Pickled Eggs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad the Pale Aler

Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Pickled eggs

Its been years since I've seen a dusty jar of these lurking on a shelf behind a bar, and the look of horror on everyones face as the room goes quiet, and everyone turns to look at the bloke who actually wants to try one.
They're not quite that bad really, and as always the home made version is always better than the mass produced. usually they come in two types, sweet or savoury.
The sweeter ones use sugar and beetroot in the pickling vinegar, and the savoury ones can have all manner of spices.
Below is the recipe for a batch I done yesterday.

hard boil 1 doz large free range eggs, set aside to cool, then shell them
1.2 l brown malt vinegar
tsp crushed garlic
tsp crushed chilli
bay leaf
cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp ground peppercorns
1/2 tsp ground coriander
10 crushed cloves
boil up for 10 mins, then cool, strain the mixture (or not, to preference)
put the eggs into a large pickling jar, pour on the liquid
leave for at least 2 weeks, they don't need refrigeration, then enjoy with a pint of best bitter

You can vary it to suit your tastes, use cider vinegar, pickling spices or whatever you like, I think I will add a curry theme next batch.

I will be standing up-wind of you from now on Vlad.

I've wanted to make pickled eggs for ages, guess I should get off my lazy arse and do it.

YUM - havent had a pickled egg in years.....cheers for the recipe Vlad. They sound great.
Cheers
Steve

A favourite food of mine. Love em with an Ale or six.

I make mine with freshly laid backyard eggs ^_^

Makes all the difference.

Thanks for posting the recipe Vlad, today I pickled 10 eggs and I am looking forward to tasting them, I added some sliced fresh ginger to your recipe because we love ginger. How long do you think pickled eggs would last unopened?
blue_cheese3_009.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

I think pickled stuff lasts for a very long time, if you can keep your hands off em.
I have had a few samples of the last batch, I drained off the spices after boiling, I think I should have left them in for a fuller flavour.
Still very nice though, Mrs Vlad likes em after all the eeeuuuwwww ing, and face pulling.

My wife pickles the eggs in our house and, it sounds bizzare and looks even stranger, but she uses the juice out of a can of beetroot, adds some extra cloves and cinnamon and leaves them in the fridge for a few weeks. They come out all purple, even into the yolk if they have been there long enough, but the beetroot juice gives an extra flavour!

I'll try post a picture!

when i was younger an asian lady next door gave me 4 green looking eggs. im ashamed to say that i didnt even try them and just chucked them out! too scared!
no longer! i have faced my demons and today made 10 pickled eggs (which i assume was what she gave me)
malt vinegar 500ml
3 star anise
4 bay leaves
touch of death rain (incredibly hot dry spice)
and a pinch of vegeta
boiled for 10 mins etc
the flavoured vinegar tasted great.. ill update down the track when the real test comes!! ^_^

Onya Vlad, you inspired me to tell the missus to "pickle me some eggs woman, here's the recipe".
Surprisingly there are now a few jars conditioning away - will be nice with my extra bitter also conditioning.

When I lived in London I used to make a meal out of pickled eggs from the local chippy and pickled chilllies from the local kebab shop all washed down with a dozen pints of Chiswick Bitter. Happy days they were.

I am going to go and make me up some of those eggs search the web for some kebab chillie recipes and relive the experience. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Vlad.

Made a batch of pickled eggs last night per Vlad's recipe

I did add 1/2 teaspoon of Hot English Mustard too

Can't wait to try them

I didn't strain out the spices - though I reckon I could have fit in another 1/2 dozen eggs in the jar

Oh well looks like I'll have to make another batch :)

I ended up using Cornwals Malt Vinegar

Does anyone know if Brown Vinegar from woolies is actually Brown Cider Vinegar or Malt Vinegar???

Cheers

i had a look at the ingredients a while ago and on the no frills vinegar they quote colours (caramel i think) and flavours so i would probably suspect its not had anything to do with any malt in its life!!!

i will just say here also that i liked my pickled eggs.. for the first week. i tried to like them honestly. they made it to the federal election night where a bunch of friends and i swore that if the libs won again we would all eat one. luckily it was cigars instead, but the eggs were chucked out that night.

they went quite hard, chalky yoke with a very acidic burn to them (not great for my wannabe ulcer). sorry guys..

might try pickled onions instead.. i quite like those ;)

Well, slack as I am, I finally got to take a picture of the beetroot pickled eggs! Creepy looking, but great tasting!

PickledEggCut1.jpg

PickledEggCut2.jpg

PickledEggJar.jpg

when i was younger an asian lady next door gave me 4 green looking eggs. im ashamed to say that i didnt even try them and just chucked them out! too scared!
no longer! i have faced my demons and today made 10 pickled eggs (which i assume was what she gave me)
malt vinegar 500ml
3 star anise
4 bay leaves
touch of death rain (incredibly hot dry spice)
and a pinch of vegeta
boiled for 10 mins etc
the flavoured vinegar tasted great.. ill update down the track when the real test comes!! ^_^

What the you asian lady gave you was a 1000 year old egg ,

Recipe here

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20011114.html

Pumpy :)

Well, slack as I am, I finally got to take a picture of the beetroot pickled eggs! Creepy looking, but great tasting!

Those look great, I'm putting them on the next menu. My/our first batch of pickled eggs just used a pack of dried pickling herbs from the Pinoy shop at Aspley. Not bad at all was the verdict from the ex-Poms, could have done with a bit more heat so I bunged a habenero in each of the remaining jars 2 weeks ago. Boxing day test party @ an Engish mates place today and they are my snack contribution (hopefully not too arse burning) :)

Here is another recipe, not quite so "vinegary" :icon_cheers:

Get a large screwtop glass jar to fit a doz eggs and the liquid.
Put all ingredients, except eggs and garlic, in saucepan and bring to boil.
Simmer 5 minutes and allow to cool a bit. Put peeled boiled eggs and garlic
in jar and pour over liquid (straining if desired). Leave in fridge 2 weeks before eating.
Pickled eggs typically have a hard white, not softish like a fresh boiled egg.
To boil the eggs, put them in cold water and bring slowly to the boil and simmer 10 minutes. Put in cold water to cool down and peel while still warm.
Ingredients:

2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 packet pickling spices (Woolies)
1/2 t celery seed (avail good delis)
3 tablespoons sugar

12 hard boiled eggs
2 cloves garlic, crushed.

Enjoy.

Back