Pink Powder !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Bitchfighting" is wearing a little too thin. :(

I joined this forum almost a year ago because it was a refreshing, informative, friendly and very co-operative exchange of ideas (and still is). Some relevant some not so relevant.

Hey we're all human though and I'm sure some of the bad advice stems from people who are only trying to help and I'm sure they're intentions are sound.

Unfortunately it's starting to remind me a little of another nameless (Australian) forum on craftbrewing that was basically heading in the same direction as this one could well do given the current in-fighting.

We should keep the egos in check and bear in mind that we're all here for the same reason. To share our knowledge and make good beer.

Warren - :party:

all bitch fighting aside...why don't all you pink stain remover users just save you pennies and use napi san?

Jayse

Maybe some of "those" from the other list have made their way here???

And maybe they should go back.

I remember a time here when if you didnt like what some posted you ignored it and went on(maybe made a little light fun at their expense too)

The pink stain remover is actually also sold as espresso machine destainer. I know this because I use it on none other than my espresso machine. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff you guys are (sometimes ;) ) talking about. The can lists the contents as being Sodium Carbonate 30% - <60%.

Wait for the price. I paid $20 for a 500g can. From what I can veryify it has about the same stain removing capacity as Napisan which retails for about $5 bucks a kilo.

Next time I want espresso machine destainer I think I'll start heading around the HB stores. :blink:

Warren -

Outback Brewshed said:
Napisan?

How long do you leave it in for?
[post="50929"][/post]​

OB,

Do a search for "napisan" you'll find quite a number of posts on the subject. Usually add about 2-3 teaspoons to a fermenter filled with hot water, leave several hours to overnight and probably no longer. Rinse twice with cold water till the residue is gone.

Warren -

Rippa,
Then Nappysan i will go.........
good to see something good came out of this thread !
Cheers jayse.......Warrenlw63........

I have recently gone to Napi San No name brand four cleaning and good old bleach for sterilizing I think this combo will do me it seems to work a treat and it's cheap.

maybe a good subject for a poll??

Napisan for me - works a treat....

jayse said:
why don't all you pink stain remover users just save you pennies and use napi san?
Jayse
[post="50927"][/post]​

Ladies and Gents

Just remember that Napisan is a great cleaner (I used it on all my gear), but not a sterilant, so like the Bigfella does, you need to use something like bleach to sterlise (I use stuff made for dairies).

On the subject of the pink stain remover (Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate according to doc), the MSDS sheet says it is white. This probably means something has been added to the Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate. This probably needs a bit more investigation before you buy it in bulk.

Cheers
Pedro

Thanks Dicko, I thankyou for the help. I have printed it and it is in the brew book.

jayse said:
all bitch fighting aside...why don't all you pink stain remover users just save you pennies and use napi san?
[post="50927"][/post]​
Or save even more and buy the real mccoy, sodium percarbonate.

http://brewiki.org/CleaningAndSanitation

And thanks for the plug bigfella. Even though I paid $5 kg for the uncut stuff, IIRC someone mentioned to me not long ago they saw 25kg bags at Advance Chemicals for well under $100, I couldn't find their price online but I sent them an email requesting info.

cheers

Pedro, Consolidated Chemicals is at 14b George St, Greenfields 8285 6822 (p160 of the 04/05 yellow pages)

Ace Chemicals is not the one I am thinking of--i have bought stuff from both.

JM

sosman,

In that link it says napisan only remains active for 5 to 6 hours - I think most people, like myself have been using for much longer periods -

Mixing Solutions Of Sodium Percarbonate
Sodium Percarbonate solutions will remain active for 5 to 6 hours, after which they should be discarded. Unused material may be poured down the drain. It will actually help clean and deodorize your disposal or toilet.
Sodium percarbonate solutions are most effective when mixed and used in warm to hot solutions (100 to 150 F).

Any thoughts?...

Jovial_Monk said:
Consolidated Chemicals is at 14b George St, Greenfields 8285 6822 (p160 of the 04/05 yellow pages)
[post="51043"][/post]​

Your colour blind, it is p160 of the white pages.

The name is "Consolidated Chemical" (no s) which is why I couldn't find it with the online whitepages.

While lloking in the yellow pages, there is a place called Sopura on Magill Rd that says it supplies chemicals to the brewing industry.

Cheers
Pedro

Ross said:
In that link it says napisan only remains active for 5 to 6 hours - I think most people, like myself have been using for much longer periods -

Mixing Solutions Of Sodium Percarbonate
Sodium Percarbonate solutions will remain active for 5 to 6 hours, after which they should be discarded. Unused material may be poured down the drain. It will actually help clean and deodorize your disposal or toilet.
Sodium percarbonate solutions are most effective when mixed and used in warm to hot solutions (100 to 150 F).
[post="51046"][/post]​
That sounds fair. What you are left with when the oxygen dissipates is a solution of sodium carbonate (washing soda) and water. I guess this in itself has some cleaning properties but it is the active oxygen that does the heavy lifting. Once it stops giving off bubbles then I chuck it.

I used PSR/Pink Stain in the dishwasher with all my beer glasses yesterday. They came up a treat.

Beers,
Doc

I reckon your dishwasher is nice & clean too.
I have your Pink Powder ready with your other stuff for this week Doc
Cheers
Gerard
Oh Doc you forgot to mention that I tried to talk you out of using it & questioned whether you had read the MSDS for this product.

Latest posts

Back