Pepsi corny kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennek

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just had some old pepsi kegs delivered during the week. They still have pepsi tags and seals on the lids so guessing they haven't been opened for ages.

Question is have many cleaned the old syrup up and if so was any other cleaning product required besides the basics?

Usually I just rinse after use then shake up and sponge with napi san etc and hot water then rinse out and sterilize.

Cheers :D

That's all I do, Napisan is about a third Sodium Percarbonate and it's possible to buy the pure stuff which I use.
When there were still heaps of cornies around about five years ago and the bulk buys were happening, most of the kegs I got from CraftBrewer etc still had old syrup in them, no problems.

I'd suggest taking out the dip tube and giving it a good blow through with hot water, also pressurise the kegs and serve some sterile water from them to make sure the lids aren't leaking and the posts are working.

You can buy O ring kits for all the components. If the lid O rings have become hard and shiny you might want to replace them all with the new silicone rings available.

edit: DU99 beat me to it: yes, Tricleanium is pretty good as well, from Bunnings in the yellow tub.
I use a mix of 50/50 Tricleanium and Percarbonate for cleaning lines, should be perfect for the kegs as well.

Then Starsan.

Thanks DU99 and Bribie G :)

Will keep an eye out for those products. Yes have spare silicone o ring kits which I plan to use on them. 2 were still holding a lot of pressure (probably filled by the seller a few days before I recieved them) the other 2 not so much (maybe 5-10 pound). And will strip them down and clean the dip tube etc. Almost tempted to keep one sealed up with the tags for the bar but there is beer to be made :chug:

its found in the painting section not the cleaning products section just to make it easier for you.

barls said:
its found in the painting section not the cleaning products section just to make it easier for you.
Hahahaha that may have just saved me a lot of walking barls. Thanks a heap :)

kennek said:
Hahahaha that may have just saved me a lot of walking barls. Thanks a heap :)
i did that walking and it was only because i knew what it looked like i found it. its the paint prep section with the sugar soap

barls said:
i did that walking and it was only because i knew what it looked like i found it. its the paint prep section with the sugar soap
Well I think it's only fair I make an effort then... Ringing the wife now while she's out to pick some up (less the directions) :p

They are pretty filthy..

15f4tit.jpg

Do a full strip down,scrub ,soak ,clean,rinse then sanitise and replace all the seals as they can be contaminated.

Personally I'd replace all the seals and strip down the kegs one at a time. Be careful if you strip down more than one keg at a time that you mark which dip tube and gas/beer posts come from which keg as the are so many 'standards' around that getting the reassembly wrong us pretty much a given

When I bought my first 2 kegs the syrup smelled truly evil must have been in there for the last 20 yrs. I gave them a hot caustic wash alot of rinsing a soak in napisan for a week and a lot more rinsing. Definitely replace all the seals o rings and poppets.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated :) Will have time today to make a start on stripping them down and cleaning.

michaeld16 said:
When I bought my first 2 kegs the syrup smelled truly evil must have been in there for the last 20 yrs.
lol think I may crack the lids in the garage rather than inside the house or there may be 2 x truly evil things to contend with....

It's also a good idea to have a spare pressure relief valve and a couple of poppet valves stored in a drawer.

Thanks for the reminder Bribie. Have heaps of spares and O ring kits but no pressure relief valves.

Made up a cheap washer copied from some designs found online, seams to be working a treat :)

Pond pump 3000 LPH
PVC pipe and a few elbows etc
Some hose to attach the disconnects to clean both posts and dip tube

izCFhZl.jpg

lFUB1fB.jpg

st4n6Za.jpg

Back