Pale malt definition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
When I look at a recipe to brew often the base malt will be listed as

6.5 or 7 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)

Or similar

Does a description like this refer to a specific malt eg Maris Otter or will any base 2 row malt do eg Trad Ale, Golden Promise?

That would be from an American recipe.
Any Pale Malt would do.

Thanks for the reply
That being said would Maris Otter vs Trad Ale change the flavour profile of say an IPA recipe?

They each have their own flavour profiles.
Maris Otter is an English Ale malt made specifically for the English Ale market.
Trad Ale is an Australian malt .

MO will give more of a nutty flavour profile.

The only way you will know what suits you is to use them both .

If the IPA is English than Maris Otter, if American Trad Ale.

Regards

Ok so I brew pale ales, English brown ale and porters so if I was going to keep 1 base malt because of space restrictions what would you suggest?

UK Malts. Maris Otter, Pearl, Golden Promise. In the case of darker beers, you might like to try Thomas Fawcett Mild Malt when available.
American pale ales do very well on UK malts.

Barrett and Burston Pale Malt is lighter than their ale malt and is akin to a pisener malt,

If my choice was B and B malt then I would use B and B Ale if I was following a US recipe in most cases.

For American IPA's, even APA's, BB or JW Ale Malt is fine. You can add a % of munich to up the maltiness, but IMO you're not going to pickup the subtle differences in your base malts when you're drinking a hop monster.

For a porter, if your original recipe calls for MO, use MO. If your original recipe calls for Pale Malt 2-row, use Aussie Pale Malt.

If you're designing a recipe from scratch, it all depends on what you want to achieve. I like 20% munich with Pale Malt in IPA/APA's, but others may disagree..

Maris maris maris maris maris.

My preferred base for so many beers but definitely anything UK. Golden promise is good too but my vote goes with the above. I also use maris in my hoppier us styles (I don't really make DIPAs though) and it definitely trumps over trad ale+munich grist.

Back