Pic and a story

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_labb

Reaction score
Post a photo and a relevant story about something you experienced that may be interesting.

Went for a push bike ride the other day down some fire trails. On the return trip I was trying to figure out why the fallen tree across the track had such an interesting pattern. Fortunately my eyesight is good enough to make up for the slow realisation that it was a big python and I hopped the bike over the thing just in time. It was probably about 3m long and was about as thick as 2 fists balled up together.

1414500347136.jpg

austin said:
Does that happen regularly?
Seeing snakes?
This year has been particuly bad, I nearly stepped on a brown snake last week and have been close to two others this season. And that's just at work.

But normally I only see a couple a year.

Snapped this on the way home the other afternoon after a brief storm. The crappy old Nokia - through the windscreen - whilst driving pic really doesn't do the colors justice. Really quite stunning it was.
Followed it to the end, no pot of gold sadly, just some ******* unicorns frolicking in a circle. What a let down.

WP_20140825_004_zpse5626d34.jpg

Caught my toe on the heavy bag while clinching and throwing knees. No idea how I did it, but it certainly slowed me down. Ended up limping out of the gym about 15 mins later.

Took my boot off after work this morning and found this. I think the bruise looks pretty cool!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414532869.405645.jpg

StalkingWilbur said:
Caught my toe on the heavy bag while clinching and throwing knees. No idea how I did it, but it certainly slowed me down. Ended up limping out of the gym about 15 mins later.

Took my boot off after work this morning and found this. I think the bruise looks pretty cool!

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414532869.405645.jpg
Creepyness aside, your toes look similar to mine. One bit of advice I might offer is to cut back your nails as hard as you can. I caught the nail of my big toe on a guys gi on the first rotation of sparing at a grading once and tore it half off.
Luckily there was some leucoplast kicking around and I was able to tape it back in place and carry on, but was crying on the inside..**** it hurt. And bled.

Dave70 said:
, just some ******* unicorns frolicking in a circle. What a let down.

I can only assume you slayed one for dinner.... Slow roasted? Little bit of BBQ? Horn Pickled for later?

austin said:
Does that happen regularly?
This is the first time I've seen a decent python around home (suburbs of Sydney). Around here red belly black snakes are fairly common (and venemous, but pretty docile and non confrontational).

Usually something gets your attention before you are going over the top of the thing though.

Cocko said:
I can only assume you slayed one for dinner.... Slow roasted? Little bit of BBQ? Horn Pickled for later?
Sausage. They tend toward being on the tough side. Ground up the horn and sold it to the local homeopathy concern as an aphrodisiac.
Also, the Andalusian and my saber were in at the blacksmiths for a re shoeing / sharpening, which meant running them over with the hi-lux, so the meat was a little on the bruised side.

Dave70 said:
Creepyness aside, your toes look similar to mine. One bit of advice I might offer is to cut back your nails as hard as you can. I caught the nail of my big toe on a guys gi on the first rotation of sparing at a grading once and tore it half off.
Luckily there was some leucoplast kicking around and I was able to tape it back in place and carry on, but was crying on the inside..**** it hurt. And bled.
Yeah, that sounds insanely painful!

And good advice. Normally I am trimmed back pretty well, but I haven't had a sparring partner for about a month now and I haven't been to jiu jitsu in even longer, so I've gotten a bit slack. Will definitely keep on top of it.

Not too take it too far off topic, what style were/do you train?

StalkingWilbur said:
Too far off topic. This belongs in the "further off topic" sub forum. But you can leave it here until that sub forum is made

StalkingWilbur said:
Yeah, that sounds insanely painful!

And good advice. Normally I am trimmed back pretty well, but I haven't had a sparring partner for about a month now and I haven't been to jiu jitsu in even longer, so I've gotten a bit slack. Will definitely keep on top of it.

They started Goju Ryu classes a short walk from where I use to live and since the missus had just began moonlighting as a fitness instructor, I figured it may come in useful for her to know how to handle herself.
Stuck it out for a few years. She thrived and went on to take a few medals at international tournaments. I on the other hand became weary of endless kata drills and rituals. I totally respect thats a part of the 'art', but my heart just wasn't in it. Nor my clunky body. The day when one of the shorter and lighter than me instructors with a little Judo experience up ended and arm barred me pretty much tore it. All that time and sweat kicking and punching myself into a lather and here I was on my back going OW! OW! OW! dude, my ******* arm!! Lesson learnt.
Since then we've moved away, had a couple of kids and the nearest school is about three quarters of an our away, so that was pretty much that. These days its just barbells and a heavy bag.

Sorry, no pictures with the story, special appoliges for those here who would enjoy seeing me on my back getting my shoulder wretched from its socket for of topic infringements. .

Dave70 said:
I caught the nail of my big toe on a guys gi on the first rotation of sparing at a grading once and tore it half off.
You mean similar to this?

