Rye IPA critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taeanbrewer

Reaction score
This is the recipe I generated on Beersmith

I had photos though they won't upload :S

American Rye IPA

21l batch
6.65% ABV
OG: 1.068 / FG: 1.018
IBUS: 50.5
Colour: 14.6 EBC

5kg Gladfield Ale Malt
600g Rye
400g Wheat
300g Caramalt
200g Caraamber

20g Magnum @60
10g Chinook @40
7g Mosaic @20
7g Simcoe @10

70g both Mosaic + Simcoe dry hop 7 days in primary, test and adjust for secondary dryhop

Misc - 8g Gypsum mash addition, Whirlfloc 1 tab, yeast nutrient 1 tsp

Yeast- M44 Mangrove Jacks West Coast Start at 18C and move up to 20-21 after 5/6 days (1 packet)

Does anyone think I should up the caramel malts to 10% or above to help mellow out the rye? Just under 10% of rye so it isn't an overload. Also does anyone have a good hop ratio for Mosaic and Simcoe? I also have cascade to play with if that is a must in a rye IPA,

Cheers

Don't want to nay-say, but be careful with that yeast. There was a dedicated thread on it recently.

I've had nothing but drama with it and dumped both batches I brewed with it. Slow to start, both when rehyrdated and sprinkled over the wort. This exposed other flaws in my process and allowed DMS, infections, what have you.

However, this is only my opinion as others have had good results.

Can't comment on the rest of the recipe based on experience, but it looks good.

If you have a stir plate getting going on that before pitching, or go 3 packs, if it were something like US05 I'd go 2 packs. Slow starter go 3.

definitely go with 2 packets rehydrated and with that Yeast, as mentioned it will have a very long lag so your cleaning and sanitation needs to be excellent to avoid any problems.

For the malts, < 10% rye is a good amount, I wouldn't be trying to mellow out the character with sweetness of caramalt when you rye is sub 10%, finishing @ 1.018 will be already sweet enough.

The only thing to mention with the dry hops is maybe just 35g each for 5days @ 21c will get you a good aroma. Id personally add the mosaic/simcoe combo @ 15m and 5mins with about 21g each.

I'd be tempted to up the rye to closer to 20% and be sure to crush it fine. I've found that just running it through the mill with the rest of the grains can make it hard to detect in the finished product. But I have the palate of a cro magnon man and like my flavours to lack subtlety . Just be careful sparging with that amount of rye and wheat.

I wouldn't up the crystal, if anything I'd back it off. Either way I'd keep my mash temps low to try and dry it out a bit but that's just how I like an IPA.

Regardless, that recipe looks like it'd make a nice drop and it's making me thirsty.

Agree about the yeast. I've used mangrove jacks three times and dumped all three. Only dumps in four years of brewing. Stick with 05 for dry in an IPA

Latest posts

Back