Bottle Bomb Story

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Well I'm proud to say I have earn't my wings today. I have had my first bottle bombs and only on my 2nd batch :p .

I enjoy reading about others disasters so heres the story...

Into: I spend half my year at CSU Wagga Wagga on campus doing BA Multimedia, TV Production. I live in a cottage with 7 other people.

Thursday 9th - I enter the cottage after my last class of the week my friend who lives in the room next to me says "hey mate, theres a weird smell in your room". Now let me say that this is not uncommon at uni or in our cottage. I enter the room and smell a definite off smell, almost citrus like and its not the first time I've smelt it. My brain reacts and computes the info.....you havent emptied your bin you goose, those banana skins and apple cores smell bad after a while mate, I think to myself. I smell the bin and it does smell off. I empty the bin and think nothing of it or the 60L of conditioning beer I have in the cupboard in a tower of milk crates which
Would challenge any architectural skyscraper.

Friday 10th - My girlfriend and I leave town for a night together to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. I toast the night with a longneck of my 1st ever homebrew. Which tastes a teat might I add B), even the missus likes it, which is saying something. (Picture to follow)

Saturday 11th - I return home around midday, have a browse on the BA and AHB websites. Im minding my business listening to some Powderfinger....THUMP..... :blink:......whats that dickhead up to know I think to myself.

Monday 13th, 1:00pm - I return today from the studio, again minding my business again, minus the headphones and powderfinger......BOOOP!!!......WTF? :huh:. "Mother of god" I say aloud. I approach the cupboard but need not open it as my fears are perfectly confirmed by the cascade-like trickle I can hear behind the wooden doors. As I open the door I am presented with a yellow rivulet of partial mash wheat beer, insuming the bottom surface of my cupboard..........Proceed to DEFCON 1! I reach for my trusty yellow bucket, grab the cardboard box containing my sterilizing materials and Im off like a rocket to the sink. Mix up the solution, sterilise the caps. I even thew on one of my Fox mountain bike gloves and some glasses just in case a bottle felt the need to release 150g of glass into my hands and eyes. I opened all the bottles and as I assumed, some gushed over the rim for several minutes. I put those aside. The main thing I noticed which should be noted by all who are interested is that of all 3 of the bottles which exploded (all bottles were 375ml)....all of them were Carlton Sterling bottles. Upon further inspection I was shocked at how thin and poorly constructed they were. Not only were they thin, they were unevenly moulded. The front side of the bottle was 3mm thick while the side which blew out on 2/3 of the bottles, the rear was only 1mm thick. Last time I use my dads old bottles.

Lost: 3
Saved: 50
Gushed (only good for a day): 9

Determined to not loose any more beer, needless to say I have had a very moist Monday lunch time.

Im Blake and that was my story,

And here is that picture I promised. My first homebrew ever (Coopers heritage lager), thanks to everyone on this site for their help. I cant believe I made such a great tasting beer.

blakefirsthomebrew7li.jpg

P.S: I still have no idea why they were exploding, fementation was finnished and I put 1 carbonisation drop per 375ml bottle (as per instructions).

Good story, Blake!

But how did you get it to "taste a teat"/ :p

Finite said:
Friday 10th - My girlfriend and I leave town for a night together to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. I toast the night with a longneck of my 1st ever homebrew. Which tastes a teat might I add

Up until January I had never had a bomb, and I've been brewing since the early 80's. But it came time to move house and I found an old brew hidden away in the shed. I remembered these as some disgusting smoked ale I did about four years ago, and since I've graduated to kegs, I just thought I'd whack 'em in the trailer for a trip to the tip.

After the bottles had been sitting in the QLD sun for about an hour, they were obviously re-awakened and did they go off! I had the tops of the (heavy crown seal) bottles launching about 25 feet into the air. Pretty scary, felt like a bomb disposal expert sneaking up with my overalls and safety glasses, bottle opener in hand to relieve the pressure! :blink: :blink:

Cheers
Peter

Finite said:
I even thew on one of my Fox mountain bike gloves and some glasses just in case a bottle felt the need to release 150g of glass into my hands and eyes.
[post="114156"][/post]​

Saved 50!! Nice work... and you got the trusty mountain bike gloves out for protection! I must remember that if i am ever in the same boat, mountain biking and homebrewing are my two obsessions, nothing better than knocking back a few homebrews after a hard days riding. :chug:

I am a MTB'er and a roadie as well. Glad yousaved so many beers. I would of nigh on been cryin'. Hopefully no more bottle bombs.

What was your OG and FG on the batch? What sort of bottles were the gushers, and are you sure they cleaned and sanitised properly? All basic questions but worth asking.

Glad to hear you had the sense to put some safety gear of sorts on before approaching the batch.

Finite said:
Friday 10th - My girlfriend and I leave town for a night together to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. I toast the night with a longneck of my 1st ever homebrew. Which tastes a teat might I add B), even the missus likes it, which is saying something. (Picture to follow)

Damn, I was hopping for a picture of the missus :)

OG was 1051
FG was 1010

The gushers were mainly the sterling bottles and some samuel adams bottles. I was pretty damn sure i cleaned them all properly.

Have to admit that i thought there was a pic of the missus coming as well.

Finite said:
P.S: I still have no idea why they were exploding, fementation was finnished and I put 1 carbonisation drop per 375ml bottle (as per instructions).
[post="114156"][/post]​

Great story!

I thought you put one drop in for a longneck, and half in for a stubby.

Thats also a very dark looking Coopers Heritage Lager?? :blink: what else did you put in it?
Cheers
Steve

Steve said:
Thats also a very dark looking Coopers Heritage Lager?? :blink: what else did you put in it?
Cheers
Steve
[post="114438"][/post]​

all the reviews ive read do say that its a very dark kit. Its just the kit + 1kg DLME

As long as it tastes good eh!....the couple ive done are really pale yellow straw coloured? No worries.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back