Partial Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Reaction score
have been doing extract brewing and steeping speciality grains. But i would to try mashing some grains. have built a mash tun out of a esky with a copper manifold.my question is when you start mashing how do you calcalate how much extract to use My normal recipe would use 2500gr malt light extract 75g crystal malted grain &500g dextrose.so if mashed 2kilos of pale malt how much of the extract&dextrose would i cut out

Hey beerbelly,

Im no expert myself (just fermenting my first partial!) but from the reading I've done i'd suggest that 2 kilo's of grain would equate to around half of your required fermentable content.

Therefore I'd go with 2 kg's grain and 1.5kgs Liquid malt extract. Pass on the Dex.

Regards,

JS

Download the trial of Promash
www.promash.com I think. You can enter in all the fields for a recipe and it will give you a pretty close outcome.

When the trail ends, download beersmith and give that a go.

After both trial expired I downloaded pro mash as I liked it better. Others like Beersmith better. But they both make all the calculations for you and are pretty close to the mark.

thanks guys that gives me something to work on. going to do afull boil as well so i purchased a diffusion stone @filter from G&G to aerate the wert and would apperiate any feed back about using one.

Latest posts

Back