parcel rates rise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rural people are hard done by?

A stamp costs the same to send to the next suburb as it does to Oodnandatta, an express satchel is delivered for the same cost Dobbo to Broome as it is from Ashfeild to Enfeild.

I'd say the city people are actually supporting and sponsoring us.

To be fair, this is the second price rise on the satchels in a couple of months, and it's a substantial one too.

They are the only game in town that will deliver to your door anywhere in Aus for a stated fee. I spend (or my customers do) hundreds and hundreds a month at my local PO. I get exceptional service for that.

punkin said:
Rural people are hard done by?

A stamp costs the same to send to the next suburb as it does to Oodnandatta, an express satchel is delivered for the same cost Dobbo to Broome as it is from Ashfeild to Enfeild.

I'd say the city people are actually supporting and sponsoring us.

To be fair, this is the second price rise on the satchels in a couple of months, and it's a substantial one too.

They are the only game in town that will deliver to your door anywhere in Aus for a stated fee. I spend (or my customers do) hundreds and hundreds a month at my local PO. I get exceptional service for that.
We have found the same at work...most couriers and general carriers(Star Track, TNT ect) won't even look at home addresses let alone rural addresses.

NewtownClown said:
AV fuel and petrol are much cheaper in the US.. Wages are lower, too.
We can't have it both ways. There are few countries that Australia can compete with on wages and salaries. This fact is acknowledged by government, business and unions. Yet Australian consumers continue to look for cheap imports - It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

NewtownClown said:
Neil Mitchell, 3AW, it must be true, we are being screwed. Let all the business go to private operators for they would NEVER take advantage... Pitchforks at the ready! Let's go postal on the posties!
I'm not quite sure that coming from Sydney you would be familiar with Neil Mitchell and 3AW, but by the vibes coming from your message you must be or else you wouldn't comment

BTW just noticed Aus Post posted a $216 Mill profit... not bad for a struggling business.

Look mate it's obvious you have connections with Aus Post, I am not picking a brawl with Aus Post, all I am saying is that the trend these days is that greed is a common factor and seems to come to the fore in many businesses aussie wide, Aus Post and Private Enterprises included, and I for one am just jack of being one of the many being ripped off.

I just got stung today posting off another bunch of hop pounds.

$8.25 for a 500g satchel now. And $13.40 for a 3kg one.

Grrrr.

Post is still cheaper than driving to the bottlo for a six pack ??
Money to be saved by using a 3kg post satchel, even if you dont need the extra gear.
Nev

tricache said:
We have found the same at work...most couriers and general carriers(Star Track, TNT ect) won't even look at home addresses let alone rural addresses.
StarTrack is wholly owned by AusPost.
StarTrack is Australia's largest air and road transport network. They are working hard on getting on board with the home delivery market because of the online sales boom.
I personally would not recommend them because it would just mean more work for me.

Ok,

We run an online business for a living, have done for about 5 years.

We obviously have tried and costed most forms of delivery and at the end of the day, have found AusPost to be the most reliable and most cost effective.

Fastway couriers do a great job at a great price, only cheaper than AusPost when local - as in with you local metro area. Thats said, the sender needs to think about lost items and proof of delivery etc... Fastway fail to the extreme on this. We had an item, damaged by them by their own admitting, that took 4 months to finally receive our insurance claim.

AusPost very rarely lose an item and if they do, it is sorted very quickly and efficiently. We use a system called ePacel which is, if you have ever shopped at Grocery run, Ozsale, Dealsdirect, Brands Exclusive etc use, you will know they require sig on delivery and are trackable. Why would some of the biggest online business' in Australia use them if it wasn't the best way??

We send over 100 items a day and, as a percentage, I would guess about 1% or less items have issues.... Thanks to an efficient and well managed delivery network that was the original and has now grown with the current online boom.

We use to try, send this with them and this with those - to try and save us and our buyers a dollar or 2.... pointless.

THE ABOVE IS SAID AS A SELLER.

AS A BUYER:

AusPost is also winning here, as if you are not home to sign it is left at your local PO. If Fastway or whoever cant deliver you need to pick it up from their depot... it may be suburbs away!

ANYWAY, sorry for the rant but I find the 'anti' AusPost thing annoying as they are not only delivering your hops on time, they are making sure granny has her xmas cards delivered too...

18.4c

Sorry back On T:

They haven't just increased pricing on their satchels, they have restructured they way you send your parcel by providing options at a cost, rather than a set cost for those old satchel options....

Anyway,

Carry on.

No courier can compete when sending to WA from the eastern states, quoted 5-10 days by road.. That's not a competitive service, not even close.

Yob, I can tell you that, Fastway have a bulk truck drive to WA once a week in off peak times and twice in peak.

So, you have an item collected Wednesday arvo. Their truck has just left, it will sit there until the next wednesday before it leaves vic to head to WA again.... this caused some real issues for us.

Maybe wrong - but have found this to be the case!

If Aussie post are ramping up charges I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a precursor to privatisation.
Same thing happened to Telecom Australia. Put up pricing, people complain, private sector says it can run it cheaper, increased prices improve the balance sheet, brokers mark the stock as a buy if it lists on the stock market, Govt hungry for money, senior management hungry for big private sector salaries. So it gets sold. Few years later, thousands of jobs are gone and prices we pay are even higher.

Edit: And thank you, Margret Thatcher

Cocko said:
Do you mean RIP Maggie?
Tongue was in cheek. It was she that started the whole privatisation of public assets thing. I won't say anything bad about her until after her funeral, but then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: sp

sillyboybrybry said:
StarTrack is wholly owned by AusPost.
StarTrack is Australia's largest air and road transport network. They are working hard on getting on board with the home delivery market because of the online sales boom.
I personally would not recommend them because it would just mean more work for me.

I may have to revisit the Startrack depot if this is the case about delivering to homes. That is the sole reason i didn't complete the 10 page application to become an account holder with them.
I find Auspost restrictions on large and heavy items to be pretty limiting in some of the major equipment i need to ship, and the crates are getting bigger in the next couple of weeks.

hellbent said:
Don't know if its been mentioned anywhere in the forums but as of today parcel postage goes up so Australia Post can cash in on the online shopping happenings. I heard on 3AW this morning that some parcels rates will rise by approx. 30% and there will be a $2.90 fee to sign for goods. Greed comes first again **** Aussie Post!!!

Why do you have to be so extremely NSFW on my YouTubes, hellbent?

Latest posts

Back