Partial Boils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Arcana

Reaction score
G'day fellow brewers

I have a question regarding boil sizes, what is the main difference between partial boils, eg 6litre boil compared to a 15 litre boil or a full wort boil?

Does it have anything to do with EBC?

The reason i ask is that i messed up a an APA a few weeks back where i added way to much crystal malt (500gm) to a 19litre batch, the result was definitely drinkable but a definite sweet (fairy floss) flavour was prevalent, it also came with a medium copper tone colour.

Now i recently made a batch of the Hop Hog Clone and my previous version was a complete success, this time instead of 21 litres i made 23 litres and upped the crystal malt from 150gm to 200gm, I tried this tonight and it has the exact same colour to it like the APA i made.

Why would it be the same colour if the APA i used 500gm of crystal for and 19l batch and the Hop Hog clone i used 200gm and 23 litres.

(Just to clarify both the APA and the Hop Hog Clone only had had light LME and light DME included)

It also has this a slight hint of the fairy floss sweet flavour to it again, does the boil size of the wort contribute to this?

Hope this makes sense.

cheers,

Dan

You have added 33% more crystal to less than 10% more liquid...that will certainly cause a significant increase in colour.
Was the extract base exactly the same for both brews, doesn't take much extra DME to cause darkening of your wort.
Size of the boil shouldn't matter if your ingredients are scaled to allow for differing sizes.
Get some software like 'brewmate' and play with the numbers to see the differences, it can be quite surprising.

Sounds like you might like fairys.

Fairy floss is nothing but sugar. It doesn't make sense that glucose would be left over unless either fermentation wasn't complete, or you haven't left the brew to condition long enough.

What comes to mind when doing a partial boil is that less sugars will caramelise than a full boil of the extract, but I don't think it would alter the sugars all that much, that is for the fermentation.

If there were much of a difference between a full boil and partial boil, I would suspect the full boil to have more bitterness and hop aroma as there would be more sugars in solution of a full boil for the hop proteins to bind to, but don't listen to me. I'm new at this and probably talking out my ass.

Listen to whoever corrects me.

Thanks fellas i definitely have put the fairy floss taste to the crystal malt.

yum beer: the colour of both the Beers is exactly the same, the APA though had 500gm of crystal at a 19litre batch ,and the Hop Hog Clone had 200gm of the same crystal but in a 23litre batch. do you think this may come down to a LME issue?

cheers

Latest posts

Back