Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy

Reaction score
can you? cause i certainly can't.

Not with my quaffers that are drunk before they're 10 weeks old anyway. i could imagine that you might taste something if the beer was in the bottle for like, 6 months or more?

I don't think you would taste the plastic from PET bottles even if beer was in there for a year. Loss of carbonation may be a problem though.

I have some beer in PET bottles and it's still OK at 6 months.

Ex Tannum Sands and QAL

Nah, I don't taste much difference between PET and glass.
but there is just something about opening glass over plastic, it just feels right.

I love all the glass purists who ferment in PET. :p

The big advantage of PET bottles is you can tell when the beer has carbed up.

I use the Coopers brown PET mostly and cannot detect any taste at all.

Glass is far more reliable for longer term storage. Even the 750ml 'purpose made' PETs can fail now and again. I bottle Aussie Ales and Darks in Coopers Sparkling tallies for appearance, and lagers in 660m Bavaria for appearance and long term maturation. However PET is just so convenient to store, carry, etc. For my quaffing beers I still use a fair few 2L PETs and find that a 24L brew can fill a carton of 750s and a carton (six) of my 2L ALDI so perfect outcome.

I don't think you would taste the plastic from PET bottles even if beer was in there for a year. Loss of carbonation may be a problem though.

I have some beer in PET bottles and it's still OK at 6 months.

Ex Tannum Sands and QAL

Tannum Sands and full time at Comalco. Tassie's a bit of a change??

But yeah, there great for camping and fishing. thats how got using them.
i was trying to hold a glass tallie between my legs while i threw a crab pot over the side of the boat. me mate however, just screwed the top back on his PET and threw his beer in the bottom of the boat.
and they dont smash in the box while blasting up a corrugated road...

from here forth, i stand converted

Fox

I'm a glass purist, so to speak, and I ferment in PET. For me it's about the appearence, and the pfffssssh when you slip the crown off. :) If I was going to serve straight from the fermenter, obviously I'd get a glass one. :D

Rationally, PET is a fine idea - being able to tell when the beer's carbed, no broken glass risks (due to bombs, or accidents). But they just don't look right....

T.

Who ferments in PET? I thought plastic fermenters were HDPE (all of mine are). I tink you'll find that HDPE let's through less oxygen that PET (but more than glass).

When I brewed in my former life about 25 years ago PET was unheard of, and in fact I was completely unaware that PET 740s were available until I got back in last year. It makes perfect sense for most K n K brewers however because, compared to 25 years ago, tallie glass bottles are a dying breed. Also of course the glass bottles have nearly all gone to twist top that makes them less attractive to the home brewer than the traditional crown seals (e.g. Coopers)

As well as less beer being sold in tallies, there is also the 'recycle' factor. Until household recycle bins became normal, if you accumulated a box of 12 tallies you could take it to the local glass recycling guy and get a couple of dollars back and conversely if you needed a few dozen for HB you bought them off the guy, or from the local scouts wherever.

750 / 740 PETs just had to be invented otherwise there would be a huge 'bottleneck' - no pun intended - of suitable bottles for our craft and obviously Coopers and the rest realised that something had to be done quickly to solve the problem. Also I suppose it sells heaps more 'brewery in a box' outfits because the potential purchaser doesn't have the disincentive of rooting around to accumulate and clean 30 tallies before they can get started.

Who ferments in PET? I thought plastic fermenters were HDPE (all of mine are). I tink you'll find that HDPE let's through less oxygen that PET (but more than glass).

Both types of polyethylene.

I use both, i like both but i guess glass feels nicer, looks more professional but is more of a pain in the arse to use.
Screwtop pets dont crack shatter or blow up, they are lighter to lug around full or empty and particularly empty and imho are a bit easier to clean as you don't need to be gentle with them when handling them wet....
On the flipside they don't like boiling hot water.

Both types of polyethylene.

Polyethylene, as the name suggests, consists of long chains of carbon atoms and hydrogen atoms which can be polymerised from ethylene and has repeating chains of CH2 elements. PET or Polyethylene terephtalate has repeating elements of C10H8O4. Different beastie.

The 'polyethylene' part of the name doesn't mean they are really 'different versions' of polyethylene itself any more than maltodextrin is a type of malt. Or that Calcium Sulphate is just a 'different' form of Calcium Chloride.

I cry for the loss of glass tallies. I have over 60 of them and will have to horde a few away, but then if its dying then bottle caps are next? :)

I'm pretty good with my reduce, reuse, recycle.

I use envelopes of mail I receive instead of buying notepads when I need to write things down only temporarily.

All the plastic bags from the supermarket I save. They become my kitchen rubbish bin bags and I also take all my lunches to work in them as well to give them another purpose in life before they end up in the bin.

And best of all. NO, I'm not a stupid consumer that buys bottled water. Not only is it a shit marketing rip off but tests in the states have shown all sorts of microbes and nasties growing in bottle water over there. And why have more plastic exposure to put into your body when you consume liquid sitting around god knows how long. Everyone knows bottled water comes from the tap of a warehouse in the industrial section of the cities, slapped with a sticker with a mountain on it and called Spring Water or other names for the stupid consumer mentality.

Come to think of it I don't buy much else in plastic bottles. No juices, no drinks of any sort. With one exception. Milk, Canberra Milk only comes in plastic and it tastes better and wins awards and unlike PURA its not adulterated with up to 9% of pour back of other crap back into the milk and allowed to be sold as 100% pure :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I have about 100 crown seal tallies... and maybe 50 or PET's. Of course plastic is much more convenient at bottling stage and easy to check carbonation levels. But there is something special about pulling a cap off glass :)

Speaking of shopping bags, Aldi now sell biodegradable bags made from cornstarch. Along with this there are also many other bio-bag products available.

http://www.goinggreensolutions.com.au/products.aspx?ID=7

Speaking of shopping bags, Aldi now sell biodegradable bags made from cornstarch. Along with this there are also many other bio-bag products available.

Yeah, I know one of the chemists who helped develop the material. So, when are we going to see biodegradable carbonated softdrink bottles? I can see what'll happen once we put homebrew in them: "Mate, you'd better help me drink these up - they'll disintigrate in a week or two...."

T.

Back