Oz Tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Reaction score
Hi All.

I'm thinking of getting some OzTops to make alcoholic cider and lemonade for my wife.

From what i've read, they work a treat. I'd love to hear how people got on with them, and in particular any recipies for a sweet alcoholic lemonade (my lemon tree is groaning with lemons right now)

The question is, do you need to keep the OzTops on the bottle when you move it to the fridge? Does the ferement keep going, or can i simply cap the bottle when popping in the fridge. How long would a bottle remain drinkable once stored in the fridge?

I'd be handy for me to keep a few litres (say a dozen small coke bottles worth) in the beer fridge for her - but she's only an occasional drinker - so they may stay there for a while.

Cheers.

Paul

you usually just leave the cap on the bottle. If you left it long enough, you might be able to cap it I suppose, but not sure how much carbonation you would lose when doing it. I've kept them in the fridge for a few weeks with no problems. I think they have a FAQ section on their website.

I think if you are thinking of doing some hard lemonade with all those lemons you'd be best doing up a batch in a fermenter and bottling it rather than using Oztops. It only takes a few days to get ready to drink, so I think the main advantage is in just doing up some juice when you need it.

If you do get them, make sure you get them from ebay rather than their site. I bought from their site for $25 but then later noticed they're only $10 on ebay. Even with the postage it should be cheaper there. :angry:

I did a fair bit of searching of hte site, but nothing that answered the questions that I asked. As I said, I haven't heard a bad word about them - just a question of storage or the final product, and whether anyone has made a decent lemonade with them.

Thanks for the ebay tip Stuster - $10+$6 postage. My bid is in. :D

I guess I can always just experiement with the lemonade. The great thing is that you're making small batches, so there nothing to lose!!

G'day,

I have used them quite a bit but have never made a lemonade with them.. so I can't answer that question.

When you store them in the fridge pour from one bottle to another and then screw the Oztop lid back on, some people get turned off from the yeast in the bottom of the bottle and won't touch it. I have never stored them with a regular lid on the bottle but once the temperature drops lower the fermentation will stop and it should be fine.. but then again, it may run the risk of exploding if fermentation continues.

Either way, they make great drinks..

Latest posts

Back