Perth Report: Too Much Salt Found In Tap Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not surprising from the amount of water taking from the gnangarra mound.....

I'm surprised THe south west region isn't mentioned. considering the salt content in wellington dam.....

Also it does show the effect of clearing deep rooted tree's from the area that keep the salt down.

I love how the list includes 'organic matter' as one of the 'dissolved solids'

No guessing what that means...

I love how the list includes 'organic matter' as one of the 'dissolved solids'

No guessing what that means...

either

dead animals
plants
and yes organic solids such as faeces

Gero water report from the water corp, 250ppm of Sodium and 440ppm of Sulphate. Not good for making many types of beer on its own :(
Time to instal a rain water tank :rolleyes:

Gero water report from the water corp, 250ppm of Sodium and 440ppm of Sulphate. Not good for making many types of beer on its own :(
Time to instal a rain water tank :rolleyes:

I live in Geraldton and make an identical K&K brew to my mate in Collie, we both use fermenting fridges, both carbonate the same way, use the same brand products and yet the two beers taste very different. Could water quality/dissolved salts be the issue?

I have a rainwater tank but have never used it for brewing because I thought that beer needed some salts to sustain yeast. Should I be using the rainwater? Would I need to add any salts or trace elements to it?

Drew, I gather you use the Gero water. Do you encounter any problems from it? Slow or stuck fermentation?

I live in Geraldton and make an identical K&K brew to my mate in Collie, we both use fermenting fridges, both carbonate the same way, use the same brand products and yet the two beers taste very different. Could water quality/dissolved salts be the issue?

I have a rainwater tank but have never used it for brewing because I thought that beer needed some salts to sustain yeast. Should I be using the rainwater? Would I need to add any salts or trace elements to it?

Drew, I gather you use the Gero water. Do you encounter any problems from it? Slow or stuck fermentation?

You would need to boil the water first though to sanitise it or install a really good charcoal filter on it. Although boiling is the preferred option.

I would ring round and try see if you can get a sample of your water analysed to see its salt levels.

that way you can see what you would need to add to get the brews you want.

As said toadskin, to use Rain Water for K&K you will need to boil it first. Using it in All Grain it gets boiled anyway so I never bother pre-boiling it. If you did boil and use rain water or go to RO water, I would start with 1g each of Gypsum, Salt and Chalk per 10L of water for an all round water profile.

I have PMed you the vitals from the report

I am wondering when the hill at Yokine became "Mount Yokine"

Check out ebay for some reverse osmosis plants. I picked up one that does de mineralised water for $135 delivered.

As said toadskin, to use Rain Water for K&K you will need to boil it first. Using it in All Grain it gets boiled anyway so I never bother pre-boiling it. If you did boil and use rain water or go to RO water, I would start with 1g each of Gypsum, Salt and Chalk per 10L of water for an all round water profile.

I have PMed you the vitals from the report

There's a million different experiences and theories on water chemistry so I'm not going to pretend that I'm exclusively right. However to my mind, for a KK brew, a lot of the mash and boil chemistry has been done for you. Some good clean water and at most some good yeast nutrient should see a KK brewer right. For AG, pure/filtered water with some calcium and chloride/sulphate in the profile should be enough. Sodium isn't something I see as having any major benefit (many brewers use table salt to round flavour profile so this is just my experience/opinion) and carbonates are generally recommended only for dark beers, if at all (I don't use them or like them). Things like magnesium I see as a straw man. No effect in small amounts, negative effect in larger amounts.

For KK and I mean KK only, I would filter the water in a way that drops out chlorine, carbonates, sodium and faeces and simply brew with that. If you find your ferments struggle then possibly think about adding calcium chloride and/or calcium sulphate but the manufacture of the tin should have already taken that into account.

Latest posts

Back