Paddy's Challenge 2nd Edition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
We are looking at running this comp again with a few changes, one of those being the winner will be pouring a couple of kegs of his brew at the paddys Beer Festival in October. Any suggestions?

Remember when you did a lap of Mount Panorama in the family Tarago & wondered what it would be like to take a spot on the grid in the big race?

Have you ever screamed down the sideline in a game of Wednesday night touch footy, & thought you could make it in the NRL?

You crack a perfect 7 iron to inches from the flag to take out the nearest to the pin in the RSL Social Club golf day? Pack your bags; next its Tour School and a crack at the Pro-Circuit!

Have you ever brewed a beer that you reckon should be on tap at the local for all your mates to rave about?

This is the ALL GRAIN BREWING comp for you!!

Welcome to the inaugural Paddys Challenge. The aim of this competition is to find an amateur brewer that has a beer that is not only a great beer, but will be attractive in a commercial environment. The beer will be judged on flavour, balance, appearance, & sessionability. The brewer of this precious drop will be rewarded with endless bragging rights. The winning beer will be brewed at Paddy's Brewery in a 600-litre batch & will be added to our range. If you live in Sydney or are willing to travel then you are welcome to be present on brew day. We will crack the first keg on a Saturday night with all your mates paying for the privilege of drinking your beer & listening to you brag.

What are you going to brew?
You are trying to produce a commercially viable beer. The best way to tell if a beer is any good is how many kegs are we selling per week? We are not going to replace a beer that is already on tap. You can do some homework by coming in & trying a few of our beers.

Ingredients
Joe White Malts -We are looking for a 100% Aussie grown grain bill!
Hops - Pellets only
White Labs Yeasts only- No dried yeast or cultures from a Coopers bottle etc
We DO NOT use any adjuncts.

Bottling
All entries must be in long-neck (640-750-800ml) bottles.
Glass or PET Bottles are fine. Two [2] must be provided.
All entries will be bagged & refrigerated until required for judging

what date are you looking at this time mate??

what date are you looking at this time mate??

Our beer Festival is on the 2nd Saturday in October so working back from there I would say the winner needs to be sorted by the end of August. If there was a comp on around that time we could simply piggy back this comp along.
Cheers
Gerard

sounds good mate ill get brewing, any limits on entries.

sounds good mate ill get brewing, any limits on entries

I had a dream that there was to be a recipe tick and flick as first stage...only a dream

K

no i meant a limit on number of entries per person.

no i meant a limit on number of entries per person.

Actualy Barls, given the time of year & the fact that the beer will be on tap at our Beerfest, I think it could be an Octoberfest comp. Open up to Weyermann & JW Malts, just remember our system is designed for single infusion mashing.Yeast?? Just come & grab a bucket of our lager slurry.
Cheers
Gerard

Actualy Barls, given the time of year & the fact that the beer will be on tap at our Beerfest, I think it could be an Octoberfest comp. Open up to Weyermann & JW Malts, just remember our system is designed for single infusion mashing.Yeast?? Just come & grab a bucket of our lager slurry.
Cheers
Gerard

Some styles we're looking for:

Oktoberfest / Marzen
Rauchbier
Dunkel
Schwartzbier
Bocks
Helles
Hefeweizen
Krystalweizen
Dunkelweizen
Weizenbock
Kolsch (I wouldn't bother with a Kolsch, very boring style of beer & not worth wasting your time & effort on)
Alt Bier

Any thoughts or comments?

Cheers
Gerard

Oooo now this sounds like fun.

did you say its open to weyermann malts? I dont have any JW malts

cheers

Oktoberfest / Marzen
Rauchbier
Dunkel
Schwartzbier
Bocks
Helles
Hefeweizen
Krystalweizen
Dunkelweizen
Weizenbock
Kolsch (I wouldn't bother with a Kolsch, very boring style of beer & not worth wasting your time & effort on)
Alt Bier

Any thoughts or comments?

Cheers
Gerard

Some good looking styles there Gerard.

Are the only restrictions on yeast that White Labs make them? Or would you rather use your regulars?

Will you be looking for beers strictly to style, or would stretching the boundaries say of a Schwartzbier be okay?

i guess my smoked schwartz is out due to making the smoke malt myself, maybe the straight schwartz thought. ill get back to you

Go the Marzen! Barry Cranstons is always a cracker.

Some good looking styles there Gerard.

Are the only restrictions on yeast that White Labs make them? Or would you rather use your regulars?

Will you be looking for beers strictly to style, or would stretching the boundaries say of a Schwartzbier be okay?

White Labs yeasts, & if you want a bucket of slurry we will have our lager strain available.
Single infusion mash, with Joe White & Weyermann malts.
Hops, pellets only.
I couldn't give a rats about style guidelines, best beer wins.
Cheers
Gerard

Oktoberfest / Marzen
Rauchbier
Dunkel
Schwartzbier
Bocks
Helles
Hefeweizen
Krystalweizen
Dunkelweizen
Weizenbock
Alt Bier

I will sit down later this week & sort out the dates for this comp.

The Kolsch is out. Don't bother entering it as it won't be judged!

Cheers
Gerard

What alcohol content Gerard?

Isnt there some restriction on alcohol content, where if it is over a certain amount, it cant be sold in a schooner and has to be sold in a middy?

Latest posts

Back