Pipsqueak Cider Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I am up to the fermentation part....

I have some wine yeast and nutrient.

Problem is I have no where to ferment the cider that is cool enough, especially with these 30+ days (Also need to take into consideration the higher temperatures inside the fermenter).
No fridge space and no wine fridge!
No Basement etc

Would bags of ice and water in a tub be sufficient or will that be too cold for the yeast!?

Also how much yeast nutrient should I use for 10L Batch?

P.S.

I am using Lalvin Ec-1118 Yeast:

"This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10 to 30C"

Despite this wide fermentation range I am sure it is best if I ferment at the lower end to middle of the scale, ideally 15 degrees!

also...

Can I add the lactose after fermentation to the desirable amount, or Should I add the lactose before fermentation process?

And Are the bottle priming rates the same for cider as beer?

Water in a tub, wrap the fermenter in towels so that the towels can absorb the water. The water in the towels will evaporate and cool the fermenter.

Ferment at 20C - middle of the range seems to be a good spot for yeast.

I wouldn't recommend adding lactose after. Put everything in before the yeast.

To bulk prime my cider with dextrose, should I follow the same standard rate for beer?

I.e. 4-6g / Litre

Thanks.

Hi Just sharing the results of my Cider Brewing.

I bought one box of each of the following apples:

Granny Smith, Pink Lady & Fuji.

Use a bit less then the whole box and made it up to 10L using Juicer. Roughly equal amounts of each apples.

Put juice in fermenter and left in fridge for few days and then syphoned / tapped juice, excluding sediment and crust on top of juice.

Added Lactose Sugar.

Fermented for a week using Lalvin Wine Yeast and yeast nutrient.

Tastes great - infact I think it is much better than the pipsqueak which I was originally aiming for. A nice light cloudy apple colour which I prefer over the crystal clear. Can really pick up the apple aroma and taste and seems to be decent alcohol content. A bit more body / mouth feel then the pipsqueak which is a plus!

I had my doubt about this brew, but am pleasantly surprised. I normally drink / brew beer, and juicing the apples was a hell of a job.... but was luckily worthwhile.

Cheers!

Sounds exactly like the way I make my cider. I think fermenting low is key to a clean tasting cider in a reasonable time frame.

I find pipsqueak a bit bland so I'm not surprised you got more flavour out of yours. A bit late but you can add lactose either after or during - I always add mine during.

And again too late but the beauty of bulk priming is the ability to alter your carbonation rate depending on what you're brewing. Find a beer style that's roughly at a similar level of fizz to where you want your cider. Whatever co2 volume that is, put it through a carbonation calculator and that will give you the amount to use.

Sounds exactly like the way I make my cider. I think fermenting low is key to a clean tasting cider in a reasonable time frame.

I find pipsqueak a bit bland so I'm not surprised you got more flavour out of yours. A bit late but you can add lactose either after or during - I always add mine during.

woops... i forgot to mention that I added some lactose! I added some but I forget how much... will look up my notes later!

Oh and yes... I fermenter using a cold water bath under the house... to keep temps low!

It's ok. Sometimes my keyboard malfunctions too.

Keen to make a cider for summer but my temp control is water, ice bottles and towels. I can keep ales down to 18 on a very hot day but I like to ferment my ciders at 12. I might crack one out regardless as I have been given a new (2nd hand)* juicer and apples are super cheap just up the road.

*New to me, owned before.

how important is cooling the cider? i was planning on doing it over summer in our garage, which maintains a moderate temperature. if i have to refrigerate, things are going to be a lot more difficult.

I just find a smoother end result if I keep ferment cool. Less sulphur too (although adding nutrient and pitching a healthy amount of healthy yeast lessens this as well).

My reading of traditional cidermaking suggests cool, slow ferment and my own experience supports this.

I don't do it in a fridge but without a fridge or some other cooler chamber/container it might e harder in summer, dependent on location.

kept in in the garage fermenting for 2 weeks. managed to maintain it at a pretty constant 24 degrees. didn't use any nutrient, so i'm a little worried about the sulfur, but with any luck it'll be okay :)

cracked open the first one last night.

it wasn't the best thing i've ever had, but for a first try i think it was pretty good.

there is virtually no sweetness, it's slightly dry, and it's very alcoholic.

will be knocking back a few over the coming months!

Back