Pirate Life sells to AB InBev

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they make the changes slowly who is going to notice.

It's pretty naive to think they won't try to drive production costs down. There really aren't any breweries that have been taken over without some impact on the quality of the product they deliver. Big breweries are trying to buy back market share they are losing to craft beer.

Oh they will get production costs down, I never said otherwise. Its a volume game, if they triple the output costs will come down. The international bulk buying power of AB will also bring ingredient costs down. They are up scaling which produces efficiencies.
If they do **** with the recipes/ingredients too much, their customers will revert back to other smaller breweries and I'm pretty sure they know that.

They want to buy into the market but they wont want to splash money around only to see their market share revert back to other craft beers because they turned a good product to shit.

I wonder how many will stop purchasing them because they don't want to support AB InBev though? Probably more than a few but less than a lot I suppose.

Oh they will get production costs down, I never said otherwise. Its a volume game, if they triple the output costs will come down. The international bulk buying power of AB will also bring ingredient costs down. They are up scaling which produces efficiencies.
If they do **** with the recipes/ingredients too much, their customers will revert back to other smaller breweries and I'm pretty sure they know that.

They want to buy into the market but they wont want to splash money around only to see their market share revert back to other craft beers because they turned a good product to shit.

There's no doubt that there's efficiency in scale but to assume that recipe integrity will be maintained doesn't seem to fit what has happened to other beers that have gone down the same road.

I seriously don’t know why everyone gets so worked up about this kind of thing. Good on PL for cashing in, may they enjoy the rest of their days on their yacht or mansion or whatever. If you are not down with their new corporate overlords then stop buying their beer. If you are fine then carry on, the beer won’t change one bit and anyone who says otherwise is indulging in some serious confirmation bias.

I wonder how many will stop purchasing them because they don't want to support AB InBev though? Probably more than a few but less than a lot I suppose.

No more than I'd stop buying Leffe, Hoegaarden or negra modelo

I don’t think anyone has anything against brewers cashing in on the successful business they have built. I’ve told my local brewer that if he gets a big money offer he would be off his head not to take it! From a business perspective it is a smart decision and the right fit decision.

The other side of it that a lot of home brewers like to support breweries that are small and independent and have complete control of their creative process. They also tend to be educated about affiliations.

To the average consumer they wouldn’t notice a difference but they also wouldn’t have any idea about how many brands that market themselves as craft beer are owned by the same 2 companies!

I don’t buy a lot of beer but when I do I like to support local independent breweries over the mega breweries and their subsidiaries.

well to PL credit they have kicked arse on the craft beer scene in Australia and have a business that shows solid value in being purchased.

I really liked there beers too, emphasis on the liked.

well to PL credit they have kicked arse on the craft beer scene in Australia and have a business that shows solid value in being purchased.

I really liked there beers too, emphasis on the liked.
yeah, agree that their beer kicked arse and it was my favourite beer, the double ipa that is. But alas, I do like to support independent brewers so no more PL for me unfortunately. Good on them, but I’ll have to find a new favourite. Anyone know where they sell slabs of Bridge Road Bling Bling in the north Melbourne area by chance?
Cheers, Elz

yeah, agree that their beer kicked arse and it was my favourite beer, the double ipa that is. But alas, I do like to support independent brewers so no more PL for me unfortunately. Good on them, but I’ll have to find a new favourite. Anyone know where they sell slabs of Bridge Road Bling Bling in the north Melbourne area by chance?
Cheers, Elz

I just ordered some direct from the brewery $110/slab + $10 shipping. Site says out of stock but if you're a member email them and they send you one, was my old fav then swung to PL IIPA but now back to Bling Bling!
I don't think anyone is getting worked up @GalBrew . It's more disappointment I can't buy them anymore because call me stupid but my idea of craft beer is supporting a small independent operation where my cash goes into the pockets of someone who is in the business because of a passion and not the pockets of some OS shareholder who is in the game purely to make money. Craft breweries don't pop up out of a desire to make boat loads of cash(mostly) but rather to pursue a passion knowing there aren't big $$ in it. I respect and want to support that as do many others.
Credit to them, great beer. If it was shit beer no one would care.

