PID Recommendations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Ramp/soak are actual functions in some controller units. These aren't needed for a HERMS system to reach or maintain a set temp.

PID = proportional, integral, derivitive, which are factors put in the Laplace transform of the transfer function blah blah >>> all PID means for our intent and purpose is that there are 'smarts' in the controller which incorporate a feedback loop to acheive a set value. i.e you want 62°C at a certain point, then the controller with achieve 62°C at that point and maintain it (regardless of where the system is being heated or cooled).

Ramp (as a function) maintains or limits the rate of change of a value. You can adjust the ramp so you can limit the rate of heating to 0.5°C/min. Alternatively, you can set it to 1.5°C/min when your system can only do 1°C/min, in which case it will be like switching it into manual. In the absence of ramp the controller will simply heat using PID.

Soak (as a function) maintains a set value (utilising PID control) for a given amount of time before moving to another value. This is handy for step mashing in the home brew scene, where you could have a soak at 65, 72 then 78 for example.

In my brewery I turn my PID to 58°C for mash-in. The PID unit will keep the element going until it hits about 51°C, then start cycling the HERMS element off. This slows down the heating considerably as it learns from the feedback loop, and can take about 4 mins to get from 57-58°C. However, by doing this it avoids overshoot and will sit on 58°C for hours on end, which is the whole point of PID.

In reality, I walk away, and come back an hour later and the MT is at 58°C. I change each step manually and have a timer on my phone for the steps, so I don't have a need for extra stuff. To each their own though.
Soooo, in short, ramp is to reach a temp and soak is to maintain a temp.

You wouldn't be an engineer by any chance would you Wiggman?

Camo6 said:
Soooo, in short, ramp is to reach a temp and soak is to maintain a temp.
... no (kinda). You don't need 'ramp' to reach a temp, you don't need 'soak' to maintain a temp.
BUT
Ramp (as a function) will reach a temp at a specific rate
Soak (as a function) will maintain a tamp for a set amount of time

Camo6 said:

You wouldn't be an engineer by any chance would you Wiggman?
I'm just your regular internet forum troll :p

I use 2 SESTOS PIDs, no ramp/soak function, in my system and they work fine at raising and holding temperature. I did lash out on these http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=249 probes and got them from AUBERINS, they are fantastic. Got the braid upgrade a well. Really fast temp readings. I did have a cheap ebay probe for testing and found it miles behind the AUBERINS probes.

So far I have not regretted buying the cheap PIDs and at $30 each it's no big deal if one fails.

I don't know why everyone's getting over-analytical about the whole ramp/soak thing. The only thing to note about the difference between the two (non ramp/soak and ramp soak) is that one model will get to and hold a temperature but do nothing more without playing with it and the ramp/soak one can be programmed with steps. For HERMS it's a no brainer, you go a ramp/soak PID so that you can program in your whole mash schedule just like a Braumeister and then walk away and do the mowing to come back for the sparge.

I hope Mick has been able to make heads and tails out of it all.

Wow... Thanks for all the info guys. Pretty sure ive made sence of it.

Anyways, by what has been said verses the recipes I make, Ill just go with the non ramp/soak PID. For staters Ill just using it for the HLT and when I go down the HERMS road the standard PID will do too since I only do a sacc rest and a mashout which I guess I can put in manually.

Now as far as brands go, is there really much difference between the sestos and Auber? Also Ive seen some detachable/braided pt100 probe+cables on ebay for about $25, can anyone comment on those?

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers

TheWiggman said:
<snip>
Ramp (as a function) will reach a temp at a specific rate
<snip>
Yes! IFF your system can heat at the specific rate required. No point have a ramp of 70c-77c over 5 minutes if your system can only heat at 1c/min.

The good thing about the Auberins ramp/soak is that if you set a too aggressive time frame in which to ramp, the next step just waits till the temp is reached to start its step timer. Great units if ramp/soak and multi steps is what you need.

Personally I find a 62c through 65c for 30 minutes is a great well balanced wort for nearly all ales, I just vary the amount of crystal to change the sweetness of the final product.

_Mick_ said:
Anyways, by what has been said verses the recipes I make, Ill just go with the non ramp/soak PID. For staters Ill just using it for the HLT and when I go down the HERMS road the standard PID will do too since I only do a sacc rest and a mashout which I guess I can put in manually.
Once you've built your HERMS and have the ability to do step mashes, you will find yourself wanting to do step mashes. I bought the Sestos PID (as far as I know, Sestos don't make a ramp/soak model) and wish I'd gone for the Auberins with the ramp/soak. Of course you can do step mashes without ramp/soak, but wouldn't you rather be mowing the lawn (apparently this is the AHB-approved inter-mash activity) than returning multiple times to fiddle with the PID?

To reiterate what others have said, you could forgo the whole PID thing for the HLT - I've always found an STC-1000 to be accurate enough, especially with the fine control you'll get with a HERMS.

squirt in the turns said:
To reiterate what others have said, you could forgo the whole PID thing for the HLT - I've always found an STC-1000 to be accurate enough, especially with the fine control you'll get with a HERMS.
Good point, I guess if its just for my HLT an STC should do the trick. Thoughts anyone?

I ran an STC for both HLT and HERMS. Both worked flawlessly with little overshoot. More than suitable for a HLT.

Cheers Camo, might just do that for the hlt.

Latest posts

Back