DSC_5757.JPGDSC_5784.JPGDSC_5904.JPG

One of about 15 toe accidents I had in the last 18 month, involving at least 4 broken toes. My doc reckons I should just wear steel cap boots to avoid hitting them everywhere.
The nail in the pic has fully grown back, thankfully.

No picture, sorry, use your imagination.....

sitting on the verandah of a lodge on the rim of the Grand Canyon sucking on beers with the bus driver from our tour....
through the bush and across the opening in front of the cabin darts a rather skittish looking SKUNK.......you know the kind.
closely behind at full tilt, screaming like a crazed Comanchi comes a drunken lanky Kiwi we knew as Pete.........
I pissed myself laughing.....bus driver leans over and says."If he gets sprayed he ain't getting on the bus tomorrow.'

'I nearly caught the fucker' he said later...I wish he had.

Argh, you are all piss weak,injuries? I'll show you an injury.

I took some bark of my finger today.
image.jpg
Bloody hurts.:)

Dove Lake hut, Cradle Mt Tasmania.

Better off in the early morning or at sunset armed with a tripod to get those still water / light hitting the mountainside postcard shots.
What you cant see in this shot is an, at the time, two year old son crammed into a Macpac who was just about over it. So shoot and go was the order of the day by then.
Even splitting the carrying duties up with the wife, lugging an extra 13kg of fidgeting toddler plus food and drink up and down hillsides all day can be surprisingly taxing even if your in reasonable shape.
So no summit this time.

Stunning part of the country. Go there if you haven't.

DSC_3423_zpsb9d218c3.jpg

Nice one. Haven't been down that way since out honeymoon 19 years ago. Must get back there.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415150442.522035.jpgWhen we moved in this little fairy with broken wings was in this exact spot. The old woman who lived here before us died here alone. The spiders rebuild the webs every time we take them down. Other people's memories.

2 linked stories with separate photos. This one is probably a bit long.

Last year I did a 3 month pushbike trip alone in Siberia following some very rough tracks (BAM Road and the "110" east of lake Baikal). The 110 is basically the holy grail of 4wd tracks in Russia and is very challenging due for just about every reason you could think of, mainly river crossings, mud and a section of river covered with big boulders that doubles as the the road for a while.

The only other vehicle I met aside from the rangers on the first day was a 4wd with 5 Russian guys in it. I had caught up to them and passed them the day before when they were resting and the next day they passed me. About 20 minutes after them passing me I saw this.

P7011106.JPG

Bear Tracks. The tracks were going in the same direction as me and I started to make some noise including singing (would scare anything away if you heard me). It wasn't long before I noticed that the tracks from the bear were on top of the 4wd tracks... I wasn't any more than 30 minutes behind the 4wd and the bear is somewhere between us. I decided to slow my progress down further and get louder. When I saw the 4wd had ditched their trailer in a boggy puddle I was worried. They obviously hadn't been going too quickly if they had ditched the trailer. I was getting worried as it was about 10pm and I only had about 1-2 hours before dark. I didn't feel very comfortable cooking the much needed dinner so close to a bear and felt very uncomfortable sleeping in a tent afterwards even if I did cook away from the tent.

I've been woken by a bear in Romania while trying to sleep in a tent and it was pretty terrifying and led to basically no sleep and a lot of stress. I didn't want a repeat and Siberian bears are much bigger and potentially more aggressive.

While Collecting water from a river I was looking at the collapsing bridge next to me. The 110 (or zimnik 110)was built during a warm winter in the mid 70's. Lake Baikal wasn't frozen solid enough for the trucks to drive on to transport materials for the construction of the BAM railway. They built this track as a link to the railway. The track has been decaying since the late 70's. This bridge next to me was from then and was built for the trucks to supply the railway. The issue with it was 4m in the air and the ramps on and off were gone. The Steel frame was still intact and some of the sleepers for the roadway were still in place but very soft. Unfortunately the ramp on and off had all but disappeared.

Instead of complaining about another river crossing I saw an opportunity. I threw my bags up on to the top of the remaining platform of the bridge and climbed up the steel frame. Once up there I pitched my tent including driving the pegs into the rotting timber. I cooked dinner hoping to draw the bear closer with the smell of the food so I could get a close look at him. I slept great.

P7021114.JPG

I met and passed the guys on the 4wd again on the track the next day when they were stuck in a bog. They passed me when the track improved the next day on the way to a town. We had a few beers in the town as we were staying at the same place. I kept going as they had a lot of things to deal with - their 4wd was fucked every way possible including a seriously warped chasis. They gave me a carved bear from Chariaite, a semiprecious stone only found near a town of Chara where they were going. They had "mined" the stone themselves and one of them had carved it before giving it to me. Probably one of my favorite sentimental possessions.

I had a chance meeting again with the guys a couple weeks later, but that's another story.

Great story black_labb, shame the photos aren't working :(

Latest posts

Back