Pirate Life sells to AB InBev

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Wow, really? Well slap this baby’s ass and set me loose in the woods. Having seen them speak a few times, I’d say this was part of their business plan from the start. They made all the right moves, very efficiently and quickly. That, and their prior experience.

such a gold rush at the moment isn't it. I can understand why people want to get into pro brewing. Seems like the most important thing is a really colourful can.

NSW's controversial "cash-for-cans" is going to cut into profits of small operators administration costs.

NSW's controversial "cash-for-cans" is going to cut into profits of small operators administration costs.
Controversial? What a similar little recycling scheme to what we have had in SA for the last 40 odd years.
We don't do much right in SA but we got this one right.

How will it affect administration costs of small operators?

Controversial? What a similar little recycling scheme to what we have had in SA for the last 40 odd years.

Run by those who did not want Coca-Cola Amatil and Woolworth going to cost small operators a fortune Woolworth get 3 cents a container to collect.

Run by those who did not want Coca-Cola Amatil and Woolworth going to cost small operators a fortune Woolworth get 3 cents a container to collect.
Sorry, I assumed it would be the same as ours.

We just take all our cans and bottles back to depots by the bag fulls and get 10c each. No cans on the streets here.

such a gold rush at the moment isn't it. I can understand why people want to get into pro brewing. Seems like the most important thing is a really colourful can.

Yep, it's why I've gotten into home brewing myself. I have a plan to become a commercial craft brewer and sell to a big company one day.

It's a pretty straight forward plan: start off making extract brews until I can do it pretty well, move to full mash and practice practice practice. Then sit back and watch the business cycle that will see the big companies buy up the good craft brewers and put the majority of the smaller independent guys out of business. That's when the cycle will flip and only big commercial brews will be around and the market will then open up to the small guy again, which should be around the same time that I've been brewing long enough that I die of old age, regret and a shot liver. I have it all written out in a proper business plan but that's the gist of it.

Sorry, I assumed it would be the same as ours.

We just take all our cans and bottles back to depots by the bag fulls and get 10c each. No cans on the streets here.
Reverse vending machines pay pal deposit and Woolworth vouchers or give money to charity and all is carted to Sydney by Cleanaway waste. What is the extra cost per container in SA

I’ve been informed by CUB sales reps they won’t be playing with recipes*. They are keen to expand naturally but will work with other breweries to assist with capacity issues in current format. Cascade is one brewery they’ve already earmarked for this.

*No, I don't believe this for a second.

I’ve been informed by CUB sales reps they won’t be playing with recipes*. They are keen to expand naturally but will work with other breweries to assist with capacity issues in current format. Cascade is one brewery they’ve already earmarked for this.

*No, I don't believe this for a second.

citra, mosaic... it's all just as good as galaxy right?

actually I just had a look on their website and they don't seem to currently use any galaxy at all. Interesting decision seeing how cheap it is in oz.

The scheme has a disproportional impact on small operators who have multiple limited release beers across a year as each label has to be registered at a cost to the brewery. They also need to pay upfront for their anticipated sales and I believe this is at a rate of 15c per bottle/can. This will be passed on to consumers but the nature of the payment in advance will impact cash flow.

As usual the wine industry is exempt from all of this. Most of the consultation was with big players, small business wasn't even at the table.

What it will mean is more of this good gear on tap. Pretty clear strategy from the big boys:
1- pick out some of the best craft breweries in Australia with a good brand, let them continue to do what makes them popular (ie. brew good beer)
2- use their massive marketing reach to push these already well loved beers into as many pubs and taps as they can
3- make it very difficult for the smaller breweries to get tap space.

They would be mad to try and change the product they have bought . If they do that they devalue the very thing they paid oodles of $s for as the clientele for these beers are more educated than your average Great Northern drinker. They drink this beer, and pay the higher price tag because they like it- not because of some bullshit marketing ploy that drinking it will make you a true North QLDer or some such shit. If they try to change the product to make bigger margins, their main clientele will pick up on the change and move onto something else.

It's pretty naive to think they won't try to drive production costs down. There really aren't any breweries that have been taken over without some impact on the quality of the product they deliver. Big breweries are trying to buy back market share they are losing to craft beer.

Back