Pickled Onions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_guy

Reaction score
Gave pickled onions a crack:

2kg bag of pickling onions from market $3

Brine for 24 hours in a basic brine solution
Add to sterile jar and top with malt vinegar, bay leaves, pepper corns, cinnamon and dried chipotle chilli

Leave sit for 1 month

Ready this friday - have almost opened it twice!!

Sounds good, Be very curious to see how these turn out New Guy. Flick a message up after you taste one.

Cheers Sean

I remember jars of these at fish and chip shops when I was kid. ELI5, what do you normally eat these with?

I am hanging out for a few with some good bitey cheddar and an IPA or 3....

sean83 said:
Sounds good, Be very curious to see how these turn out New Guy. Flick a message up after you taste one.

Cheers Sean
Will do mate
Interested to see what the smokey chilli does to 'em

Sound pretty much what I do, but I also throw in some black mustard seeds and a few cloves of garlic (you eat them just like the pickled onions) and I tend to use cider vinegar.
They come out pretty good, and like you said with some good tasty/mature cheese they go down a treat.

Big thumbs up for the cider vinegar but another tip - bring your vinegar and spice mixture to just under a boil and then let it cool. This drives off the volatile components of the vinegar. Also try some honey in a batch.

Wes

Ah yeah after reading QldKev's link, don't forget the sugar/honey, I just keep adding til it tastes right, normally brown sugar for me. Definatley puts a pucker on your face if you forget.

I like it with sugar and also without. Without makes an awesome steak topper. Maple syrup / Golden syrup also is also great.

DU99 said:
Shallots work also.. when i do them..sprinkle some dry chillies into the jar
Stupid question - your talking proper French shallots right?
Sounds like cool idea

djar007 said:
Ok. I have some Trinidads nearly ready to go. Might need to put a has chem sign on them
Hey djar007

Any chance I can trade u some brews for some trinidads?
Or pickled onions or cider??

I saw mentioned in another thread fermented onions? Haven't heard of those before, anyone here got experience with them?

Latest posts

Back