Pilsner Brewed As An Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hashie

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested in doing a Pilsner style for drinking in the warm weather. But seeing as I don't have a fermenting fridge and can't be assed mucking about with ice blocks etc. I was wondering if I could brew one as an ale?

What I'm thinking is;

For 25 litre batch

4.5 kg Pilsner malt mashed for 90 minutes @ 64 degrees.

Mt Hood 50g @ 3.5% a/a 60 mins
Mt Hood 25g @ 3.5% a/a 20 mins
Mt Hood 25g @3.5% a/a 2 mins

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

According to Beersmith, Nottingham can be fermented cool to produce a Lager style. I can ferment at around 15-16 degrees.

Will this work or will it just be a Frankenale?

Shouldn't be anything wrong with doing this. It'll just be a very pale pale ale. I've brewed a couple of pale ales with nothing but Pilsner and they turn out very clean and light, and really let the hops shine. And if the yeast is quite a clean fermenter, it'll turn out almost like a Pils anyway.
Essentially you are brewing a SMASH beer.

Thanks Muggus, yes the intention was on a smash, but in a Pils style. Nottingham is a clean and neutral yeast so it should work.
I guess I'll just have to do it and see how it goes.
At the end of the day it'll still be beer!!

Hi all, I'm interested in doing a Pilsner style for drinking in the warm weather. But seeing as I don't have a fermenting fridge and can't be assed mucking about with ice blocks etc. I was wondering if I could brew one as an ale?

What I'm thinking is;

For 25 litre batch

According to Beersmith, Nottingham can be fermented cool to produce a Lager style. I can ferment at around 15-16 degrees.

I tested this theory a few years ago. The end result was the last excuse I needed to buy another fridge to do proper lagers. I think you will be dissapointed. You could always do a nice summer ale. I have an ale finished with Nelson Sauvin and its the perfect drink for a summers day.

Cheers
KOS

One thing that does come to mind is the bitterness.
An ale yeast probably won't attenuate as well, and you may need some extra IBU's to balance it out.

Nottingham will produce a lager style beer but needs to be kept at around 15 degrees. I regularly make fake lagers using US-05, but again I keep it at around 17 degrees. Does a good job but in your case if you ferment an ale yeast 'hot' you are not really going to get a lager style beer.
One yeast to consider is Morgans Lager Yeast (Mauribrew) if you genuinely can't get below 20. It's a lager yeast supplied for kits and made by Mauribrew in Toowoomba. I've had success with it but it doesn't ferment out as clean as a 'cold' lager yeast and you would need to put some extra IBU's in there to sharpen up the taste, for sure.

Edit: oops just read the 16 degrees bit in your OP - yes go the Notto but I still am a fan of US-05. Another yeast to seriously consider is S-189 dried Swiss Lager yeast. I have used this at 16 degrees and it turns out ok, lots of sulphur and a lot longer to condition than an ale. I have heard of guys using it up to 20 degrees and getting good results.

What I'm thinking is;

For 25 litre batch

I have got a couple of things to say,

1. Use Whitelabs San Francisco Lager yeast. It has the unique ability to give real clean lager characteristics even when used at ambient temps.
2. I would not mash at 64C. I think 65C would be the lower end of the scale. A mash @ 64 will be too dry IMHO.

Some good info there.

Bribie, I had thought of US-05 but prefer the Nottingham for it's finish. I've also used the Swiss lager yeast before, could have been the beer I made, but didn't enjoy the end result. That was with a case study of "1"!

Lindsay, I'll have to have a look at the SF Yeast, I hadn't heard of it before and having a lager yeast to work at ambient temps would be a good option.
I mash most of my ales at 64 (BIAB) and don't find them too dry. I find they still have good body with some residual sweetness. Could be that my thermometer is up the creek as well!

Back