Pid Newbie Stuff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that one, heaps better idea

QldKev

Right. I'll go and grab two of those bad boys tomorrow.

The picture of it, and i've also just looked through my jaycar catalogue, it shows near the button "5A". Is that a problem in the sense that the circuits would both need 10 amps?

To make it alot easier for yourself get an electrician to install a 20a or even a 32a protected circuit to your brewimg area then you will have the capacity to split that circuit up in the box to all the circuits you want using breakers. Main power comes in then bus bar to the breakers for each circuit all on din rail, pid can go on the din rail too.

Cheers mate, yeah i've looked (very roughly mind you) at getting some dedicated power outside to the brewery area, but at this stage i probably need to save some coin on doing that.
One day though... one day....

The picture of it, and i've also just looked through my jaycar catalogue, it shows near the button "5A". Is that a problem in the sense that the circuits would both need 10 amps?
I think they have just re-used the picture (they sell them in different ratings). Make sure you get one with 10A on it.

I think they have just re-used the picture (they sell them in different ratings). Make sure you get one with 10A on it.

Awesome, thanks Glen you're a champ.

So, if i get two of those breakers and install them as per the diagram that kev modified, everything is good to start wiring her up?

And i think i'd like to keep the enclosure layout the same as i posted earlier... all good??

Awesome, thanks Glen you're a champ.

So, if i get two of those breakers and install them as per the diagram that kev modified, everything is good to start wiring her up?

And i think i'd like to keep the enclosure layout the same as i posted earlier... all good??
No worries. Sounds good.

OK, so that's the final nail in the coffin then yeah?

I don't need to consider anything else before i start the assembly? Only reason i ask is this enclosure was bloody pricey, and i need to settle on the wiring and layout and all that crap before i go punching holes in the box.

Assuming "im done" and nothing else needs looking at, i'd like to formally thank both GlenW and in particular a huge thanks to QldKev for all of you guys' help along the way with all this stuff.

I said from the outset if i could just get a little help i was sure i could get this stuff safely assembled, and i love learning about new stuff when it comes to most things (in particular brewing) and without you guys helping me out, i'd be rooted.

Thanks fellas.

Nathan

just a quickie about circuit breakers. Went to jaycar this morning, and talked to him about circuit breakers.

I did some reading about "thermal circuit breakers" like the barrel shaped one in a few posts above this, and it seems like the thermal ones rely on temp of the breaker to expand and separate the contacts.
The rating on them only seems to be around 25deg, so i asked local Jaycar man about them.

He advised i should be using a mechanical relay, so i've ordered two of these:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2258

rated at 250V, 10amp and they are panel mount too. Saw them in person (the 5A versions though) and they look nice and neat.

Now just waiting on my 240v outlet panel mount sockets, and the circuit breakers and i'll start putting it all together.

I did some reading about "thermal circuit breakers" like the barrel shaped one in a few posts above this, and it seems like the thermal ones rely on temp of the breaker to expand and separate the contacts.
The rating on them only seems to be around 25deg, so i asked local Jaycar man about them.

Wow - 25 <_< . Makes it pretty much useless you only need to use it outdoors in winter.

Wow - 25 <_< . Makes it pretty much useless you only need to use it outdoors in winter.

yeah that's what i was thinking too. A hot day (like today) and there's a big chance i won't even get to heat my strike water.

I think you'll find even the thermal would be ok, 25c is the rated temp but you just need to apply a correction for how hot it is. You can get more than the rated power through the breaker, it will trip based on load x time. The last breaker you found will probably be easy to mount as you just need to drill a round hole.

Great topic guys,
Im subscribing, cause I wanna see the build, to copy it later in the year.

Thumbs up.

Just read this thread from start to finish. Very, very, very informative; and perfect timing for me as I set up my brewspace.

Well done to you Big Nath for persisting and to everyone else for being so helpful.

Looking forward to the final build!

Hey Big Nath,
Just wondering where you are at with this.

I had a thought about running 2 X 2200 watt elements of one ssr. I think they draw about 18- 19amps and I can get an SSR that does 25 or even 40 amps. I have a mate who is a sparky and he can run a dedicated brewery powerpoint. From my understanding this would work. Also, if this is possible could I run 2 seperate points from the SSR, 1 for each element (2 wires out of one ssr contact).

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Your

mattyl said:
Hey Big Nath,
Just wondering where you are at with this.

I had a thought about running 2 X 2200 watt elements of one ssr. I think they draw about 18- 19amps and I can get an SSR that does 25 or even 40 amps. I have a mate who is a sparky and he can run a dedicated brewery powerpoint. From my understanding this would work. Also, if this is possible could I run 2 seperate points from the SSR, 1 for each element (2 wires out of one ssr contact).

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
First yes, if your sparky mate setup a 20amp powerpoint that would be possible to run 2 element from the one SSR. I would use at least a 40amp SSR, that way it wont get as hot as the 25 would.

For your second question. A pid can control more than 1 SSR. So you could use two separate power points, wired to it's own SSR and to the dedicated element. Then the pid just switches both SSRs on and off for you. I happen to have 4 x 10amp feeds and 3 SSRs / 3 elements from 1 of my pids in my control panel.

Here's my wiring diagram (diagram for ideas only, your electrician will verify if it is correct)

control_zpsa90e43d7.png

Maybe the full wiring diagram is a bit complex. Here's a simple view of the SSR hookup

2ssr.png

QldKev said:
Maybe the full wiring diagram is a bit complex. Here's a simple view of the SSR hookup

attachicon.gif
2ssr.png
Great info as usual. I did work my way through the other diagram. This one makes it much simpler and this means I could avoid having my mate put a power point in, for a while anyway. My house has 2 power circuits so I usually just run a lead for the second element. I actually thought of doing what you have shown me but was not sure if it was possible, so you have answered another question for me.
Thanks Kev

Thought I would put up a pic of what I ended up doing. This can run my herms HX, my boil and a recirculating pump. I do double batches using a recirculating BIAB.
DISCLAIMER ** PLEASE DONT COPY. I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN. IDEAS ONLY**
Have 60 amp line to garage. Then ran 4 individual 10 amp feeds to brew area hanging from ceiling. This has a pump switch at the bottom as well.
1399332481228.jpg
1399332799635.jpg
Not quite finished yet. 2 auber deluxe thermocouples and sestos pid in the mail. Was going to go with auber ramp/soak but got too costly. May upgrade later.

Latest posts

Back