Last edited:
I just ordered some direct from the brewery $110/slab + $10 shipping. Site says out of stock but if you're a member email them and they send you one, was my old fav then swung to PL IIPA but now back to Bling Bling!
I don't think anyone is getting worked up @GalBrew . It's more disappointment I can't buy them anymore because call me stupid but my idea of craft beer is supporting a small independent operation where my cash goes into the pockets of someone who is in the business because of a passion and not the pockets of some OS shareholder who is in the game purely to make money. Craft breweries don't pup up out of a desire to make boat loads of cash(mostly) but rather to pursue a passion knowing there aren't big $$ in it. I respect and want to support that as do many others.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll now have to become a member. Not a bad price either.
Cheers
Elz

I don't think anyone is getting worked up @GalBrew . It's more disappointment I can't buy them anymore because call me stupid but my idea of craft beer is supporting a small independent operation where my cash goes into the pockets of someone who is in the business because of a passion and not the pockets of some OS shareholder who is in the game purely to make money. Craft breweries don't pop up out of a desire to make boat loads of cash(mostly) but rather to pursue a passion knowing there aren't big $$ in it. I respect and want to support that as do many others.

People are getting a tad worked up on the old Facebook I can tell you that! Not quite as much as they were over the Feral sale (I guess we are getting used to it) but a tad excited none the less.

I’ll also add (not directed at anyone here in particular) that these breweries that get bought out owe their customers/fan base/obsessives absolutely nothing. The transaction here is cash for beer. Just because you have bought beer from a particular brewery does not mean you have also bought a fraction of the company and therefore have the right to whinge about the direction said company goes in. Honestly you see some of the stuff out there and you would think that because you have bought a can of IIPA that the brewery owners owe you their first born!

People are getting a tad worked up on the old Facebook I can tell you that! Not quite as much as they were over the Feral sale (I guess we are getting used to it) but a tad excited none the less.

Ah, I don't do facebook so not up to speed with all that. Just went over for a look and can't say I disagree with most of the comments. Craft drinkers are a passionate bunch, we pay a premium for our beers and obviously get a bit pissed when this sort of thing happens but we are a massive minority so doubt PL will notice the few who vote with their $$.

I seriously don’t know why everyone gets so worked up about this kind of thing. Good on PL for cashing in, may they enjoy the rest of their days on their yacht or mansion or whatever. If you are not down with their new corporate overlords then stop buying their beer. If you are fine then carry on, the beer won’t change one bit and anyone who says otherwise is indulging in some serious confirmation bias.
Yep. It was good while it lasted, PL made their money, and for the rest of us we stop buying when they change the recipes, and then find the next good thing.

They will absolutely use cheaper ingredients and cut costs on that side, as well as the efficiency of scale they can now achieve.

I think you're mistakenly assuming that we are still the target market. With the full power of Ab InBev's marketing department behind them, they can water it all down and, with a slick marketing campaign, create a larger and more lucrative market of new-to-craft-beer-types-who-don't-know-any-better than they ever had previously as Pirate Life.

Totally good on them though, I hope they're sipping booze in a yacht as we speak.

I'm interested in good beer. I'll vote with my feet/wallet based on that rather than pure independence/micro. In my experience, the bigger something gets, the more dilute it (often, not always) becomes but if the beer is good and I want it, I'll buy it. I like and respect DIY but the main reason for my disdain for 'mega' is the tendency to **** things up. If they don't **** it up, I'm happy to buy that and any other good product from both little and big guys. Lots of shit beer out there brewed by mega and independents. I don't want it. Lots of good beer too - I want it.

At first i was mortified but good on them everyone needs a pay day. I bet it was part of a well played out strategy from the start.
Living in part of the country where we don't get the huge selection of cracking beers im somewhat pleased we may be able to at least some of their 1 off beers or seasonal releases easer. I will how ever reduce my purchasing to these one off beers in the same way I have done with 4 pines, little creatures, mt goat, feral and every other brewery bought up by the big guys.
Independent brewers get shafted enough with laws around excise and now packaging that their the ones who need our support.

Back