Pectin For Mango Wheat Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog_y2k6

Reaction score
Gday all i have been skulking around reading your great posts for a few months now, but couldnt find an answer to this. I have just put down a wheat beer, and plan to add mango (wife <_< ) in the secondary. The questions is will i need to add pectin enzyme??

I did a mango kolsch a few months back and I found that it just wouldn't clear in the secondary until I added the pectinase. I cut up the mango, then mashed it in a pot (not mash as in to make wort, mashed as in mashed potatoes). I heated that goop up to 80C to pasteurize it, cooled it, then added to secondary. Mango is so full of fibres too. They did settle to the bottom of the fermenter, but those bottom 8 litres or so were unrecoverable.

Gday all i have been skulking around reading your great posts for a few months now, but couldnt find an answer to this. I have just put down a wheat beer, and plan to add mango (wife <_< ) in the secondary. The questions is will i need to add pectin enzyme??
Search around for a post by berapnopod and send him a PM. He sent me some details of how he used Mango, which he does fairly regularly I believe...

Yeh ok so it seem like the pectin is the go, i was thinking of putting all the mango in a big grain/mesh bag to cut down on all that sediment. Would it still work??

Bulldog_y2k6
Pectin is the stuff that causes the problem; Pectinase is the solution. Pectin is what makes jam set and can make beer and wine very cloudy, the enzyme chops it up.

I was down at woollies the other day and there was some 100% mango juice, it was in among the guava, raspberry and cranberry; being heat treated it has no preservative, might be worth a go.

MHB

Search around for a post by berapnopod and send him a PM. He sent me some details of how he used Mango, which he does fairly regularly I believe...

...once a year.

I find my mango beers suffer from a slight cloudiness, but I don't worry about it. They do tend to clear after a month or two in the keg. If you can't wait that long and worry about a slight haze, then follow the others' instructions for pectinase.

Oh and for how I add it, I just mash up the stuff in a blender and add to the secondary, stringy bits and all. After a week I keg, and find the mango bits floating on the top of the beer and reasonably easy to rack from under it. The mango even works pretty well as a filter.

Other bit of advice I have is NOT to use R2E2 mangoes. I did this last year (and so did the Guru) and we both found an unpleasant seafood aroma that developed after about a month.

Berp.

...once a year.

I find my mango beers suffer from a slight cloudiness, but I don't worry about it. They do tend to clear after a month or two in the keg. If you can't wait that long and worry about a slight haze, then follow the others' instructions for pectinase.

Oh and for how I add it, I just mash up the stuff in a blender and add to the secondary, stringy bits and all. After a week I keg, and find the mango bits floating on the top of the beer and reasonably easy to rack from under it. The mango even works pretty well as a filter.

Other bit of advice I have is NOT to use R2E2 mangoes. I did this last year (and so did the Guru) and we both found an unpleasant seafood aroma that developed after about a month.

Berp.

Thanks for your help all, i have added the mango (i found some called "stringless" not R2E2) to the secondary in a big grain bag, as i will be bottling the beer. As for the Pectinase i think i will add it this time, but when i finally start kegging i think i will give it a miss. Thanks for all your help i appreciate it. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out

Latest posts

Back