Pid Newbie Stuff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check with the enclosure supplier they may have SSR mounting blocks to fit the cut out.

Something like this one, but that suits the AuberInst enclosure.

QldKev

Hmmm, okay i'll go and ask 'em.

thoughts regarding the master switch(s)? would you use any at all? Just the first circuit? One on each circuit?

I wouldn't bother with the master switches, unless yo were going to use an emergency stop button. (not best price just first ones found). If you do add a switch / stop button I would put it on bother circuits to keep it the same.

QldKev

I wouldn't bother with the master switches, unless yo were going to use an emergency stop button. (not best price just first ones found). If you do add a switch / stop button I would put it on bother circuits to keep it the same.

QldKev

righto, thanks again Kev. Maybe i'll leave them out.

cheers,

Nath

Big Nath, just logged on ,dunno the dimensions of the ssr,i think they are a common size (obviously no help) to tell you the truth i am bed atm and have no intention of going down to the shed and measuring it. (taking the piss,no offence).
i still have the heatsink that came with the ssr and have no use for it,if you want it pm your address and i will send it to you no probs
the pid is a 40amp job but its stuffed so i have ordered a 25amp from ebay to replace it.actually i bought 5x25amp ssr's for $20.70 postage free.cant have too many ;)
when i get the ssr the ongoing build will get closer to completion then the brewing will kick off.

..cheers....spog....

no worries spog...rest up mate!

actually, after i wrote the earlier post, i tracked down the ssr and heatsink on ebay and that had the dimensions of the heatsink. as they are going to both go together that's all the info i needed.

General question...

i didn't realise just how small 45mm x 45mm square is. (PID dimensions according to auberins).

are they hard to read?

i cut out a 45 x 45 piece of cardboard to get a feel for how big it's gonna be in my control box, and there's gonna be a lot of leftover space....

My box is:

24cm wide X 16cm high... PID is 5cm square.

I have no problem reading it.

My main problem is giggling as it steps trough the mash.. its like it knows what I want it to do!! ;)

B)

IMG_0755.JPG

My main problem is giggling as it steps trough the mash.. its like it knows what I want it to do!! ;)

B)

View attachment 58903

yeah, cheers cocko mate.

your opinion on ramp soak, buy it once buy it right swayed me to go the ramp soak option.
Don't have to use it, but i'm sure i will ;)

yeah, cheers cocko mate.

your opinion on ramp soak, buy it once buy it right swayed me to go the ramp soak option.
Don't have to use it, but i'm sure i will ;)

Loving watching it come together for you mate, keep the pics and posts coming!

Its like we are all now waiting for your postman!

Best part!

:icon_cheers:

Loving watching it come together for you mate, keep the pics and posts coming!

Its like we are all now waiting for your postman!

Best part!

:icon_cheers:

It's only the best part if you're not the one waiting for the postie! This one is gonna drive me nuts I can tell. I've never ordered this much stuff for a project before. Can't wait to assemble it. Realistically it will be a month though. It's a Chrissy present from Mrs Nath. I will take snaps as the parts arrive and can start laying it all out. Just can't 'assemble' it till Dec 25. That was the deal I madewith her.

Oh we'll, at least the project is moving forward.

How quick are Auberins freighting stuff to Ostraya?

Bored out of my mind last night, trawling through some youtube vids about PID controllers, i came across a vid where they guy had an LED that was showing when the PID was triggering the relay.
I am sure this is nothing new and amazing, but it's something i'd like to do with my rig to dress it up. Yes i know the PID displays on the screen of the PID when it's firing the relay, but i still want the little light on my control panel just 'cause it looks cool.

Looking through my Jaycar catalogue, suggests that the 12v LED's only have two wires coming off them.
Would i just attach each side to the 12V LED to the "hotter" 12V control feed from the pid? ie; only need to wire it in series across the one power feed?

cheers

BN

You can wire the light (you sure it's a 12v led?) To the 12v or you could get a 240v light and wire it in parallel to the element. This way you know if the relay blows. Either wayis fine, but my lid already tells me when the element is switched on. It's an auberins btw

You can wire the light (you sure it's a 12v led?) To the 12v or you could get a 240v light and wire it in parallel to the element. This way you know if the relay blows. Either wayis fine, but my lid already tells me when the element is switched on. It's an auberins btw

I can get both 12v and 240v but I like the visual appearance of the 12v chrome bezel led's, in which case I'll be using the 12v control feed from PID to ssr. So I just work out which is the hot cable from the 12v feed, connect it to one led wire, and the other led wire continues on to the ssr?
The neutral 12v feed from the PID goes straight to the ssr?

Pretty sure you can get the 240v version in the same look. I'm pretty sure I've got one I bought from jay car in my parts bin that will be mounted on my brewery as described when I feel like prettying up the system.

Cool, but what about the wiring for it? Do I only connect it inline on the hot wire?

Cool, but what about the wiring for it? Do I only connect it inline on the hot wire?
For the 240v I'd connect one end to one side of the element and the other to the other end of the element. this is wiring it in parralell Haven't read much of the thread but if you are not 100% on electronics make sure someone checks things over aka a sparky.if I was at home I'd draw you a diagram, but I can,t here.

Edit: no, not in line.

This is what i was thinking.....is this correct or not?

LED.jpg

cheers for your help with this 'labb.

Picture is taken from a wiring diagram i have drawn up and had feedback on from several which indicate the rest of the diagram is correct. Just wanted clarification on this particular part with the LED.

Cheers,

Nath

A question...
If you use a pt100 sensor there are 3 wires, but only 2 spots to attach them on the PID.
Which ones go where?
Mine isn't registering as receiving a clear temp signal, and yes that PID is compatible with rtd pt 100.

B)

LED.jpg

Check for the exact resister value needed when you buy your LED.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back