Pacific Gem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Hey all,

got myself some pacific gem hops from craftbrewer not long ago, and me, in typical fashion, just grabbed them as they were high alpha and thought they would be good for bittering, and have an ok flavour profile as well.

turns out they are pretty high colohume (sp?) and not that great for high bittering after all, but still alright.

seen a few recipe's floating around using pacific gem, a few apa's mostly, and did notice one hopbursting it.

I guess what im after is peoples experiences with this hop, bit of a flavour description and some good suggestions how to use it. Thinking maybe trying it out in a single hop apa. bittering aroma and flavour, just to get a feel for it.

I've used pacific gem for bittering only a few times and can't really say that I regard the bitterness as harsh

I've also used green bullet (which has a higher cohumulone per craftbrewer) and again can't identify any harshness either

here's a list of the recipes I've made http://hyperfox.info/allgrain01.htm

I think your best bet will be to experiment with it

From a quick google it appears that it is popular in apa's for the bite the higher cohumulone gives

Cheers

The high cohumulone debate is nowhere near done and dusted. Most traditional bittering hops are high coH.

Just used this hop for the first time on the weekend brew. Had no idea what to expect from it, so made up a batch w/ 5kg of Galaxy to 1050 added the hops at 60 and 15 for ~32 ibu's, and fermenting w/ us05. this should give a good idea of what the hops are all about (i hope). I'm a big fan of Chinook (and all the C hops actually) and figured this might be a nice little twist on the chinook. figured I had better have a bit of a play with this hop before deciding to use it for the much anticipated xmas in july swap in Vic.

yeah no worries, I'm guessing it'll be very ordinary, but will give me some idea about the hop characteristics, and how I can get it into a Rye-brew

Cheers, some great replies there, just the sort of info that i wanted.

probably be a little while before i use this hop, as i also have nelson sauvin and D-saaz/riwaka that i want to use first. i'd love to hear how your brew turns out maple, just the kind of brew i was planning on making with it.

apologies guys, I thought it was Pacific Gem that I had, but on review of the brew log, turns out it was actually Pacific Jade. Although, I am quite happy with this one in some respects. The beer lacked maltiness (intended) which exposed the hop, and it was, well, smooth, and somewhat unusual. i think it would be great in a wheat.

I've only used it once, in a mini-mash stout.
I used it for bittering, flavour and aroma, with a little northern brewer for bittering too.

It was perhaps a little lost in the roastiness of this particular stout to really evaluate the hop but it did very well in comps so it can't have been too out of style.

Certainly I liked the character it had and will be using it when I make the AG version this year.

Here's the recipe....
FES

Back