HARD! Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done and dusted and all bottled, definitely no milk taste but it is a little more tart than I expected but hopefully once its conditioned it will take some of that away.
One of my fermenters had a fatal accident while I was cleaning it out, dropped on grass and shattered - not bad for 18yo.

Its been just over 3 weeks since bottling and conditioning is good with just the right amount of fizz, definitely still a little sour but drinkable.
Next batch i will double the lactose to 1kg and leave out the 6 lemons i cut into wedges and added to wort before pitching the yeast, tastes nice with a little midori essence added or fruit punch cordial.

Interesting, keen to do, good to see some pioneers before me!

Is aging important in this brew, or do you just ferment, bottle, wait for it to get fizzy and then drink?

Update: Have begun this brew, but with a couple more lemons. Have experienced no fermentation within 24 hours. Does it normally take longer because of the acidity?

Update: Have begun this brew, but with a couple more lemons. Have experienced no fermentation within 24 hours. Does it normally take longer because of the acidity?

Not sure about the acidity but it did take a while to get going, then it was bubbling its head off for over a week. I tasted a tester after 2 weeks but it needed longer, 3-4 seems about right at a minimum - infact i will put one in the fridge and see how its going.

This looks amazing, keen to give it a go...

On the same theme. I have a question for anyone that has done lemonades before. Rather than adding more sweetener (lactose, stevia, whatever) to reduce the "bitey-ness", has anyone ever tried to "Reduce Acidity" a little using an alkaline additive/buffer? Just wondering if this would increase the perceived sweetness without adding sugar, changing mouthfeel, or strange after-tastes.
Thanks in advance..

This looks amazing, keen to give it a go...

On the same theme. I have a question for anyone that has done lemonades before. Rather than adding more sweetener (lactose, stevia, whatever) to reduce the "bitey-ness", has anyone ever tried to "Reduce Acidity" a little using an alkaline additive/buffer? Just wondering if this would increase the perceived sweetness without adding sugar, changing mouthfeel, or strange after-tastes.
Thanks in advance..

I used less lemons this time and doubled the lactose, first taste is promising.

Hangover68,
How many lemons did you use for the second batch?
Do you have any information on what lemons you used for the Hard Lemonade? The different varieties vary a lot in terms of sourness so some might be suited better than others.
Did they have a tick skin or thin skin? Do the branches have barbs on them? That might help me narrow down what lemons to use.
My dad has lemons that are thin skinned, very juicy with few seeds and almost a bit rounder than the traditional football shape and they are nowhere near as sour. I believe it is a Lemonade type lemon which might make a less tart Lemonade when compared to using a Eureka, Meyer or Lisbon.

Thanks
Roller

Put mine in the fermenter on Saturday, packet of US05, nada action after 36 hours so chucked in another random packet of yeast on Monday and a really old champers one i had, still nothing until last night when i gave it another good swirl .... fizz finally! Something lives ..... god knows what!

Also did some reading that adding a bit extra nutrient might help, sure did! Immediate action around the dissolving nutrient.

I think regular rousing might be the trick.

Possible dumb questions... Can I use carbonation drops when bottling this? And could I add more dextrose to make the alcohol % higher?

Not dumb at all! Yes and Yes! Or cane sugar, honey, etc. Given it's lemon, it's a bit more masking of "sugar" variety. Just bottled mine and chucked some mandarin concoction (i had a few on the tree still!) on the yeast cake ...... smells good, who knows what it will taste like!

Been a few weeks and this batch is much better but lacking a bit of flavour, i didnt add anything apart the lemons as swmbo is a bit picky.
i just use what ever lemons i can scrounge from work colleagues.

Howdy there,
Do you have lemons on a tree like mine, occasionally molested by damn marsupials?
Do you have kids piffing lemons at unsuspecting neighbors?
Have you often though, damn i should getting more bang for buck out of my lemons to life ratio?

I pilfered this from BrewCraft so all credit.
Would you make any amendments?
I am almost tempted to try a bittering hop light like a fuggle just for experimental purposes.
Aroma Dr. Rudi maybe with a dry hop?

Hard Lemonade (Alcoholic)
semi-sweet alcoholic lemonade of about 4.5% strength. You can vary the sweetness by varying the amount of lactose in the recipe or make it dry by leaving the lactose out altogether (see notes)

Ingredients:
• 2kg dextrose
• 500g lactose
• 12-24 lemons, sliced or chopped fine including peel
• up to 50g crushed or grated fresh ginger (optional)
• 5g yeast nutrient
• 1 sachet SAFale yeast
• Water to make up 22 litres of wort

Method:
• Heat 5 litres of water then add dextrose, lactose, lemons & ginger & simmer for 20 minutes.

• Sterilize your fermenter according to directions on the sterilizing compound.

• Add about 12 litres of cold water into your fermenter. Strain the hot mixture into the fermenter.

• Top up with cold water to the 22 litre mark add the yeast nutrient & stir well.

• Make sure the temperature is 30C or less & add the yeast, fit a fermentation lock in the lid of the fermenter & half fill it with water.

• The fermentation should start within 24 hours although it usually ony takes a couple of hours to start. When it starts, bubbles should be rising through the lemonade & stream through the water in the airlock.

• Allow the lemonade to ferment until it stops then allow it to settle & clear for 48 hours.

• Prime bottles. Or keg.

• Fill the bottle to about 50mm from the top then seal it firmly with a crown seal or screw cap.

• Store these bottles in a warm place for a week or 2 to allow them to condition.

Notes:
You can vary the quantities of lemons & ginger to suit your own taste.
You cannot use sugar or glucose to sweeten a bottle fermented drink like this because it will cause the bottles to explode. I will prime them with sucrose so :p
This lemonade is sweetened with lactose which is a non-fermentable sweetener. You can add more or less lactose to suit your own taste. As a rough guide, lactose is about half as sweet as sugar.
Hi Homebrewnewb

What type of Safale yeast did you use.
Or can you use wine yeast?

Thanks in advance
inpowers

Lactose is not generally a good way to introduce sweetness, except where it has been proven, as for example in commercial milk stouts.
I'd recommend for keggers: just back sweeten with lemon cordial or plain sugar syrup made yourself. Beware anything with artificial sweetener.
Don't forget to use a yeast nutrient & consider a champage yeast if your intended ABV is above 4%.

Just bottled my batch after 10 days from start to finish of fermenting. Left it a couple of days before bottle.
Question it has a yeasty smell and taste to it. Should I have left it for a few extra day or week longer before I had bottled it?
Also not as sweet as I thought it would be.

Thanks in advance

Just bottled my batch after 10 days from start to finish of fermenting. Left it a couple of days before bottle.
Question it has a yeasty smell and taste to it. Should I have left it for a few extra day or week longer before I had bottled it?
Also not as sweet as I thought it would be.

Thanks in advance
Well the "yeastiness" may dissipate after you bottle condition.
But if it's not sweet enough maybe add some lactose if you brew it again.

edit oh or as stevonz suggested

Back