Partial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dementedchook

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow using BIAB:

5Kg Pilsner malt with 60min mash @ 65
1.5Kg tin morgans caramalt

60 min boil
100g 11.9%AA citra @15 min.

Aiming for a 23L batch, and fermenting with the mangrove jack's m44 yeast. I thought the single 15min addition should give plenty of flavor, and enough bitterness. Not sure if I should do much else. This is my first go at an IPA and I want to keep it fairly simple.

Any comments, recommendations, random abuse? :p

and IBU
(don't make us do the math!)
I'd probably go for a higher mash, get some more body ('tho I guess you'd get some from the LME)

Aiming for an OG of about 1.065 and IBU of about 55.
Probably run off some of the wort for a starter, and dilute a little. Maybe 600ml and dilute to a liter?

Chilling or no chilling?

Either way, I'd be inclined to add a small bittering charge - bigger if chilling

no chill, but I am using a hop sock so I can pull the hops before I run off into the cube.

Won't change much. Alpha acids isomerise and become soluble in hot wort.
Not worried about it being too bitter - more being bitter enough. You done a 15 minute ipa before?

Haven't done any sort of IPA before. I'm guessing the no chill will mean I have to adjust the hop schedule?

EDIT: Having reread some stuff I'd forgotten about on no chill hopping, I'm going with 20gm @ 60 min (or the full boil), and the remainder is going into the cube with the wort. Should be about 52ish IBU.

Make sure you do a 90 min boil if you are going to use Pilsner malt. It has about 6-8 times the amount of S-methylmethione, which is the precursor to DMS (cooked corn aroma/flavor). You could just substitute it with Maris Otter or regular Ale Malt if you wanted.

Just wondering why you are using a tin of CaraMalt extract??? Just toss in 300 grams of Joe White CaraMalt (Crystal 50EBC).

I've done 15 minute boils before with Citra and they turned out great. If you didn't want to use the whole 100 grams at 15 mins you could toss in 10 grams of Warrior for 60 mins, then 60 - 80 grams Citra at around the 5 - 15 min mark, and then dry hop with the rest of the Citra after 7 days of fermentation.

Also, I wouldn't use Citra for bittering. It has always reminded me of cat piss when you boil it for that long.

Just my $0.02. :)

Cheers!

leave the goo out, spread out the hop additions, mash at 66 and make a nice apa

just my 5c but i wouldnt throw a can of goo in my AG wort

OregonBrewer said:
Make sure you do a 90 min boil if you are going to use Pilsner malt. It has about 6-8 times the amount of S-methylmethione, which is the precursor to DMS (cooked corn aroma/flavor). You could just substitute it with Maris Otter or regular Ale Malt if you wanted.

Just wondering why you are using a tin of CaraMalt extract??? Just toss in 300 grams of Joe White CaraMalt (Crystal 50EBC).

I've done 15 minute boils before with Citra and they turned out great. If you didn't want to use the whole 100 grams at 15 mins you could toss in 10 grams of Warrior for 60 mins, then 60 - 80 grams Citra at around the 5 - 15 min mark, and then dry hop with the rest of the Citra after 7 days of fermentation.

Also, I wouldn't use Citra for bittering. It has always reminded me of cat piss when you boil it for that long.

Just my $0.02. :)

Cheers!
Ah, a little late, but I appreciate the advice for next time. I only did a 60min boil, next time I use pilsner I'll go longer. I'm new to this all grain business. As for the rest, I was pretty much using up stuff I had lying around. I've had the citra sitting in the fridge for ages, the can of goo on top of the fridge for slightly longer. Only really bought the malt and yeast for this brew, was going to grab ale malt but they were out when I got there.

FWIW it ended up being:

5Kg Pilsner malt with 60min mash @ 66
1.5Kg tin morgans caramalt

60 min boil
20g 11.9%AA citra @60 min.
80g 11.9%AA citra in cube

O.G. 1.065
IBU ~52 (off the top of my head)

ran off about 500ml and diluted for a starter (which didn't take, ended up pitching a dry packet directly. THAT launched inside 8hrs)

no chill overnight.

Fermenting now. Smells very nice. :)

Just curious, is 5kg of grain the upper limit for your rig? Otherwise, it would have been just as easy to brew without the goo and hit your target OG.

No particular reason I went with 5Kg of grain. Pretty sure I can do more, but the two or three all grain beers I've done so far I've been aiming for an O.G. of around 1.045ish. This is kind of my use a few things I have lying around brew, and first go at an IPA. I'm running with a 40 urn BIAB.
I have such wonderful smells coming from the fermenter. :icon_drool2:

biggest beer i did in a 40l urn was 1.072, that wasnt really maxing it out but i think any higher and efficiency would start dropping rapidly

tonesbrew said:
biggest beer i did in a 40l urn was 1.072, that wasnt really maxing it out but i think any higher and efficiency would start dropping rapidly

Good to know I can go a bit bigger. Can't think of much I'd go bigger than that, and anything bigger I reckon I'd bulk out with extract.

If anyone is interested, I bottled this today. When I tried a little out of the bottling wand I was wondering who'd been squeezing rock melon into my beer. There's a little bitterness there, but I swear all I can taste is melon. I'll see what it's like when it's carbonated, but I think next time I'll go a little more bitterness, not much though.

Big thumbs up for the yeast though, had to get in there and scrape it off the bottom with my fingers.

Latest posts

Back