops, try different yeasts etc. In other words, you can do all the stuff you can do with all-grain except alter the grain bill. In all cases, you are going to get a lovely beer so I can't really see any downside to this method.

Go to the Search page of the forum (just to the left of the help button at top right) and search for fresh wort kits but ask the engine to search thread titles only. Hopefully there'll be some intereesting info there. Otherwise Google it.

Spot ya,
Pat

braufrau - Will have to look into some better equipment and ingredients like the ones you mentioned once I have the funds. The Mrs recently informed me we are expecting our first baby, so I don't know when that'll be! haha.

I totally understand about the funds! I started brewing to save money. Wheeled the baby up to
the supermarket and told her to pick a kit for daddy! Since then, things have got a bit out of hand.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the kegging since I only bottle. I'm afraid if I did keg my husband might
go from one bottle / night to one keg / night. :)

The grain and grape sell fresh wort kits but they are a bit far from packenham!
grain and grape

IMO, Coopers yeast cultured from a bottle is better than anything stuck to the top of a kit can.
That's cheap way to improve beer. Just costs you a long neck and some dried malt extract.

Good luck! Take it a step at a time.

-braufrau

These kits are basically a 15 litre container of fresh wort. In other words, the manufacturer has mashed the grain, added hops and then boiled it all for you. All you do is throw this into your fermenter, add 8 litres of water to top it up and then pitch your yeast and ferment as usual at the appropriate temperature.

That sounds VERY interesting. I do less work and get better beer! The big question is cost. What would I be looking at for a fresh wort kit and some decent yeast to throw in? $50? More? I am searching around and finding information, but not really much on prices (or local sellers as yet).

I am intrigued by this new development tho. Thanks pat! Any Victorians who might be able to help on sellers?

Latest posts

Back