Perlick 545SS Stainless Steel Flow Control Taps - Problems & Solut

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camo6 said:
Awesome! Now can I have your old ones?
Haha! Well I am thinking of going 4 tap, two with flow control and two without! Selfish, I know ;-)

I haven't really followed this thread but I also have found problems with the flow control action.. It is quite stiff and almost feels like it's grinding when I try to turn the flow control lever...

I'll have a read through later when I get a chance.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Haha! Well I am thinking of going 4 tap, two with flow control and two without! Selfish, I know ;-)
Do it! Two is never enough (even though I struggle to keep one flowing). That's fair decent of them not to request the faulty ones back first before replacing. Kudos to Perlick.

From the limited info about the problem I got they said it's machine burrs inside. So when I get the time I may open them up completely and have a feel to see if it can be repaired. Otherwise they still pour beer fine just best not to operate the flow control lever.

Yes the theory of 4 taps sounds good but your right, in practice must be tough!!!!

Btw I thought you had 4 perlicks camo? ;-)

Alas only the PC version. Nothing wrong with the finish on them though. I do find they tend to 'funnel' on first use but a quick on off action gets them pouring a solid stream again. Does anyone else find this from any of the Perlick range?

By funnel do you mean pour through sling one half of the tap outlet wall? If so mine do it if you have dialled the flow control back a bit. Not sure about the 650ss yet though

Tunnel is probably a better explanation. Like the barrel of a wave - hollow on the inside. Closing and reopening usually solves problem.

Hmm nah haven't noticed that. Have you taken them apart and soaked/cleaned all seals, lubed and assembled? Sounds like the front o ring is pinched cos it sticks to the ball and when you open the ball drags the oring with it slightly?

I just got 3x 545SS and the flow control levers are epically stiff and hard to operate.

Did you email perlick directly, or talk to your Aus supplier?

Emailed Perlick directly through their US tech support enquiry site. It only took so long as they waited for the release of the 650ss to replace them with.

I'd advise to talk to your supplier first though, as I bought mine in a Bulk Buy so the circumstances were a little different. If you bought them straight out as a single purchase from an Aus. supplier, I'd say return to them to discuss, would probably be less hassle.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
If you bought them straight out as a single purchase from an Aus. supplier, I'd say return to them to discuss, would probably be less hassle.
Bet your on the money there. :beerbang:
Batz

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Hmm nah haven't noticed that. Have you taken them apart and soaked/cleaned all seals, lubed and assembled? Sounds like the front o ring is pinched cos it sticks to the ball and when you open the ball drags the oring with it slightly?
Cheers Nathan that's probably what they need. And it aah, wouldn't be the first time they've aah, been pulled apart and cleaned. (Looks away sheepishly)

650ss compared to my 545ss is the flow control lever works as intended and smoothly with normal force. They are also a bit shorter on the spout, the flow control lever cap is slotted not knurled and the perlick P is the new style. Otherwise they are similar.

Djl3thal, do you have the photo? I am interested in why the 650ss isnt availablein australia yet, im planning a keezer build and am looking to buy them, might have to buy them from o/s.

Cheers,

Lobo

i have this tap and had a hell of a time with pouring issues after trying everything i could think of i ended up removing the flow control and ever since it pours perfectly... lesson learnt there i will never buy another flow control tap

I have two newly installed. I first did a clean and light grease which freed up the levers. the flow control levers work easy after a keg through each. just checked on my last pour.Interestingly, they come box-less. Then I recently made another order of different items which were packed in a 525SS labelled box.

650ss is on the left

1406035404683.jpg

Back