Pinlock Virgin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I need some pinlock advice,

i picked up a pinlock keg a while back, and it's time to start using it. (all of my others are ball lock, so I'm a pinlock virgin)

I ordered a pair of disconnects from CNC Cupcake world via fleabay.

The disconnects seem a little odd to me, but it may be a pinlock thing? the grey and black collars at the bottom of the connect are loose, ie they turn around the red section as much as you like? is this normal?

when I put the conncet onto the keg, the red bit wobbles like hell and a quick 'mouth pressure' test show they seem to just leak out above the keg fitting. It must be engaging a little as the poppet is opening the disconnect enough to allow 'mouth pressure' through, but it just doesn't seem right.

Am I missing something about pinloocks? I thought the red section and the black or grey section would be 'welded' together, not swiveling on each other?

How do I work them?

cheers.

I need some pinlock advice,

i picked up a pinlock keg a while back, and it's time to start using it. (all of my others are ball lock, so I'm a pinlock virgin)

I ordered a pair of disconnects from CNC Cupcake world via fleabay.

The disconnects seem a little odd to me, but it may be a pinlock thing? the grey and black collars at the bottom of the connect are loose, ie they turn around the red section as much as you like? is this normal?

when I put the conncet onto the keg, the red bit wobbles like hell and a quick 'mouth pressure' test show they seem to just leak out above the keg fitting. It must be engaging a little as the poppet is opening the disconnect enough to allow 'mouth pressure' through, but it just doesn't seem right.

Am I missing something about pinloocks? I thought the red section and the black or grey section would be 'welded' together, not swiveling on each other?

How do I work them?

cheers.
Yes swivel is the norm. re wobbly bits, do you have o rings fitted to posts?

99% certain there's o-rings on the posts (at work now so can't check)

are they the same size as ball lock ones? i've got a bag full of them, may be worth replacing anyways.

any tips on getting the posts off for a full rebuild? the posts are round... do you use the pins as a leverage point or vicegrips on the round base section?

Don't know if they are the same size. My posts are hex where the pins meet the post and I use spanners.

Get a spark plug socket (can't remember exact size) and use s grinder to cit slots in it that line up with the pins. Would post a pic but on my phone.

Arghonaut said:
Get a spark plug socket (can't remember exact size) and use s grinder to cit slots in it that line up with the pins. Would post a pic but on my phone.
I've seen the sparkplug socket idea, but I was under the impression you cut the slots to clear the pins and access the hex underneath?

My pinlock posts are round the whole way down, i'm a little sceptical about using the pin as a leverage point to undo the post?

well I've tried and tried and I just can't get it. I push the red centre section down onto the post as good as I can and it feels like it sits and seats well, but when I turn the collar (grey or black) and let go, it all just pops up breaking the seal, I just can't fathom how this is going to join together...

sounds like there not locking on to the keg.i push mine on then turn the collar on the post slightly till they pick up the pins.

Push it down and TURN THE COLAR. Use two hands one pushing down, one turning the collar and look at what is happening. It will all become clear.

Unless you have an old pinlock keg and then I think it will not fit? Post a pic of the keg.

There are notches in pin lock disconnects, three for beer & two for gas. As you press down on the red body you twist the bottom, locking it into the 'pins' on the keg posts

If its not as simple as that then you have the wrong connections

I think you're on the money Brewologist

It's the type of keg with a 'racetrack' lid.

I measured the post at diameter 14mm and the disconnect is 16mm, no way that's going to seal!

I got a little more determined with the vice grips and got the posts off, turns out they're a male thread 1/2BSP, so now they'll get replaced with ball locks to match the rest of my gear, (and because I broke one of the pins getting the liquid post off)

I've contacted Ambar Technology for a price, but I'm not looking forward to the cost...

anyone got any ball-lock x 1/2BSP posts lying around?

It may be do-able with a couple of adaptors from CHI Company, Or as this is a party-use only 50L keg, it may get some 'special' treatment with some ball valves and push-fittings!

Ive found some 1/2 BSP ball locks locally at less than 30 bucks each (which to me is cheap as ebay had them at around 80-90 for a pair plus postage.

they're in the keg and i'm pressure testing it for a few days, but all looking good.

if anyone's in a similar boat and looking for some random stainless stuff, try folk who supply the wine industry as well as the standard beer world.

Latest posts

Back