Pirate Life sells to AB InBev

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The success or quality of Blue Tongue is actually irrelevant. The point was more that CUB et al buy other companies for a variety of reasons and they aren't always about maintaining the integrity or survival of the product.

Correct

They've had a pilsner and something else (sorry those brain cells cannot be found) to be canned for a while now, stock in BWS, music festival and hop distributor collabs, thouhmght it was going this way for a long time. Let's hope it doesn't go to complete shit shtaight away. I'll take off the tinfoil hat now and go back to my garage_life.

Controversial? What a similar little recycling scheme to what we have had in SA for the last 40 odd years.
We don't do much right in SA but we got this one right.

How will it affect administration costs of small operators?
I was very dirty as a young fell when I moved from SA to QLD, strange football, no cash for cans and missed out on Pirate Life...

Controversial? What a similar little recycling scheme to what we have had in SA for the last 40 odd years.
We don't do much right in SA but we got this one right.

How will it affect administration costs of small operators?
I don't know... here in Canberra we have been putting our empties in the recycling bin no problems. Now they're going to bring in 10c deposit and we'd have to scrounge around in the bin like squirrels to get our money back. How is that progress?

So true mondenstrunkenm
The last thing i want on bin night is to be chasing the rats from my recycling bin. NSW govt u have obviously not put much thought in this. Crucifying small business by putting unnecessary "10cent" refund on products which will now go up more than 10%. This is not Australia

So true mondenstrunkenm
The last thing i want on bin night is to be chasing the rats from my recycling bin. NSW govt u have obviously not put much thought in this. Crucifying small business by putting unnecessary "10cent" refund on products which will now go up more than 10%. This is not Australia

Yeah I don’t get it either. Is kerbside recycling not working?

+100
Why tax people when they're already complying?

Because they're not.

Recycling rates in Australia are quite low, generally 40 - 50% and that figure is biased upwards by paper which is around 80% ( most likely because most paper use is not in the domestic sphere).

Container recycling rates in SA are around 80%, about double the average in the other states.

Take home message: We are basically a bunch of ignorant slobs who have to be forced or bribed to "do the right thing".

Last edited:
NSW put in a scheme the government didnt really want to...but saw a few votes in it

We all now that it will end up as just a complete fuckup, as per usual

Dead to me.
I hear on the abc that small brewery four pines was complaining about $20k in administration fees to comply with the nsw bottle buy back. In nearly pissed myself laughing.

Because they're not.

Recycling rates in Australia are quite low, generally 40 - 50% and that figure is biased upwards by paper which is around 80% ( most likely because most paper use is not in the domestic sphere).

Container recycling rates in SA are around 80%, about double the average in the other states.

Take home message: We are basically a bunch of ignorant slobs who have to be forced or bribed to "do the right thing".

I'm confused as to what they are trying to achieve with the scheme as they don't know what to do with all the glass as it is. It's cheaper to import new glass then it is to recycle glass in australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ed-to-stockpile-glass-industry-crisis/8778088

I'm confused as to what they are trying to achieve with the scheme as they don't know what to do with all the glass as it is. It's cheaper to import new glass then it is to recycle glass in australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ed-to-stockpile-glass-industry-crisis/8778088

Unfortunately when raw materials are so damn cheap its pointless to recycle....

Cars and most consumer goods are the same...why spend $2k fixing a Commodore/Falcon when you can get a complete one running for the same amount

Unfortunately when raw materials are so damn cheap its pointless to recycle....

Cars and most consumer goods are the same...why spend $2k fixing a Commodore/Falcon when you can get a complete one running for the same amount
Yes it's one of life's tragedies when you realise that your beloved shit-box of a car would cost more to repair than to crush it and buy something else.

I have to add my 2 cents worth . I saw PL was saying " Nothing will change." I haven't worked
for a giant public company in the liquor industry but to think a company who has thousands of
shareholders won't change the operations and ingredients over time is just ludicrous.
The very sneaky people of the marketing team will have it all planned.
In the honeymoon period it will seem everything is good and a win - win for everyone.
But eventually the beer recipes will be changed and cheaper ingredients used. To think
otherwise is to say ; an executive given the chance to make more money for themselves
and for the company , won't for the sake of some beer drinkers.

I would rather spend 2k fixing a car I know than spend 2k for a running one I dont know.

Knowing one of the guys from PL, I wouldn't be surprised that if AB-Inbev start getting involved with the brewhouse, that another brewery springs up pretty soon afterwards.

Last edited:
I would rather spend 2k fixing a car I know than spend 2k for a running one I dont know.

Yes. You do have a point. And I do agree. I should know, after still owning the first car I bought at the ripe old age of 17 ( a 1961 Morris Minor Ute...still has original engine and matching numbers )

That Ute has pretty much cost me only an engine rebuild kit, rego, oil, oil, oil, more oil, oil & oil...and rego...and more oil

I now have a Landrover...and yes...it is still worth spending the money on to keep it going

Latest posts

Back