Ph 5.2 Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All jokes aside anyone who sells this,will supply you with a MSDS when you purchase it.This will tell you exactly whats in it and how safe (your disicion) it is in your beer.This is law !Anything you buy like sanitizers,cleaners,any chemical will have one of these available.Believe me I know a bit about this,it and excellent way to meet people at Bunnings as well.Next time you purchase a glue or something at Bunnings ask for the MSDS to go with the product,you will meet all sorts of managers etc,but you will have it before you leave.
Batz
Batz
Good point. So who has seen a Materials Safety Data Sheet ? If so what the stuff made of.Sugar and spice and all things nice :lol: I am sure its safe and Australian approved product but I would like to be sure.
GB

Batz
Good point. So who has seen a Materials Safety Data Sheet ? If so what the stuff made of.Sugar and spice and all things nice :lol: I am sure its safe and Australian approved product but I would like to be sure.
GB

Its on their site which is currently down.

Its on their site which is currently down.

There ya go!
As I said they are avaliable,some places make it easy to access as it should be :beerbang:

Batz

I notice is states:
Ingestion-May cause LD 50 (rats) =7100 g/Kg What tha.

nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain

No problem,been going since we started brewing :D

Batz

vomit.jpg

Batz you always come up with humorous pictures to express your opinions. I love that!

Thanks guys!

I will play with both 5.2 and salts as I have them all at home. I'll be brewing a couple of summer ales to the same grain bill using kolsch yeast soon, so they should showcase the difference, hopefully.

You could also use some Weyermann acidulated malt in your grain bill.

I agree, in most cases this will work. However, for his water, the acidulated malt will get the pH in range, but I don't think it will provide the calcium that will help the mash enzymes. They'll still work, they'll just take far longer. (One of the reasons for the long mash times for Pilsner Urquell as their water is very low in calcium as well.)

I basically agree, Batz. Other than the mash (and occasionally a bit of gypsum in the boil for hoppy beers) I don't add anything to the beer. Those chemicals could easily be in my water if I lived somewhere else. At least that's my justification to myself. :rolleyes:

mfdes, interesting to hear how the different options work out for you. Report back if you remember. :)

Back