Perlick 545SS Stainless Steel Flow Control Taps - Problems & Solut

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beerisyummy said:
Yep. It does the same thing on both.
It only does it with the control lever pointing backwards and the caps definitely aren't fouling it.

I'll have another play with the taps later and suss things out.
Hmm mine aren't live yet so ill turn mine around and see if any easier to operate to see if perhaps they are not designed to be turned backwards!

I couldn't tell a difference with the flow lever orientation either way around.

I also pulled out the thicker o-ring inside the tap body past the flow control lever's two smaller o-rings. That being lubed up made an even bigger difference and they now glide very easily and smooth.

Sorry for not getting back on this. I'll need to check later in the week as work getting in the way of beer.

Now without having a go at anyone, I bought both of mine from Cheeky Peak. The service was quick and I have not contacted them about any issues. I'm a happy customer who would use them again at this stage.
Notes:
- One of the taps was slightly damaged on the front of the outlet. How fine a grit do I need to get the polish back after dressing? This could be useful for anyone who drops a tap in the future and is a big advantage over the CP tap.
- The taps that I ordered had the long stainless shank fitted and one of them had a defect in the star pattern where the tap and shank meet. I managed to get things working in the end. The Perlick stainless cut the shank without much wear on the perlick side of things.

I'll need to check the movement thing, but I'm pretty sure you can move the FC to both positions while there is no pressure in the lines. Once the taps are loaded there is only one choice available. I'll need to check this of course.

Very happy with my 545PC's. Have been for several years now. ;)

Batz

Batz said:
Very happy with my 545PC's. Have been for several years now. ;)

Batz
I wasn't having a go at the 545PCs. I just happened to come into the tap market while the SS version was coming into play.
Would you pick the SS over PC if it was available?

My comment about the SS version relates to the ability to repair the SS without the problems of replating.

Beerisyummy said:
I wasn't having a go at the 545PCs. I just happened to come into the tap market while the SS version was coming into play.

My comment about the SS version relates to the ability to repair the SS without the problems of replating.
I know you weren't, just saying I'm still happy with my 545PC's.

Nothing more than that.

Then at least answer the question Batz.

TBH, I nearly bought the plated versions, but I only needed a couple so the cost difference was easy absorb.

Beerisyummy said:
Then at least answer the question Batz.

TBH, I nearly bought the plated versions, but I only needed a couple so the cost difference was easy absorb.
No, I have had a lot of taps over my 25 years of kegging, I don't believe stainless make a scrap of difference. Yes I have had both over the years.

But hey all too there own, we really do all brew and serve our beers to our own liking.

Batz

Fair play mate. Thanks for the input from several years of experience with different taps.

I'm amazed at how much restriction you can place on a highly carbed beer with the perlicks. They work better than I expected.

Have you ever had to fix any scuffs on taps over the years? It's poor handling of the taps, I know, but do you have any advice in this regard?

Mr Wibble said:
The problem is with your drinking hardware - it's probably too big.
Try using a smaller tasting glass.
Worst piece of advice I've seen given on this site.

StalkingWilbur said:
Worst piece of advice I've seen given on this site.
And right now I'm wishing I took a photo of the pluto gun in action on Australia day. Think no drinking hardware at all. Just a bunch of 20 somethings in bikinis getting their fill by mouth courtesy of the boat's captain.
A mate built a couch that fit two kegs and ice just for the occasion. Funny stuff.

IMHO. You need a decent size glass appropriate for the style, or nothing at all.
I am yet to do the Oral B ad trick with the new taps, although I'd imagine the flow control would come in handy.
I have been using the double glazed pyrex tea cups for samples. Really good for keeping a small serve cold.

Interesting that leaving my taps for a few days now the flow control is very tight to move again even with the lube. I use the Lubri-FIlm Plus, but a bit of searching does not show whether this is suitable for moving parts... is the Paraliq stuff from craft brewer much better over time and on moving parts (ie. would keep flow control running smooth without needing to re-apply every few days)?

Having to keep taps lubed to get free movement doesn't sound right to me - sounds like a band-aid fix to a manufacturing tolerance problem? Maybe they will free up over time once they wear in a bit? As has been mentioned this isn't an issue with the PC's, I've never lubed mine, they've had really nice action from the day I installed them. I'd assume the SS versions 'should' theoretically be the same?

Hmm, im waiting on my original enquiry to Perlick so perhaps they will elaborate for us if they reply...

Frothie said:
Having to keep taps lubed to get free movement doesn't sound right to me - sounds like a band-aid fix to a manufacturing tolerance problem? Maybe they will free up over time once they wear in a bit? As has been mentioned this isn't an issue with the PC's, I've never lubed mine, they've had really nice action from the day I installed them. I'd assume the SS versions 'should' theoretically be the same?
So, I finally got around to testing the taps again. The slight catch on the flow control is real if it's reversed. I don't notice it when the tap is connected and there's pressure in the line.
It's also possible that the tester became intoxicated during the test and the results are flawed.

I agree with Frothie about the taps being good to go from day one. Any stiffness is a design issue.
One thing that does come to mind is the difference between plating and solid stainless. Anyone who's played around with metals and different platings should understand the different properties from each type. Friction plays a massive part along with softness and malleability.
My take on the taps is that they are probably exactly the same as the PC version. The stainless is less slippery than the PC version and you'll just have to wait for the seals to bed in.

In summary:
- Constantly lubricate the taps with plenty of beer and get those seals bedded in.
- Don't be shy with the FC levers. Treat them like they're advertised and report back if the seals fail.

PS.
I've noticed that these taps work quite well by creating a Guinness style head if you are force carbing and taking samples with the FC lever throttled way back. It's probably nothing, but I'm toying with the idea of a nitrogen mix tap on my bar project.

Got a response from Perlick saying there may be burrs in the flow control assembly, which suggests the flow control levers should operate easily and smoothly. They asked for my address to send replacements out but ive replied explaining I am in the US so will update when I hear back. Finally seems to be evident that it was a faulty batch.

Well replacement 650SS taps arrived this week and they are so smooth to operate the lever even before assembly! Looking forward to installing them and pouring some beer/playing with the flow control.

The knurled (not slotted) cap on the side can be done up normally without the need for backing it off with no impact on flow control level resistance.

Big thumbs up to Perlick for the customer support and standing by their products, even if it was giving me a newer model :)

1404904565032.jpg

Awesome! Now can I have your old ones?

Latest posts

Back