Photo Tutorial - Removal Of 50l Keg Spears

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Hi,
Well I had occasion to have to remove the spear from a CUB style keg today, and since this can be a slightly frustrating process, I thought I would take some pics to help others out. Please note that I said CUB style keg, not an actual CUB keg. This particular one is a generic un-named keg from Europe. I do not condone theft or conversion of brewery owned kegs, it's a crime, and there are legal ways to obtain kegs even if they are few and far between. The breweries DO prosecute those they find in possession of stolen kegs.
You will need;
A ball point hammer or other similar thing to depress the outlet ball.
A supermarket shopping bag or rag etc.
A large pair of pliers.

1.jpg

Lets start with the untouched keg. Most likely the keg will still be under pressure from what was previously in it. This pressure will at best make a mess when you try to release it, or at worst can be hazardous sending beer/dust and crap everywhere. Wear some goggles just to be on the safe side. :)

2.jpg

What you will need is a largish ball point hammer to depress the ball in the middle of the coupler connection to release the pressure. This will obviously expel gas, but it will most likely expel stale beer as well, this is where the plastic bag comes in.

3.jpg

Take the hammer, and place the ball end on the ball in the coupler.
Cover the hammer and the entire keg outlet with the plastic bag.
Slowly depress hammer to depress the ball. You should hear gas being expelled, probably quickly followed by beer. DON'T PRESS TOO HARD TO BEGIN WITH. There may be quite a bit of pressure in the keg, you don;t want to let it all out at once, you want to do it carefully and slowly so you don't make too much mess.

4.jpg

OK, now the pressure is off, you can look at removing the spear. You will notice a small sir-clip just inside the rim of the coupler. One end of the sirclip will be angled one way, and the other will be angled the other way, Take a sharp object and gently lever the end between the wall of the inlet and the sirclip to get the end away from the edge, out of the holding slot and up.

5.jpg

6.jpg

You can then gently lever the rest of the sirclip out, but take care as this is spring steel, and may pop out as you get over halfway out. Put this to one side. If you are putting this back together (ie, just taking apart for cleaning) you WILL need it.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Now the spear is held in place by some lugs inside the neck of the keg, it will need to be turned clockwise as you look it from above. Spread the jaws of your pliers out, till they sit behind the lugs of the spear, and turn clockwise. This may be a little difficult to turn, and can be assisted by a couple of light taps with the hammer on the pliers and not the coupler lugs themselves. You damage the lugs, and the coupler may not fit/seal properly when you've put it back together. Remember that this is not a brute force thing, if it has to be forced, something is not right.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The entire spear assembly will turn roughly 180 degrees, and can then be lifted out.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And you can get in there and clean it or do whatever you needed to do that required the removal of the spear. :D

Hope this helps!!

11.jpg

12.jpg

The entire spear assembly will turn roughly 180 degrees, and can then be lifted out.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And you can get in there and clean it or do whatever you needed to do that required the removal of the spear. :D

Hope this helps!!

Wish I saw your post 10 years ago.

cheers

Darren

Nothing illegal going on here Pumpy. This keg was legally purchased from a local brewery owner. I'n not that kind of bloke :)

i know a better way.

get a tookeys keg and do it in 3 seconds with a pair of pliers.

push down, grip, twist, release and unscrew.

too easy.

good idea for those out there wanting to do this.

good work.

cheers

Nothing illegal going on here Pumpy. This keg was legally purchased from a local brewery owner. I'n not that kind of bloke :)

I know I just jealous I cant lift a fifty litre full ally keg into the fridge any more ;)

Pumpy :)

lol Pumpy, me neither. I think we both need walk in chillers....:)

They are good instructions and well worth taking note off i know i have.

It took me a while to find these instructions with pics to see how it is done..

Well done domonsura and keep up the good work

A1+

Great walkthrough but I'd like to emphasise one point... even if you think you've depressurised your keg, don't lean over it while unscrewing. A spear between the eyes wouldn't be fun.

Another trick...

Instead of covering the fitting to avoid a beer shower...

Tip the keg on its side and depress the seal - this will (if the keg's empty) tilt the end of the spear out of the liquid, so all you get out is gas.

Significantly less messy Dom!

Andy

You bloody legend Andy!! Lateral thinking what......and yes ABSOLUTELY kai, I agree, no lean over spear just in case....

Another quick note regarding working with circlips and other spring steel parts: Be careful with them and try to work in an environment where you can find them if you do happen to accidently lose control of one.

They don't call them Jeesus Clips in industry for nothing: When they escape it's a case of "Jeesus! Where did that go"
:lol:

Thanks domonsura.

I've been toying with the idea of perhaps converting one of these into a kettle. I'm currently using a 35L SS pot, which is barely large enough for a full boil, but I have to be really vigilant to prevent boilovers.

Can anyone shed some light on where I might be able to source one of these beasts legally? And, it this option actually cheaper than buying a 50L commercial kitchen pot?

Thanks,
Michael.

Andy's tip #2:

Before removing the Jusus Clips, drill a small (2mm) hole in each end of the clip, and use circlip pliers to remove the clip in a controlled fashion...

Andy

thats a great tutorial .i was going to write more but then i deleted it > dont want to rave on :D

del

Difficult to convert a keg into a kettle with the spear still in it.........:)

spear shmear...i did mine with it still in, you just release the pressure first, then cut the top off.

That is unless you want to use the keg for kegging beer of course.

Back