Pirate Life sells to AB InBev

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big guys just want to protect profits in what is a dwindling market (people are drinking less beer due to nanny state restrictions). Turdwaffle is about to find out what happens when you try and fudge the system to benefit the big players (unless he stacks the royal commission - which is exactly what he's trying to do).

I thought people were drinking less but actually spending more specifically because of the increase of craft beers in the market. Is that not correct?

I stand corrected, with the current state of affairs - looks like people are turning to the grog.

Oh dear...
I meant that last post as a joke.
Sadly it seems to be true.

I was talking to a mate on the phone about it today and he made a solid point, the big guys see their " craft" products like little creatures, yenda and yac selling for $60ish a slab in dans and proper craft fetching $80+. Buy one or 2 then knock their packaging costs by half and shave a shit ton off their ingredients per litre due to global contracts and still charge $80+ a slab. On a win as far as I can tell.

I think there is only 1% of the craft drinking population that really knows who they are suporting when they hand over their hard eaned cash. I may be wrong but we will see on the 27th of January if people understand independent or not. Dont start on the date changing thing.

Anyone remember blue tongue? Got bought out and then discontinued. Not saying this will happen with pirate life but to think the megas are buying successful brands with the intention of broadening their range isn’t always right. Sometimes it’s just to obliterate the competition.

Blue Tungue was a marketing thing backed by John Singleton.

Was then sold to CCA ( Coke ) as they wanted in on the growing beer market.

CCA went on to work with Casella wines ( Yellow Tail wine...which is crap at best ) at Yenda

Was then sold to Lion and dismantled and moved to Yatala because it was cheaper to buy it and relocate the equipment than to build new equipment at Yatala.

Lion didnt give a **** about Blue Tungue, they just wanted cheap equipment.

Blue Tungue beer was pretty shit ( the Pilsner was ok ) and even their head brewer admitted it.

Singo made a tidy profit of course.......just like Pirate

They are dead to me.
Mother fuc#ers

Oh.... please...

Micros are like ******* shark teeth. Soon enough there'll be another spring up that makes Pirate Life taste like junkies piss.
So lets not get all moist eyed over business people doing what comes naturally.
Personally I support Jack Camerons capitalist spirit an will continue to support the product at every opportunity.
More so if he reads this and forwards me a slab of throwback.

Was bluetongue successful?

Heres a helpful metaphor.

5624218279_cf4c34924a_b.jpg

lets not get all moist eyed over business people doing what comes naturally
Far from 'moist eyed' old mate. Good luck to them but I choose to spend my dollars with the smaller guys, like that Kick Snare Brewing beer I'm drinking in my pic..

Far from 'moist eyed' old mate. Good luck to them but I choose to spend my dollars with the smaller guys, like that Kick Snare Brewing beer I'm drinking in my pic..

And small guys appreciate your support, I know, I'm small guys - albeit in a far less interesting and creative business.

I hope the purchasing of brewers like Feral and PL will allow me to get access to their beer where I am. To give you a run down I can only access Creatures and S&W where I am and they are $70 to $80 a case. Freight is huge to get something nice where I am and I prefer to save the coin to get grain. If this means that there is even a slim chance of seeing these beers at the big bottleo (that is 100k from my town) then there is a silver lining for me. Further my mates in Townsville do not even get access to Feral's Boris at Murphy's online. They do not ship it there. To one of their shops.

This is not a whinge about where I live but a hope that I can get access to some other beer sometimes.

Blue Tungue was a marketing thing backed by John Singleton.

Was then sold to CCA ( Coke ) as they wanted in on the growing beer market.

CCA went on to work with Casella wines ( Yellow Tail wine...which is crap at best ) at Yenda

Was then sold to Lion and dismantled and moved to Yatala because it was cheaper to buy it and relocate the equipment than to build new equipment at Yatala.

Lion didnt give a **** about Blue Tungue, they just wanted cheap equipment.

Blue Tungue beer was pretty shit ( the Pilsner was ok ) and even their head brewer admitted it.

Singo made a tidy profit of course.......just like Pirate

CUB owns Yatala.

It is quite possible that much of this equipment was auctioned off recently https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/ex-cub-equipment-auction.97065

The success or quality of Blue Tongue is actually irrelevant. The point was more that CUB et al buy other companies for a variety of reasons and they aren't always about maintaining the integrity or survival of the product.

Oh.... please...

Micros are like ******* shark teeth. Soon enough there'll be another spring up that makes Pirate Life taste like junkies piss.
So lets not get all moist eyed over business people doing what comes naturally.
Personally I support Jack Camerons capitalist spirit an will continue to support the product at every opportunity.
More so if he reads this and forwards me a slab of throwback.

No moist eyes here, when I do buy beer again it just wont be PL which is annoying as I do like their beer. The impending drop in quality won't be an issue as it's no longer on the menu, but there will be a drop.

They haven't been brought to make the product better they have been brought to expand market share and only time will tell what that does to the quality.
If only some of the shit micros(of which there are plenty) would get brought out so they could be done better. It wont happen because as you say capitalist mentality.

I would argue that what comes naturally is a slow organic growth not oh here's $10M to go build a new facility but that's just me, obviously a non subscriber to the whole capitalist, take over the world thing.

As a New South Welshman my recent visit to SA meant that after drinking copious amounts of wine I was given my leave pass to sample the range of delicious brews that PL offered. After leaving I was inspired to show more support for the amazing craft beew industry this country has to offer. Unfortunately, i would like to throw my support behind Australian business. What is also disappointing is how positive the staff were on PL's expansion to a larger brewing premises but with no mention of the aquisition by a foreign body. For shame....

Latest posts

Back