Perth Brewday > Sunday 20th April 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rob and Sarah for putting on a great show. It was great to put some faces to names and I sampled some truly outstanding beer.

Just what was going on as I left? The stuck sparge was entertainment enough, but the stuck no-chill was new to me.

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Guys,

first of all i am really sorry that i couldn't manage a trifactor with a boil over as well, this was out of my control as doogie was looking after that side of things.

now for some pics, i only took a few on my camera at the start of the day before everone rocked up and i got distracted.

I'm sure there are a few shots of the flawless sparge action going on somewhere?

1_mash_tun.jpg

Inside Mash Tun

2_mash_tun.jpg

Magic Welds

3_insulated_mash_tun.jpg

Insulated

4_the_rig.jpg

Halfluck Rig Mark 3

5_grain.jpg

Grain

6_doughin.jpg

Doughing In.

7_mash.jpg

Mash

8_covered.jpg

Covered Up.

9_keg.jpg

Makeshift Keg Fridge

10_keg_taps.jpg

Randal and his friend Dirty.

11_the__gang_1.jpg

Some Ppl.

12_Brendan.jpg

Some Other Ppl.

13_doogie.jpg

Slightly Out of focus Doogie

14_gmk_caramalising_wort.jpg

No Comment.

15_cupid_himself.jpg

Cupid himself

16_thick_mash.jpg

and a 1:1 mash, No guesses who's idea that was.

============

Lost / Found:

Schooner Glass

Tupperware / Serving Dish

Ian i also have your Pickle Jar but it is empty so u can have it back at the next WCB gig.

====

Cheers Rob.

Wish I could have been there to meet Kenny and catch up with you mob. Missus was away so kind of got stuck with the kids. Nice looking set up Rob.

DB

Well back in Adl Today....

Had a great time at the Brew Day - many thanks to Rob & Sarah as the hosts.
Hope we can arrange one for you guys one day when you get to Adelaide.

You have a great, friendly & knowledgable bunch over there.
Was great to catch up and put faces to names. How Good was Rob - not only did he put on a stuck sparge and what you need to do to fix it - but then as an encore put on a stuck kettle and what you need to do to fix it..
Great Lessons there Rob :) pity we forgot to take photos....

All the beers on Hand including tasting Rob's Randelised IPA was great. The food was fantastic - for once Kai did not need to bring the cheese as alot of us did.

I got there at 11.00am and left at 8.20pm....Great hospitality.

Will find some pics and post when i get them avilable.

Thanks everyone for a lovely day, it''s great to be able to associate with such an eclectic and passionate bunch of humans! Plus, unlike my mates, noone seems to get tired of talking about beer :D Double thanks to Sarah, your hospitality was sensational.

Hope you had a good one Ken, if I'm ever passing through i'll be sure to stop by to sample a few of your barleywines and pass out in your caravan ;)

Thanks everyone for a lovely day, it''s great to be able to associate with such an eclectic and passionate bunch of humans! Plus, unlike my mates, noone seems to get tired of talking about beer :D Double thanks to Sarah, your hospitality was sensational.

Hope you had a good one Ken, if I'm ever passing through i'll be sure to stop by to sample a few of your barleywines and pass out in your caravan ;)

No worries - you are your lovely girlfriend will be most welcome - then we can sit in the bar talk beer and drink beer, while they stay in the house and do those girlie things... cook bar snakcks etc...

Gee - I hope Mrs Kenny doesn't read this.

hahahah :)

Was a great day, good to see you kenny and thanks rob and sarah for your excellent hospitality. And of course, it's always good to catch up with the other Perthites over a beer or two... the 2002 chimay blue was definitely a standout, the hahn millennium ale surprisingly good and I think rob's dirty ipa may have been responsible for me waking up on my couch at 2 in the morning.

A few quick photos, since everyone's doing it:

kencaramel.jpg
The Grand Master demonstrates how to caramelise wort for a TTLPA style beer. Perhaps the most photographed event of the day; everyone's reflexes were to dulled to snap vlad falling over.

paddle.jpg
We've all seen plenty of "cylindrical SS vessels" in home breweries, this is the first time I've seen a cylindrical SS mash paddle, much to my personal amusement. A few witnesses may attest to my tendency to keep touching it over the course of the evening.

robgloves.jpg
Not really sure what to say about this one.

nochill.jpg
The "no chill" method in action because rob has too many beers fermenting. Or not enough fermentation space.

funnel.jpg
A stuck kettle follows the stuck sparge so mika and rob employ the no-chill funnel method. This is my kinda brewday; beer and wort all over the place, multiple brews being crafted at once with deceptive ease, good times, good beer and lubricated enthusiasm triumphing over adversity :party: Cheers!

Well after well known trial and tribulation on the brewday,
i bring you the finished product:

robust_porter.jpg

a very tasty beer indeed, i've been getting in the habbit of pouring one and going and doing something else for 1/2 an hour until she warms up
then enjoying. perfect drink in this kind of weater

Cheers Rob.

That looks mighty fine.

As a thankyou for your great hospitality in opening your house up for the brewday - and because my wife and i had so much fun...Posted today (as luck would have it) is a small thank you gift - consisting of;

~GMK Handturned wooden SA Blue gum magnetic bottle opener
~3x laminated AUssiehomebrewer stickers to stick on the drip tray just under the taps so that you can right the beer, hops, OG, FG, Style, alcohol %, notes, yeast etc on them to show what is in each tap.
~Permanent blue whiteboard marker for writing on the laminated stickers - washes off with metho.

Hope you like them.

I hope to see a pic of it all set up when done :)

Kerryl - aka Mrs Kenny - says hi to Sarah.....

Back