Painting A Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a Keezer and I would like to paint it. I have done searches here and online and it appears that White Knight paints maybe the way to go. However, I am disappointed with their range of applince paint colors, according to their website there are only 4 colors being White, Vanilla, Satin or Black.

I have noticed quite a few members here have other colors including blue, red, yellow, orange a huge range of what I can find.

Therefore, I am wondering what type of paints were used and where did you get them from and what difficulties did/have you experienced when you painted your appliance and if there are any you have now.

AF, I used a White Knight rust primer as the base layer and then did a couple of light coats with their satin spray paint. Although my final coats were with a Hammer Finish silver (I think it was made my Rustoleum) - all of which I got from the green shed... After the rust primer layer I wouldn't be too concerned about which brand/type of spray you go for so long as it has a reasonable temperature range. I used the satin as that is what I wanted, but it is more expensive than other non-appliance sprays. I considered a paint/roll on style but figured I wouldn't get the even finish that a spray can offer. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

TKF

Hi, I have three fridges done in green, mandarin and red.

The paint I used on all three was White Knight Squirts - Quick Dry Gloss Enamel - spary cans.

All fridges/freezers were lightly sanded back, then undercoated with White Knight undercoat, then painted, then I finished with White Knight Clear Gloss.

Average cost $100-$120 per fridge, but its well worth it if you want a great finish that will last forever.

Good luck

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Any decent spray can enamel or epoxy will do..

Naturally, the more you pay, the better the result.

If you decide on priming and top coating, don't mix water and oil/solvent based paints between coats, stick with 1 type. Anything other than spray will look cheap.

If your after a particular colour you could also consider using automotive paint then top it with a couple layers of clear coat.
You wil get a bold look and the solvent base will dry quicker between coats than the turps based paints (this time of year they will be 'tacky' for days). You can get them in spray cans but if you have a compressor and spray gun you will get better results.
Assuming your freezer is 'appliance white' enamel, it should be ok as a base but it might be worth giving it a light sand with fine 'wet and dry' to take the 'gloss' off it as it will help the primer adhear better (and help flatten the surface). To ensure you don't get any incompatability between what is on the freezer and what you want to use, give it a good clean with the required paint thinners (i'd do this before buying the paint). If it blisters then you will need to strip it.

+1 for automotive paint. It is the ultimate finish, and you can get any colour you like

Some shops even mix up colours and put them in spray can for you. But you can only get these in acrylic, as two-pack will go off in the can, unless you use in within 1 hr of it being put in the can.

www.ironlak.com

Pretty much any colour you'd want. Low pressure, SUPER vibrant colours designed for graffiti art and usually around $7-8 per can.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=56816
I did this last weekend. Took me about 2 hours.

The Frig-28 (hey, I like Top Gun)

05082011417.jpg

I had to make a lid to replace the one on my freezer because someone had destroyed the original using it as a chopping board. I was pleased with the White Night Vanilla colour because it looks okay with timber, & besides I'm an old fart with reserved taste in this department.

:icon_offtopic: I'm obviously just as stuck in the old days with my spelling as the @#$%#$% spell checker is now trying to tell me I've misspelled colour, but its failed I'm afraid.
DSCF0001.JPG

I am in the process of building a Keezer and I would like to paint it. I have done searches here and online and it appears that White Knight paints maybe the way to go. However, I am disappointed with their range of applince paint colors, according to their website there are only 4 colors being White, Vanilla, Satin or Black.

I have noticed quite a few members here have other colors including blue, red, yellow, orange a huge range of what I can find.

Therefore, I am wondering what type of paints were used and where did you get them from and what difficulties did/have you experienced when you painted your appliance and if there are any you have now.

i realise it's paint your'e after but if you want to go for something a bit different i built a kegerator a few years ago and covered it with tongue & groove, didn't come up too bad imo Kegerator

cheers

Thanks for the replies.

Yardy, I saw your keezer and was going to go with the tongue in groove but have since changed my mind.

Clutch, I read your post which was what inspired me to do something before I build the keezer.

I never even thought about auto paint. What a great idea. However, I may find it hard to access compressors and guns to use it.

I might have a look into Ironlak and failing that I'll just have to resort to some spray enamel

I did a keg fridge recently and used high gloss enamel applied with a roller. 2 coats, all i did was clean, tape and paint. Get a good quality paint and you're laughing. 1 ltr cost me $27, which was then soplit into two colours.
Cheers
:icon_cheers:

keg_fridge.jpg

I wasted $ 90 on Hammered spray cans on my first chesty, never ended up the way I wanted, so with the 500litre fridge I did a litre can of enamel and a roller and totally kicked but compared to the expensive spray cans. A couple of coat of Rolled enamel works wonders and very durable.

My LHBS has a kegerator in the shop that was done with Kilrust and a roller. Looks brilliant.

how do these paints go on the plastic trimmings, any issues or fine to just paint over?

I just sanded mine back and painted over them. There doesn't seem to be any issues but having said that, it's only a week old.

I wasted $ 90 on Hammered spray cans on my first chesty, never ended up the way I wanted, so with the 500litre fridge I did a litre can of enamel and a roller and totally kicked but compared to the expensive spray cans. A couple of coat of Rolled enamel works wonders and very durable.

What brand and type of paint did you use ?
Is this oil based enamel and if so do you just chuck the roller or try to clean it up with turps. I know with water based paint it takes a lot of water to clean up the roller.

Have you thought about using contact or wall paper? Just a thought.

Have you given blackboard paint a thought? A great way to display the beers you have on tap and also for on the spot notes you need to write down in the brewery.

Cheers

Home_Brew_Stuff_025.jpg

What brand and type of paint did you use ?
Is this oil based enamel and if so do you just chuck the roller or try to clean it up with turps. I know with water based paint it takes a lot of water to clean up the roller.
I used Kill Rust Enamel I think Marine Blue and used little disposable rollers where the packaging is the tray and you can get refills for them too. Its a real cheap option and works fantastic especially for the edges, I used one roller head per coat. Pity I haven't got any pics on me to show you found at the Big Green Thing but I think other Hardware or paint places should stock them too.

Latest posts

Back