Pilsner - Hop Schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two queries here thanks Zwickel.
What yeast are you using that you can pitch at 8-10c and gets a final gravity of 1008 ?
So you are boiling your bittering hops for around 80 minutes.
Cheers, Hoges.
The yeast Im using comes from a brewery near Frankfurt, its the Binding Brewery. Friend of mine gave it to me.
Also Im using a yeast strain that comes from the Jever Brewery in northern Germany.

Both of them are high flocculating and they produce a very clear beer; the yeast falls like lead to the bottom.
To achieve a high attenuation, one needs a high pitching rate, as Kook wrote:

Although I can't speak for Zwickel, i'd suspect that this has more to do with pitching rates than the strain itself. Zwickel has posted pictures of huge yeast slurries in the past (Link).
yeah, thats right, have a look

3504.JPG

Also I gotta say, that it is necessary to have a well airated and nutritous wort. The airation is easy to do, have a look:
here
for the nutrition Im doing the so called protein rest. Id like to emphasize, Im not doing the protein rest for head retention or similar things, Im doing it only to feed the yeast with amino acids thats built during the protein rest. I think thats a very important point to get a low FG.

So in the end, maybe you wouldnt love that beer much, because there is no malty taste, not at all, nothing but hops taste......and it makes you drunk ;)

For Ale-Lovers, like Australians, it will be way too dry methinks.

Cheers mates :icon_cheers:

So you are boiling your bittering hops for around 80 minutes.
Sorry Hogan, Ive forgotten:

I start counting the time when Ive added the hops, that means 90min boil of the hops, 100min altogether.

With a 90min boil it is easier for me to calculate the IBUs. Im using the Glenn Tinseth formula to calculate the IBUs, so Im gonna get an yield of ~25% when the boil lasts for 90min.

For example: one is using 100g hops containing an AA of 10% (=10g AA). After a 90min boil, 2.5g (25%) of the AA will be isomerized into the wort.

1mg of isomerized AA in 1litre= 1IBU

So in a 100liter batch that 2500mg isomerized AA would lead to 25IBU

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Also Im using a yeast strain that comes from the Jever Brewery in northern Germany.

Zwickel, when you say you are using the Jever strain, is this another one you've been given by a mate, or is one of the available liquid strains reputed to be from possibly my favourite pilsner?

Zwickel, when you say you are using the Jever strain, is this another one you've been given by a mate, or is one of the available liquid strains reputed to be from possibly my favourite pilsner?
thats also a strain that has been given to me from a mate who lives close to the Jever brewery. So far all of my yeast strains are given from some breweries around here.

Cheers

thats also a strain that has been given to me from a mate who lives close to the Jever brewery. So far all of my yeast strains are given from some breweries around here.

Cheers
Ah well. Not that it's that important I was just curious. I plan to have a stab at approximating a pilsner like Jever because it is possibly my favourite and my dad has been converted recently.
Even in the bottle here in Australia I thought it maintained it's quality.
I haven't had it in Germany but tried it for the first time in the UK a couple of years ago.

I'll do some reading when the time comes from me to design a recipe but if you've got any info on the yeast or the beer, outside of IBU levels, feel free to swing it my way :)

sure I can tellya: as you know, the most of fermentable sugar is built by the beta amylase that has its peak at around 63C.
the more starch is converted by the beta amylase, the drier your beer becomes.

My mash schedule is as follows:
doing a protein rest for around 15 to 20min. at 52C, just to produce amino acids that is necessary for a healthy yeast grow
rest for 40 to 45min at 63C (beta amylase rest)
rest for 20 to 30min at 72C (alpha amylase rest)
rise the temp to 78C and mashout.
Cheers :icon_cheers:
Just curious about the mash schedule. Do you find you get much from the alpha amylase rest? I thought 40-45 minutes would be long enough for the beta amylase rest to convert just about all of the starch?

What would be a good time to up the temp if you wanted a more malty beer?

Just curious about the mash schedule. Do you find you get much from the alpha amylase rest? I thought 40-45 minutes would be long enough for the beta amylase rest to convert just about all of the starch?

I'll say in this case it would be best to follow it and see,exactly what I'll will do next pilsner.

I think the only answer you'll be happy with is the one you brew and drink,(or I brew and drink) good luck with it,I am using Summer Saaz

Batz

Hello Josh,
No, you never get all of the starch konverted. If you want to get a more malty beer, Id suggest to skip the protein rest and do a 30min beta- and also a 30min alpha amylase rest, or just do a 60min single infusion mash with a temp somwhere between.
see above

Hello Josh,

No, you never get all of the starch konverted. If you want to get a more malty beer, Id suggest to skip the protein rest and do a 30min beta- and also a 30min alpha amylase rest, or just do a 60min single infusion mash with a temp somwhere between.

see above

So a protein rest is 48 to 52. what temp is beta and what temp is alpha amylase?

So a protein rest is 48 to 52. what temp is beta and what temp is alpha amylase?
as Ive written earlier in this thread: protein rest at 52C
beta amylase at 63C
alpha amylase at 72C

:icon_cheers:

Back