Extract - Leftovers IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maaark

Reaction score
Hey everyone, after having success with brewing my first extract beer (Pacific Ale clone) I am keen to do another one and use up some left over hops I have in the freezer. What do y’all think of this recipe? I am aiming for a English IPA. These are the ingredients I already have on hand:

1.5kg Coopers Light LME
1.5kg Morgans Caramalt LME
30g Chinook @ 60 mins
20g EK Goldings @ 20 mins
10g EK Goldings @ 10 mins
30g Citra (dry hop on day 4)
14g Coopers Ale Yeast (2 sachets)
21 litre brew

For some fresh grain I was thinking about doing a 24 hour cold steep of the following:

500g Victory Malt
200g Crystal

Someone suggested the Victory to me and I just plucked the amount out of the air – is 500g overkill? I’ve only ever used Choc, Crystal, CaraRed & Carapils with my brews. Also, if the Citra is going to clash with all the other flavours I have then so be it, I can use it somewhere else. Thanks for reading.

Cheers + beers,
Mark

A couple of thoughts:

- citra will push it into the American IPA territory.
- that does sound like a lot of victory- I've never brewed with it, but I'd back it off by half.
- can you buy a better yeast? Won't cost much, but will improve the brew. Boil the kit yeast & add it as yeast nutrient

Have you punched the numbers into some brewing software?

Thanks for your reply mate. I might go with 200g of Crystal & 300g of Victory. Here are the numbers I’ve got so far without adding Citra into the equation.

OG 1052 / FG 1012
IBU 50 / EBC 19.2

I almost always use a spec yeast but the thinking behind this brew is to use up some left overs and I have about half a dozen Coopers sachets in the fridge. Plus I’ve never had a problem with their yeast before so I might as well chuck it in.

Was just reading more about victory & a recommendation to keep it between 5 & 15% of total "grain bill". Your original plan would have out you between 10 & 15%. I recon 300g is a good compromise & leaves you with enough to add to another brew, but if you chuck it all in you'll be ok too.

I think your last revision sounds good.

Drop the victory to 250g and double check the variety you are using is steepable.

I would hesitate using the caramalt tin as well as the crystal - go all pale dme or LME + grain

Chinook, citra and your yeast will drive you well away from UK IPA - in the case of a leftovers brew like this, I don't think that matters at all but just so you know.

Thanks manticle. I'll take your advice on board regarding the Caramalt.

I am going to hold on to the Citra for another brew. However will using the Chinook as my bittering hop produce an overwhelming grapefruit taste? or is 30g a safe amount?

Cheers.

You will get an unmistakeable resin from chinook, even early. Nothing wrong with it - I like it in the appropriate beer but it's not a neutral bittering hop. I also get a pine character (cone not apple) but not a lot of grapefruit. I believe Chinook and EKG have been successfully combined in some versions of LC pale.

Back