Pipsqueak Cider Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcarty

Reaction score
hey went to the wheatty for a few brews yesty, mmmmm wheatty goodness.

the other half was thrilled to see the Pipsqueak cider on tap so in a bid to win points i thought i might give it a go, anyone got a recipe to a cider similar to this?

cheers
carty

No recipe, but listen to the Jamil cider revisited show for some tips.

Seems to be, pick a blend of apples, some tart some sweet, crush them and get the juice, add some yeast nutrient, add yeast, ferment and bottle.

not really, I think its all golden delicious

I got this tip from a friend recently which I'm hoping to try soon.

1 kilo of brown sugar into a fermenter, pour in about eight litres of berri preservative free apple juice then swish it with a mash paddle to dissolve the sugar into the juice. Then I top it up with more juice to 20 litres, and get a SG of 1040 or so. Then I load it up with champagne or wine yeast and brew it right down to 1005 or less. Takes 14 days at least, kept at temperature of about 20c.

Not sure how it measures up to the pipsqueak though?

I'm considering something similar to what devo posted. A few threads here also suggest using some pear or apple/pear juice. If using champagne yeast, you'll end up with a pretty dry cider, won't you?. Has anyone used/considered using lactose in their ciders to add a bit of residual sweetness?

sap.

have no idea what pipsqueak tastes like, not really a cider fan, but i have a few mates that love cider but dont drink beer (yeah i know its embarrasing why would i associate with these people?) so thought a good cider would keep them happy

any idea on priming? as per usual (i used to go the coopers carb drops when i was bottling) or would i need different sugar was thinking bottles cause i only have two taps and cant bring myself to losing one of them to cider.

cheers
carty

Carb drops will be fine for the cider. Just a note i have always found my ciders needed around 4-6 weeks to carb up naturally.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Might be worth adding some yeast nutrient as well to get a healthy fermentation

have no idea what pipsqueak tastes like, not really a cider fan, but i have a few mates that love cider but dont drink beer (yeah i know its embarrasing why would i associate with these people?) so thought a good cider would keep them happy

any idea on priming? as per usual (i used to go the coopers carb drops when i was bottling) or would i need different sugar was thinking bottles cause i only have two taps and cant bring myself to losing one of them to cider.

cheers
carty

Could you ask your other half who was thrilled to see the pipsqueak taps (presumably because she likes and subsequently drank some cider and doesnt get excited by the sight of taps???).

If its a dry cider then it an easy task.

20L of preservative free apple juice
Wyeast 4766 cider yeast.

Franko makes a cider that has gotten good reviews -

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. when bottling i prime with dex at 8g/L

EDIT - yes, if using straight yeast then some nutrient is a good idea

Have just put down a cider brew
8 x 2.4L Berri Apple Concentrate
0.2kg LDME (for some body)
2 teaspoons of the yeast nutrient
Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast

OG was 1.050, 2 days later it's at 1.025 although looking at it you wouldn't know anything was happening.

This is more for a Bulmers/Magners cider which is meant to be all apple. Other people have swapped out a few bottles and used the Berri Apple/Pear concentrate.

Hi,

My new 'standard' cider is pretty close to Pipsqueak IMO.

Berri Pres-free apple juice + Wyeast 4766

One of the best cider's I've tasted. It also doesn't need maturing like ciders made with champagne yeast.

This yeast is pretty lively. I was after some bottled cider in a hurry last week and it ended up carbing in 2 days. It did help with 40deg heat here in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Tim

Matt

I would not be embaresed at all about a cider thread, afterall it is still brewing, and just another challenge. I plan to make some soon, and am keeping a close eye on the cider threads

what sort of FG does that 4766 cider yeast get to....every cider i've made has finishe <1.010 and i find it to dry.

anyone tried a cider using 1056 or US05?

No help on the Recipe. But pipsqueak recipe was based on Aspall Cyder (spelt with a y in the UK, in cases you do a search) from the UK. Aspall is a great cyder and readily available in Australia. Distributed by Little World Beverages.

what sort of FG does that 4766 cider yeast get to....every cider i've made has finishe <1.010 and i find it to dry.

anyone tried a cider using 1056 or US05?

4766 stops around 1.000 altho i did once get it to stop at 1.010, presumably as that was the first batch, no nutrient and pitched the smackpack. Subsequent batches used the yeast cake with some DAP.

Not sure that a beer yeast will make any difference as its all simple sugars so any yeast will just chomp thru it all.

Hi,

My new 'standard' cider is pretty close to Pipsqueak IMO.

One of the best cider's I've tasted. It also doesn't need maturing like ciders made with champagne yeast.

This yeast is pretty lively. I was after some bottled cider in a hurry last week and it ended up carbing in 2 days. It did help with 40deg heat here in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Tim

sounds good, so you dont need to add any 'kilo' to the brew, the yeast just feed off whatever sugars are in the juice i assume?

cheers
carty

sounds good, so you dont need to add any 'kilo' to the brew, the yeast just feed off whatever sugars are in the juice i assume?

cheers
carty

The juice should give you an OG of 1.046-8. Take a reading to check.

So no need for extra sugar.

Wyeast 4766 is a great yeast so if you can get that, do so.

i got my yeast today WOOO!

going to put this bad boy on in the next couple of days after i go to the store and buy about 23 litres of apple juice cant wait for that conversation at the check out :D

will let you guys know how it turns out, after the GF gives me the review

cheers
carty

ok so FINALLY got around to getting this cider on

wyeast and 21 ltrs of berri preservative free apple juice as suggested, pitched at 22 degrees (gotta love the weather in adelaide at the moment) so far beenbrewing around about 20-22

so the fermenter is a coopers kit therefore airlock = useless, there are some bubbles forming on top of the wort but no overly obvious signs of brewing taking place after 4 days

havent done a cider before so was wondering if the krausen would be as obvious as beer, should there be more sign that brewing is taking place or is it just a matter of letting it go and monitoring the gravity.

oh also starting grav was 1044 from memory.

any tips?

Cheers
Carty

Latest posts

Back